Best advertising strategies?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chreewebb

Reaction score
Hi there, I opened a small Tanning Salon January this year and I've got off to an okay start :) Just wondering what you guys think is the best form of advertising... what you've found the most effective and gotten good results from for the money/time you put into it. The week before I opened I did a lot of flyering the local area and shops etc however haven't done any since. I do all my advertising on Facebook and usually spend about £40 a month on average. I have thought about going in my local village magazine which costs around £35 for a small ad for one month I think. Newspapers I've always thought were a bit of a waste of time for the money you have to pay and I'm not sure it would reach the right audience. Do you think flyering again would be a good investment?

Thanks for any advice and help!! :)

Also do any of you use Twitter or Instagram and find it helps your business? Thanks again :)

Flyering is great! Always brings in new clients for me, also have you thought about your local shops etc? Ad's that I put up in local shops do really well, I make a tear off area at the bottom so that people can tear off a small tab with my number and website info on it (get in touch if you want me to make one for you). The great thing is about the shop ad's is that most of them do not charge, and the ones that do it is just a small cost per week - if you are running a special offer you can do an ad like this and leave it running in shop for a month, til your offer expires etc.

Having my own nails done is also great advertising, so I guess having your tan done will do something similar for you. When I was doing tanning, my own tan sold a few for me.. when people comment on how lovely it is, this is your time to say how much you enjoy working in the tanning industry or something like that, it can often end up with you handing over a business card or two.

Tell your hairdresser, tell everyone, spread the word :)

Hope you new place works out super well <3

Flyering is great! Always brings in new clients for me, also have you thought about your local shops etc? Ad's that I put up in local shops do really well, I make a tear off area at the bottom so that people can tear off a small tab with my number and website info on it (get in touch if you want me to make one for you). The great thing is about the shop ad's is that most of them do not charge, and the ones that do it is just a small cost per week - if you are running a special offer you can do an ad like this and leave it running in shop for a month, til your offer expires etc.

Having my own nails done is also great advertising, so I guess having your tan done will do something similar for you. When I was doing tanning, my own tan sold a few for me.. when people comment on how lovely it is, this is your time to say how much you enjoy working in the tanning industry or something like that, it can often end up with you handing over a business card or two.

Tell your hairdresser, tell everyone, spread the word :)

Hope you new place works out super well <3

I think I'm going to do a load of flyering again in the new year (and shops too!) I like to think I have a nice tan, nothing extreme just a nice colour.. I don't actually go on much myself, just enough for a nice glow :) Thanks for the help Rachel :)

The thing with advertising is you have to do it anywhere and everywhere and do it over and over again.

I do Facebook, website, leaflet drops, local magazine every month, Twitter, Instagram and so on.

Some clients will put everything that comes through their door into the bin but will Google for a local tan and some will find you on Facebook and if you keep at it, yours will be the name that they think of for a tan because they've seen your name everywhere.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The thing with advertising is you have to do it anywhere and everywhere and do it over and over again.

I do Facebook, website, leaflet drops, local magazine every month, Twitter, Instagram and so on.

Some clients will put everything that comes through their door into the bin but will Google for a local tan and some will find you on Facebook and if you keep at it, yours will be the name that they think of for a tan because they've seen your name everywhere.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's true.. suppose you just have to be consistent with it! Thanks :)

There's no "magic bullet" way of doing it really :) God knows I wish there was :)

Best thing to do is try lots of things lots of times!

Some of them will stick (so, do them again and again and again) and some won't (so don't).

For example, some people will swear by leaflets, and some will find them a waste of time.

That all sounds wishy-washy really, and non-specific, but there are so many variables with our "level" or business (i.e. small one-man-bands or very localised businesses) that we can't account for. The demographics of your area, or what kind of client you're trying to attract might be totally different to someone in a different part of your town, let alone someone from a different part of the country!

Write yourself a list of marketing techniques (Facebook, leafleting, recommend a friend schemes, email marketing etc etc.), and give yourself a monthly budget (it needn't be massive, and don't be swayed into paying for expensive advertising) to stick to. Take it from me, you can easily market a small business for less than £50 a month.

And If you can't measure it, you can't manage it. Make sure you're tracking what is successful and what isn't.

Latest posts

Back