Bit of advice needed on rent a chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faerififi

Reaction score
I met with a salon owner today who is looking to rent another chair out at his salon.
He isnt a stylist he merely bought the business as an investment, everyone is self employed with their own client base and he just lets them get on with it. The salon itself is a bit of a blank canvas as its purely rented out and is in a fairly affluent area of cambridge, yet he does say there are not many walk ins as it isnt particularly central.
Im quite keen as the rent is fairly flexible, I can work as little or as much as i like, use whatever colour brand i like and also have the flexibility to charge different prices than what is on the flyer, though thats the thing is the business was bought, not updated and do all the stylists do their own thing under the salon name.
Im just a bit worried that my mobile clients might not want to follow me just because my prices would increase. My client base is small anyway because Ive only just moved back to cambridge so I wasnt looking for anyone new previously, and I am worried about investing financially, it falling flat and not having any money left to do anything else with. Its quite a big risk to take unless I can guarantee that my clients will definitely follow.
I feel that the salon is at a bit of a dead end in that everyone is working for themselves, the owner isn't really with it in advertising and marketing so im not sure its the best environment for a younger stylist trying to build clientele.

Does anyone have any advice/been in the same position? How long did it take you to see returns on your investment?

In my opinion a business person needs to invest in their business you need to ask your self is it the right thing for you and your clients. On a % how much more will you need to charge your clients and will they follow you and pay the extra. To be honest are your clients only with you because they get a better deal and more it's more convenient for them. For yourself will you be able to get more work because you have a base. Some calculations need to be done. Why not try it for 3 months and continue on with you mobile business 3 days a week.

Yeah ive been thinking about the costs and they are reasonable if i get enough clients, i think its the fact they dont get many walk ins as its not a busy road, because if I do mobile the rest of the week my own clients wont want to come into the salon? So I would be paying £55 a day, advertising etc to hope that the salon is busy enough on saturdays for me to find a separate client base. My gut instinct says no as I cant afford to invest this money unwisely... some clients seem interested now Ive asked the question as to whether they would be willing to support me through the change, but ultimately im not sure its enough as I dont want standards to slip if i try and juggle part time salon vs part time mobile.

Latest posts

Back