Being asked for prize donations to raffles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancetrainer

Reaction score
Hi

I believe it is good publicity to give donations/vouchers etc to various local fundraising events and willingly do so.
However, I am starting to get letters asking me for donations from others who are not local to my business. I work on my own, by myself, from home. I can’t afford to be doing too many free treatments for various events.

I have recently received a letter from a lady who has been to me once for treatment 3 months ago, who is not local and the school she is fundraising for is not my local school in my own village either. This is some 6 or 7 miles away.

I don’t want to appear ungiving but I am a bit peed that I’m being approached by someone who is not local and is not a regular customer especially as I do just work for myself.

Would you just bite the bullet and agree to donate or would you decline it saying you have to limit donations to local community events as you work by yourself. My worry is if I agree to it I’ll be asked at every other event they hold and certainly once a year every year. As I say, I have no issue with doing this for my local community as it’s good for business.

No, definitely don’t agree to it. Why would you work for free when it’s not even supporting something you’re interest in?
Schools ask for donations constantly so you won’t be the first to turn her down.
Whenever you have to say NO to someone, make it clear and don’t try to make up excuses otherwise the other party will try to find solutions for you. :rolleyes:

‘Thank you for thinking of my little business. If you wish to purchase a gift voucher to donate to the school, I’ll be happy to assist you.’

No, no need to do this one for the reasons you state.
Sometimes your business name just gets added to a list somewhere and it generates these letters indiscriminately.

I just give charity vouchers to local things when a current client is in having treatments with me.
I usually write on 'mini- manicure' or mini-pedicure' so it's very specifically a small short treatment for me to do. I don't do money values. I also put a 3 month expiry date on them too.
Sometimes it works well and I gain a new client, other times I just get a 'one-timer' on a freebie. Other times the voucher doesn't come in even though I know someone won it.

Don't give in , they know how to make you feel guilty. You don't need extra pressure to donate...you aren't that busy that you can afford it anyway . Another time , maybe but not just yet.
Be strong and say no thankyou .

If it’s out of my immediate area I don’t do it. Basically if there isn’t a chance of the winner becoming a regular client I’m not interested in giving anything away. You have to be careful and look after your business because nobody else will.

I have to say about 50% of vouchers given away are never used.

CFBS I’m going to adopt your idea of a specific treatment and a short date, thank you [emoji4]

If it’s out of my immediate area I don’t do it. Basically if there isn’t a chance of the winner becoming a regular client I’m not interested in giving anything away. You have to be careful and look after your business because nobody else will.

I have to say about 50% of vouchers given away are never used.

CFBS I’m going to adopt your idea of a specific treatment and a short date, thank you [emoji4]

It’s a little tricky as potentially, the winner of the voucher could become a client as I do have clients who travel to me that inky tends to be for intimate waxing. Most others come from my immediate area. I might just do a voucher for an eyebrow shape and hope they don’t bother to use it.

Latest posts

Back