Big toe trauma?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffyxoxo

Sue
Reaction score
Hi,
A new client had an identical issue with both big toes but no other nail. I’ve enclosed a photo, wondering if anyone can shed any light on this. The bottom quarter of the nail looks perfectly healthy, and the other three quarters looks like it has an extra layer to it... as if something is growing out. Could this be a side effect from a past operation? Or trauma? Not sure what to make of it. Thanks for reading x

Attachments

• A0419E49-3ABF-4D8E-8B33-BC4DD48AA9EA.jpeg
    A0419E49-3ABF-4D8E-8B33-BC4DD48AA9EA.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 83
Hi.
I’ve got a few clients like this, it’s like the new nail is growing up & under the old nail if that makes sense & when I cut their toenails the old nail almost always comes off revealing a nice healthy nail.
I usually find it occurs on the big toe & like you say could be down to trauma, poor fitting shoes etc.
X

Ahh, ok it will be interesting to see what happens when it grows a bit further. Lol, I never thought I’d find someone’s big toe interesting! ‍♀️

Hmm. Well coming from someone that has just grown one out. Yes, this looks like a surgical trauma. My nail took from March 2017 to just this week July 11th, 2018 to clip the very last of it off.
Treat it like you would any other nail but don't be aggressive in filling it down. The nail will grow eventually. I used Keratin vitamins to start back my growth and kept cuticle oil on it. Paint was fine but I never tried to file the nail down as it was layered.
Hope this helps you as I went through this on my own nail and now I know how to help my clients in the event I come across this later. Good luck! :)

Hmm. Well coming from someone that has just grown one out. Yes, this looks like a surgical trauma. My nail took from March 2017 to just this week July 11th, 2018 to clip the very last of it off.
Treat it like you would any other nail but don't be aggressive in filling it down. The nail will grow eventually. I used Keratin vitamins to start back my growth and kept cuticle oil on it. Paint was fine but I never tried to file the nail down as it was layered.
Hope this helps you as I went through this on my own nail and now I know how to help my clients in the event I come across this later. Good luck! :)
Thank you very much for the advise, the new nail growth looked healthy so I’ll just keep an eye on it and not file it x

Latest posts

Back