Gel nails and chlorine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkinewnew

Reaction score
Hi, please can anyone advise me on how to help gel nails last longer?
I do all the usual prep, base 2 colour and sealer.
Should we advise on a specific type of hand cream/cuticle oil?
We have some hairdresser and swimmers who dont seem to be getting much from their gels..

When are you applying the gel enhancements to these clients? The nail plate can hold moisture for up to 3 hours after water exposure. Water exposure will cause the nail plate to swell, if you apply an enhancement you won't get a good adhesion to the nail plate. It's best to apply enhancements when your client hasn't been exposed to water for long periods.
How is your prep? Are the nails lifting or breaking? Where are they breaking or lifting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using SalonGeek mobile app

Prep generally is removal, cuticle treatment, file and buff and sanitise.
So i should advise them to wait 3 hours after water exposure to cone to an appointment?
The last client had cracking from mid nail to the free edge.

anyone have any advise??

Anyone? So basically if your hands are in water your nails wont last?? Does no one know? No one mentioned anything in my training?

After posting questions without getting anywhere or advise from anyone i contacted Bio, heres what they said-

Hi,

As you know, when you are in water for any period of time our skin goes a bit funny and your nails naturally become soft & very flexible, when you are having your nails done you would not be able to see the soft nail but your normal strength nail and you would be creating her nail recipe around this.

When using hard gel on a soft nail it is not unusual to see a cracking effect on your nail. This is easily fixed between visits by using a Bio Sculpture’s Acetone Free Nail Polish Remover and painting a High Gloss Top Coat on your nails.

I would recommend to only use soft gels on your nails like Base Gel, Colour Gel & Soft Gel to finish with to allow the nails better flexibility when wet and prevent the cracking look.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Bio Sculpture

What great advise!

Last edited by a moderator:
i saw your post in the bio sculpture group and you did get replies and advice from a few people who are very knowledgable and have helped me out many times. its up to you if you don't take their advice but why post on here you haven't had any?

To advise people who may have the same questions as myself, always good to share advise!
I had replies- but no actual advise!
They thought i wasn't qualified to do bio- so what if i wasn't? Its no big secret, being trained and having questions is allowed! Just annoying tbh, being new and not getting any creditable replies .

i think the point they were trying to get across is its nothing personal to you questioning if your trained. or newly trained. i probably did about 50 sets of bio before i was really confident in the staying on people nails and that your swimming might not be the only factor in them lifting, could also be types of gel combinations your using, and its hard but sometimes you have to play around with different combos to find out. i do think chlorine can cause lifting of the gels but then iv had some clients that keep them on fine even though they are swimmers. x

Latest posts

Back