Brazilian Blowout | Formaldehyde Marked Down But Not Out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
The Brazilian Blowout controversy is well-known and has been widely reported on for a couple of years. I have been trawling the internet and found myself bombarded with varied and conflicting messages. In an attempt to get to the truth I have spoken to hair stylists, those who have had the treatment done and Brazilian Blowout UK Ltd. themselves.

If you believe all the media hype, the treatment is nothing less than a death sentence. This is probably an exaggeration. Hair stylists that I spoke to seem to think it’s OK as long as it’s done properly by someone trained to do it. Unfortunately, there’s no way of knowing whether that’s the case. Diren Chetty, Operations Manager for Brazilian Blowout UK Ltd., said that while they offer training to all stylists, “there’s no way of knowing whether everyone performing the treatment has had the training.” Countries such as Canada, Australia, Germany, France and Ireland have previously banned the use of the product and I believe that many still think that this is the case. Chetty tells me that this is not true. According to him, there are no longer any countries or any US states that ban this product.

So what was all the hoo-ha about? Initially, Brazilian Blowout (very naughtily) labeled their products as ‘Formaldehyde Free’. As it turns out, this wasn’t exactly true. After many a stylist complained of nausea and headaches and several clients had very bad reactions to the products (famously, Mary Lousie Parker from hit TV show Weeds suffered hair loss), Brazilian Beauty had to fess up and admit, that actually, yes, they did use formaldehyde in the product.

Obviously, this didn’t go down too well within the industry. It was banned in a variety of countries and received a lot of bad press. Finally, in November 2011 the case went to court and while Brazilian Blowout were forced to clearly state on their labels that the product contained formaldehyde, they didn’t actually have to remove it. So, in summary, it’s ok for them to expose clients and stylists to formaldehyde as long as they are being honest about it. The court case also ruled that Brazilian Blowout had to create information leaflets about the product and its risks and that they had to pay out $35 to affected clients for each treatment up to three, and affected stylists were entitled to $75 compensation for each bottle they had bought.

Now, this has caused a lot of chatter within the industry, mostly from those calling for the product to be banned. But, just to play devil’s advocate for a moment, isn’t it true that we know the dangers of many, many things and we still continue to do them? Whether it’s drinking, or smoking, or injecting chemicals, or undergoing totally unnecessary but major cosmetic surgery…many people are still prepared to take the risks. You may well question the morality of a company putting a potentially dangerous product out there, but just like cigarette companies and plastic surgeons, they wouldn’t be doing it if we weren’t buying it, right?

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,050
The Brazilian Blowout controversy is well-known and has been widely reported on for a couple of years. I have been trawling the internet and found myself bombarded with varied and conflicting messages. In an attempt to get to the truth I have spoken to hair stylists, those who have had the treatment done and Brazilian Blowout UK Ltd. themselves.

If you believe all the media hype, the treatment is nothing less than a death sentence. This is probably an exaggeration. Hair stylists that I spoke to seem to think it’s OK as long as it’s done properly by someone trained to do it. Unfortunately, there’s no way of knowing whether that’s the case. Diren Chetty, Operations Manager for Brazilian Blowout UK Ltd., said that while they offer training to all stylists, “there’s no way of knowing whether everyone performing the treatment has had the training.” Countries such as Canada, Australia, Germany, France and Ireland have previously banned the use of the product and I believe that many still think that this is the case. Chetty tells me that this is not true. According to him, there are no longer any countries or any US states that ban this product.

So what was all the hoo-ha about? Initially, Brazilian Blowout (very naughtily) labeled their products as ‘Formaldehyde Free’. As it turns out, this wasn’t exactly true. After many a stylist complained of nausea and headaches and several clients had very bad reactions to the products (famously, Mary Lousie Parker from hit TV show Weeds suffered hair loss), Brazilian Beauty had to fess up and admit, that actually, yes, they did use formaldehyde in the product.

Obviously, this didn’t go down too well within the industry. It was banned in a variety of countries and received a lot of bad press. Finally, in November 2011 the case went to court and while Brazilian Blowout were forced to clearly state on their labels that the product contained formaldehyde, they didn’t actually have to remove it. So, in summary, it’s ok for them to expose clients and stylists to formaldehyde as long as they are being honest about it. The court case also ruled that Brazilian Blowout had to create information leaflets about the product and its risks and that they had to pay out $35 to affected clients for each treatment up to three, and affected stylists were entitled to $75 compensation for each bottle they had bought.

Now, this has caused a lot of chatter within the industry, mostly from those calling for the product to be banned. But, just to play devil’s advocate for a moment, isn’t it true that we know the dangers of many, many things and we still continue to do them? Whether it’s drinking, or smoking, or injecting chemicals, or undergoing totally unnecessary but major cosmetic surgery…many people are still prepared to take the risks. You may well question the morality of a company putting a potentially dangerous product out there, but just like cigarette companies and plastic surgeons, they wouldn’t be doing it if we weren’t buying it, right?

Until then…geek on!

The Ed.
It is true to say that when people know the dangers, this dosent stop them from continuing. The problem with beauty products, unlike cigarettes and food, they dont have to say on the ingredients list what is in the bottle. Like cigarettes many many moons ago. people did not relaise what they were putting into their bodies. If beauty companies were made to do this people could decide wether or not they wanted to continue using them. And apart from the main badies in the news like formaldehyde and parabens people really arent aware of what they areputting on their skin. It like you need to have a toxologists degree to understand a beauty product. i have recently started to look into beauty ingredients and have had my eyes opened.

The Ed.[/QUOTE]
It is true to say that when people know the dangers, this dosent stop them from continuing. The problem with beauty products, unlike cigarettes and food, they dont have to say on the ingredients list what is in the bottle. Like cigarettes many many moons ago. people did not relaise what they were putting into their bodies. If beauty companies were made to do this people could decide wether or not they wanted to continue using them. And apart from the main badies in the news like formaldehyde and parabens people really arent aware of what they areputting on their skin. It like you need to have a toxologists degree to understand a beauty product. i have recently started to look into beauty ingredients and have had my eyes opened.

I had trading standards come into my salon ( to take our teeth whitening system + products away, but that is another story!) and he asked if we offered brazilian blow dries, which we do not, but he did give me some interesting literature to peruse. He has also said in Kent that they are going to all salons and banning the treatment, which is now in force as he was about to visit 'Rush' after visiting us as he knew they offered it there. They are now no longer to carry out doing the treatment according to the info I was given from him.

The purpose of this post is to offer some tools (engineering controls), so salons can provide keratin hair smoothing services in both a safe & fresh air environment. Most every article on the internet pertaining to the "hair smoothing controversy, and recent events, including OSHA warnings and fines, alert salons about the importance of appropriate work practices and proper salon ventilation. Most salons lack proper ventilation needed to ensure safety for the full range of chemical services offered, including hair smoothing, color, bleach and artificial nail services. New technology (salon chemical source capture system) has been developed and proven to be highly effective for improving salon air quality by minimizing exposure to formaldehyde, as well as the many gases, vapors and dusts found in salons. There are many helpful resources on the web to help salon professionals stay informed as well as assist in meeting OSHA requirements for safety. (cleanairmadesimple.com) OSHA RECOMMENDED FORMALDEHYDE EXPOSURE ENGINEERING CONTROLS: Toxic and Hazardous Substances ~ 1910.1048 App A Engineering Controls: Ventilation is the most widely applied engineering control method for reducing the concentration of airborne substances in the breathing zones of workers.

Proper Ventilation Appropriate For Keratin Hair Smoothing Sevices:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VunZCs6TE

Latest posts

Back