Best enhancement materials?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieJ

Reaction score
I don't offer any kind of nail enhancements. I have a manicure qualification (level 2) and have completed the Shellac 'bring them back' course. I currently offer manicures with Vinylux or Shellac (along with other beauty treatments) as a mobile therapist.
I am contacted frequently by ladies wanting tips, gel overlays, acrylics etc.... So I have decided I would like to train further, so I can add enhancements to my treatments but I have no idea what the difference is between all the different materials.
Please could you advise me which is the best product to use? Should I train in Acrylic or Gel? Which do clients prefer? Is it a damaging service long term? What are the chances of clients nails becoming infected underneath? And are they prone to breaking and frequent complaints/requests for repairs? Thanks very much in advance for any advise you can give me x

I think it depends on the quality of the product you use. I use both acrylic and gel and its nice to offer people a choice. I find older ladies who have had acrylic for years often want to "stick with it" and that's fine. I find its often younger women who want to try gel but I think a lot of gels are falsely marketed as being better for the nails because they let them breathe - what rubbish! But I think gel can be really good too, but not for that reason! (I use BrisaLite Sculpting for extensions) and it truly is the best gel I have used, other gels sometimes have peeled or lifted or just not lasted very well, so it pays to do your homework. Then again you have the NSS salons who offer gel, charge more for it,and then get the liquid and powder out, but thats another story . . .

Neither product will damage the nails, it is the nail tech who can do that with over zealous filing procedures, or poorly educated clients who pull off their nails rather than come for a soak off or who go ridiculously long times between infills (3 weeks is really the max unless someone has a very slow growth).

With regard to infection, prevention of lifting is the key here as a lifted pocket under any product, gel or acrylic, can then get infected for example when the client washes her hands, water creeps into the lifted part, and then hey presto the next week you have Pseudomonas (greenies) ...a bacterial infection which is so easily prevented by a) not having lifted product in the first place, so good quality gels or acrylics, plus careful and correct application, and b) educating your client to return to you if she sees some lifting so you can repair and prevent an infection happening.

Whether it is a damaging service long-term can depend on all these factors, but again, with proper care and application, the answer really should be no.

Top end products are strong and durable but of course, at a certain point of impact, acrylics and gels are designed to break or come away from the nail (for example, shutting your nail/fingertip in a car door or window) rather than hang on and drag your nail off your nail bed. This is good thing lol! On the whole, its fairly easy to determine whether clients should return every 2, 2.5 or 3 weeks (and it does vary, depending on their growth, their use of their hands, and the length they wear them - and of course, the care they take of them, for instance they should be oiling daily with a good quality cuticle oil such as Solar Oil or, my new favourite, Dadi Oil:Love: and they should be wearing gloves to protect their nails from damage from cleaning products/bleach etc, and also not sitting in hot tubs or saunas for hours). Returning within the given timeframe and proper aftercare should minimise breakages.

The nail extension game is not cut and dried by any means, and I can do the same thing on 10 clients and if they all return in 3 weeks their nails will all be in a different state depending on all these factors. So don't expect it to be a one-size fits all thing (like I did initially lol)! Having said that it is tremendously satisfying and very gratifying and I wouldn't want to do anything else:D)

Hope this helps a bit! x

Last edited:
blossom - that helps a lot! Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed reply.
The requests I get are mainly from younger clients, so maybe gel is the way to go?
Are the nails built up with a tip glued on then gel on top or sculptured with gel?
And the gel is light cured? Is acrylic just air dried? How long does it take to dry?
Which is quicker to use, gel or acrylic?
Sorry, I bet there are lots of nail geeks currently rolling their eyes at my stupidity but it's completely new territory to me x

blossom - that helps a lot! Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed reply.
The requests I get are mainly from younger clients, so maybe gel is the way to go?
Are the nails built up with a tip glued on then gel on top or sculptured with gel?
And the gel is light cured? Is acrylic just air dried? How long does it take to dry?
Which is quicker to use, gel or acrylic?
Sorry, I bet there are lots of nail geeks currently rolling their eyes at my stupidity but it's completely new territory to me x

Well possibly yes, gel does seem to be requested more by younger clients. But if its any gel except Brisa, I would say they're not as robust as acrylic in my opinion. And I would say gel is easier to learn.

A plastic tip is added to the natural nail, cut to the right length, and then blended with hand files, so that you can't see the join. Clients often think this is the acrylic bit, but the acrylic (or gel) is in fact the product that you put on top of both the natural nail and the tip. You can then file and shape the product until you're happy and then buff to a shine with some oil and a buffer or use a brush on gel top coat for shine.

With acrylic (also called liquid and powder) the product sets by mixing acrylic liquid with acrylic powder and it sets while you work with it, so you can get some pretty funny shapes starting out! With gel, you apply it in layers and it doesn't set hard until you expose it to UV light.

If you don't like using tips, you can sculpt by applying a form beneath the natural nail and building the product out onto it. I would say this is easier to get wrong than tips personally.

After 10 yrs of doing nails, I would say there's not much difference in timings. But in the first few months or so, gel might be a bit quicker.

No roll-eyes - I know where you're coming from. I was completely clueless when I first started learning nails, I just knew I wanted to produce these wonderful nails and was determined to learn how.

(You can apply Shellac over gels and acrylic extensions as well.)

x

blossom - I can't thank you enough for all the info you've provided, you've answered my queries perfectly. I think that gel sounds like the way for me to go. I like Brisa lite smoothing gel so I suppose carrying on with the Brisa system makes good sense, as I know it's a quality product. Thanks again x

Latest posts

Back