Best way to do acrylic glitter fades?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbee

Reaction score
it it better to : 1) apply tip then l &P then use a coating of shellac and apply the glitter fade into the inhibition layer, or to 2) just mix the chosen glitter with clear acrylic and fade from each end ?
Also, can I apply a tip then shellac directly over it, (only a short length) or would it need to capped with clear acrylic then shellaced?

it it better to : 1) apply tip then l &P then use a coating of shellac and apply the glitter fade into the inhibition layer, or to 2) just mix the chosen glitter with clear acrylic and fade from each end ?
Also, can I apply a tip then shellac directly over it, (only a short length) or would it need to capped with clear acrylic then shellaced?

When I do a glitter fade using L&P, I use straight up glitter powders already pre-mixed (I use only NSI products and they have a huge range of glitter powders).
Depending on the design the client wants depends on where I start.

I would not recommend using just a tip no matter how short under Shellac, Shellac was not designed to give enough strength to use with tips.
If you are wanting to do this, you should apply a layer of L&P over the tip and then your Shellac color.
I do know techs who have done it with just using a tip and then Shellac over the top and they only lasted a few days and all the clients came back unhappy.

I would recommend just using glitter l&p to do fades.

As for applying a tip and then using Shellac over it, I've done this on myself with Gelish. I did it cause I had a few short nails that I wanted to lengthen to match the others. They lasted about 7 days before I broke one. I kept the length really short. I did use 3 layers of color curing between each one and a double layer of TIO. They weren't really strong, but I knew they wouldn't be. I didn't "baby" them, they were put through all the rigors everyday work. If I had, I probably could have worn them longer.

hi, thanks for that - I already have the NSI technicolours and I also mix my own glitter with acrylic so I have a good range, but so far I have never been asked for a glitter fade, and I think they look fab. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back