Bit of advice from any mobile nail techs out there pls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalLass

Reaction score
Hiya,

Many of these questions may sound a bit daft, but I'm seriously considering setting up a mobile business....I qualified last september with the idea of doing mobile clients around my current part time job...however, it doesn't really work for one reason or another (won't bore you with that now!)....anyway, its got me thinking about giving up my pt job (I'm a PA) and going all out for the mobile nail tech business.

I guess what I really want to know is...did you find it really difficult to get clients for a while and if so, how long do you think it took you to really 'get going' with clients? How long was it before you could draw yourself a 'wage'...I don't expect a fortune, but I need a certain amount to live on and whilst I know that you can't expect to even earn that for a while, I'm just thinking that its a risk and I'm trying to guage how big a risk!! I've done a sort of business plan...but nothing formal as I don't really need finance to get going (I wouldn't get it anyway lol!!). ooh what to do, what to do!! I'm excited and scared pantless by this all at the same time! :eek:
Guess i'm just looking for a few words of wisdom off some of you established mobile tech's.

any advice / reassuring words / words of warning would be gratefully received!!

Hiya,

Many of these questions may sound a bit daft, but I'm seriously considering setting up a mobile business....I qualified last september with the idea of doing mobile clients around my current part time job...however, it doesn't really work for one reason or another (won't bore you with that now!)....anyway, its got me thinking about giving up my pt job (I'm a PA) and going all out for the mobile nail tech business.

I guess what I really want to know is...did you find it really difficult to get clients for a while and if so, how long do you think it took you to really 'get going' with clients? How long was it before you could draw yourself a 'wage'...I don't expect a fortune, but I need a certain amount to live on and whilst I know that you can't expect to even earn that for a while, I'm just thinking that its a risk and I'm trying to guage how big a risk!! I've done a sort of business plan...but nothing formal as I don't really need finance to get going (I wouldn't get it anyway lol!!). ooh what to do, what to do!! I'm excited and scared pantless by this all at the same time! :eek:
Guess i'm just looking for a few words of wisdom off some of you established mobile tech's.

any advice / reassuring words / words of warning would be gratefully received!!

Hi, I'm a mobile tech with one day in a salon, its very quiet at the moment in my area with regards to new clients, people are watching their pennies. If you are serious about starting mobile maybe get your advertising out there and test the demand in your area, you could always fit a few clients in around your work schedule, build it up slowly. If you need to earn a certain amount per week this would be a good way to start, then if you get nothing for a few weeks you still have a wage coming in. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Claire x

Hiya hun, im a mobile nail tech too and would say it is quite quiet at the mo. I think for anyone setting up any kind of business at the mo would probably find it difficult as people are really watching the pennies. I think with the uncertainty of not knowing if their jobs are safe etc people are definately cutting back on luxuries..
If I were you, just for now I would keep your other job (as you say you need to be bringing a wage in) and work around that. I'm a mother of 3 so don't work in the day at the mo (I have a 7month old at home and the other 2 are at school), so I just do evenings and weekends which suits me fine and Ive not had a client yet who has complained that I cant do during the day..

I think that once this whole recession thing blows over and you have established yourself out there as a mobile tech then maybe look at giving up your job... You will have a few clients to start with then who im sure will be happy to recommend you and you can out lots into advertising to bring in new clients..

Hi,

I'm a mobile tech and have been for a few years now, i started with friends and family while i was doing my training and it went from there. When i first started i did it at evenings and weekend arround my full time job, dropping flyer's anywhere i could and put an add in the yellow pages. It works out at about £15 a month and in the summer i get some good leads/clients. it was going so well i ended up quitting my day job and went to work in a salon for 3 days and mobile the rest of the time. This is a good way of getting new clients the only down side is that you can be hanging around sometimes.
But due to the way things have gone at the moment i have gone back to work (in my boring day job ) just because i needed a guaranteed amount of money coming in. I have got a good solid client base that keeps me ticking over 4 nights a week and the occasional weekend. The long hours can be a killer but i love what i do.
But my advice to you would be to keep your part time job at the moment .. just to ride the storm so to speak, build up your confidence and your skills. get some regular clients and see what happens!!!
All the best :) xxx

Thanks very much for your replies. I appreciate what you have all said, especially about it being quiet at the moment.

The only thing is, I can't set the business up to be mobile around my current job, as I will get taxed 22% on everything I earn from the nail side and it just wouldn't be worth it. With that and petrol/product costs, I would be lucky to make £5-£8 profit per set!! I can't really put my prices up too much as it just wouldn't work in my area (the most expensive set of nails around here is £23 and I'm just above that now).

Hmmmm.....:confused:

Latest posts

Back