Black to brown... HELP

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlotted01

Reaction score
Hi....
My client has been colouring her hair for about 10yrs now black,her natural base colour is brown/dk brown with a little grey at the sides, because she is getting older she wants to go back to dk brown fullhead,so what is the best way to go from black to brown her hair is in good cond and chin length,i have just got back into hairdressing after taking time out to have a family so this is the 1st black to brown i have done in ages dont like to say no,i know i will beable to do this with a little help so any advice would be great....
Thanks x x

hi have you used colour remover before?? like affinage (think that's how it's spelt) or wipeout?
they are good for lifting colour out,
or good old bleach as i did with mine..
my hair was 3/0 all over and had layers and layers of colour on, i used l'oreol platinium bleach as it has conditioning properties,and 9% put this all over and it went really well, obv you are only lifting it maybe 3 shades at most ... right?? then re-colouring,
it should throw enough copper tone up so you don't need to put extra warmth in..
though i had 5/0 and 5/77 for a lovely chocolate brown, i love it!
best of luck let us know how you get on xx

Hey thanks for the advice,i have never used a colour remover,i'm a little scared of doing bleach all over but its only because iam just getting back into hairdressing so i need to do it to help my confidence x yes i do only want to lift up to 3 shades then put a nice rich choc brown through it.
So if i bleach all the hair mid lengths then roots with 9% iam just taking it to burnt orange colour then re~colour with 1/2 of 5/0 & 1/2 5/77 (i love these colours) is this right x x x

if she has any natural root then leave it. just bleach the midlength and ends with tint on.. otherwise the roots will be WHITE lol
no need to do the roots,
so yeah apply the bleach and then wait till its a level 5-6 then wash off, dry and re-colour,
simple!
it should be in good condition stilll coz your not really stripping loads off,
TIP... make sure the bleach bit is all the same shade of orange (that the ends have lifted up to sama as the mid lengths)
it makes coverage so much better xx

Thanks sooooo much for your help,do you think i should pre~pig before putting on the brown x x x x

well no coz you would norm do that with like a red or copper and it will already be copper fron the bleaching, just don't bleach it past copper ..
let me know how it goes hunny xxx

Hey!!!
Ta very much, i'm new to salongeek so i'm a little slow x
OMG i can't stop thinking about doing this black to brown she is having it done next wk now so gives me a few more days to sit and pannic lol,i know i will be fine but its just while i get back into the swing of things again.
Another question... what if i did it this way instead of a fullhead... loads of bleach hi~lights black on the roots (beacause she is grey) at the same time once that is ready and washed off put the brown all over as it would only take on the bleach anyway.....
Thanks once again you have been a wee star x

sure yeah that would be ok would just use 6% on that so it doesnt lift past copper though whill your waiting for the black to develop...
also this would take ages to get her full head brown, but if she's willing to wait??
iam the same about doing perms i hate them and stress out to death everytime lol
xx

Hi, just to add to jommoto's tips :)
dont forget to test piece it all first to see what lift you can achieve with the bleach as you may only need 1.9% releaser

also the end result will all depend on how porous the hair is
I have known hair to lift the black out quite well ...... only to suck up the brown colour like a sponge and suddenly go back dark again
(you may need a lighter brown )
so again test piece it with the brown colour too , just incase of grab

are you going to use tint or a semi for colouring it brown afterwards ? :) minky

Hi, just to add to jommoto's tips :)
dont forget to test piece it all first to see what lift you can achieve with the bleach as you may only need 1.9% releaser

also the end result will all depend on how porous the hair is
I have known hair to lift the black out quite well ...... only to suck up the brown colour like a sponge and suddenly go back dark again
(you may need a lighter brown )
so again test piece it with the brown colour too , just incase of grab

are you going to use tint or a semi for colouring it brown afterwards ? :) minky

hey minky,:)
yeah i would sooo use a semi for now till you get the correct colour!! xxx

Latest posts

Back