Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel and Shellac peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnailart

Reaction score
I have had a regular client for quite a while now and she is starting to have major problems keeping her Brisa Lite and Shellac on. Her nails have never been great right from the start, but only really 4 fingers causing problems. (Peeling nails on index and middle finger on both hands). We managed to keep them under control by using Brisa Lite smoothing gel. But now it won't stay on at all and I am at a loss as to understand why. She says there has been no change in her routine or medication or any new products she is using. The last set I did was last Monday and one has peeled after only a week.
I am CND trained and a Master Painter so follow CND procedures and buy all my stock from S2.
I have attached some pics to see if anyone can give me any ideas. Thank you.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389718975.877396.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389718995.033336.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389719017.530179.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389719029.531842.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389719042.018819.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389719052.370436.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1389719063.872600.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Can you do a quick step by step letting us know how long you cure for and how you are actually applying the product?

PEP using cuticle away
Deactivate with soapy water and dry
Scrubfresh
Brisa Lite base coat - cure 10s
Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel - cure 2 mins
2 x colour coat - cure 2 mins
Additives
Shellac top coat - cure 2 mins
Dsperse
Solar oil

Last edited:
PEP using cuticle away
Deactivate with soapy water and dry
Scrubfresh
Brisa Lite base coat - cure 10s
Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel - cure 2 mins
2 x colour coat - cure 2 mins
Additives
Shellac top coat - cure 2 mins
Dsperse
Solar oil

How are you applying the Brisa lite base coat? Thinly? Thickly? Are you floating it over the nail or scrubbing it in?
Also when you apply with Brisa Lite Smoothing gel how thick/thin is that?

How are you applying the Brisa lite base coat? Thinly? Thickly? Are you floating it over the nail or scrubbing it in?
Also when you apply with Brisa Lite Smoothing gel how thick/thin is that?

Thank you.
I try to get the base coat as thin as possible, almost having to scrub to get it to cover.
I put the smoothing gel on maybe a touch thicker than the layer of polish but not too thick and I 'pull' it over the free edge as I was taught on my Master Painter.
I also put the colour coats on thinly too, and top coat, but not so thin that it drags, if that makes sense! :)

Last edited:
Thank you.
I try to get the base coat as thin as possible, almost having to scrub to get it to cover.
I put the smoothing gel on maybe a touch thicker than the layer of polish but not too thick and I 'pull' it over the free edge as I was taught on my Master Painter.
I also put the colour coats on thinly too, and top coat, but not so thin that it drags, if that makes sense! :)

Brilliant! You want your smoothing gel to be nice and thin :)
Also is your client using solar oil? If so how often is she buying it from you? Those little pinkies that retail at £3.95 last 2 weeks!!! If your client isn't buying it off you regularly that's a tell tale sign she's not using it!!

Brilliant! You want your smoothing gel to be nice and thin :)
Also is your client using solar oil? If so how often is she buying it from you? Those little pinkies that retail at £3.95 last 2 weeks!!! If your client isn't buying it off you regularly that's a tell tale sign she's not using it!!

Thank you for your help. 😊

Hmmmm, the old Solar Oil battle! She's not brilliant at it, I have to say. I explain that she needs to use it regularly, especially as her nails peel, but what can you do? I've told her I need her to start using it 3 times a day to see if there is any improvement. Doesn't help that she's coeliac so nutrition could be an issue. It's just so frustrating that we were doing so well for so long, then this. I was so careful on my last application just to be sure it was as good as I could get it and one goes after a week! She was getting 2 to 3 weeks at one point with only a few little nicks here and there
None of my other clients have any problems, most getting at least 3 weeks and I don't have any problems with my nails either.
I don't know what else I can do. I'm thinking maybe she needs something stronger but I only do natural nails.

Just out of interest, if I did the Brisa Lite Build it course, would that enable me to do an overlay in the sculpting gel just on the problem nails to give them extra strength?

So frustrating! I just want to help her sort them out. 😕

Thank you for your help. 😊

Hmmmm, the old Solar Oil battle! She's not brilliant at it, I have to say. I explain that she needs to use it regularly, especially as her nails peel, but what can you do? I've told her I need her to start using it 3 times a day to see if there is any improvement. Doesn't help that she's coeliac so nutrition could be an issue. It's just so frustrating that we were doing so well for so long, then this. I was so careful on my last application just to be sure it was as good as I could get it and one goes after a week! She was getting 2 to 3 weeks at one point with only a few little nicks here and there
None of my other clients have any problems, most getting at least 3 weeks and I don't have any problems with my nails either.
I don't know what else I can do. I'm thinking maybe she needs something stronger but I only do natural nails.

Just out of interest, if I did the Brisa Lite Build it course, would that enable me to do an overlay in the sculpting gel just on the problem nails to give them extra strength?

So frustrating! I just want to help her sort them out. 😕

Explain to your client unless she uses her solar oil this will continue to happen to her nails!
An enhancement product on there would last better, yes. Like you said she hasn't got great nails to begin with maybe its not your application that's at fault it's the nail coating

This happens to me! Could the client be using chemicals/products without gloves?

Thank you.
Who knows what our clients really do with their nails when we're not looking? Lol!
I've asked all the obvious aftercare questions and checked my application several times. If it was my lamp (CND lamp), then my other clients and myself would presumably have problems too. I think all we can do is up the Solar Oil and keep trying and see how it goes.
Thanks for all your help. 😊

I have a client who is a cleaner and when I use Brisa smoothing on her it comes off like this. She does better with just shellac no Brisa. She doesn't wear gloves no matter what I say.

I understand your frustration with this as I have the exact same problem with myself, none of my clients have this problem. Some weeks my nails are great and others they peel like your client's after 10 days with BL Smoothing Gel under my Shellac. I get so annoyed as I know I wear gloves for cleaning, don't pick at labels etc, use Solar Oil 5+ times a day and I use Cuticle Eraser at night! All I can say is fingers crossed for us both that IBX will help with these issues xxx

I understand your frustration with this as I have the exact same problem with myself, none of my clients have this problem. Some weeks my nails are great and others they peel like your client's after 10 days with BL Smoothing Gel under my Shellac. I get so annoyed as I know I wear gloves for cleaning, don't pick at labels etc, use Solar Oil 5+ times a day and I use Cuticle Eraser at night! All I can say is fingers crossed for us both that IBX will help with these issues xxx

Yeah, I've already told her she's going to be my first stop when I get IBX! Fingers crossed! xx

It's great that you're getting the chance to work with your client in trying to sort this problem out. I'm having the problem that clients are not happy with Shellac as they are peeling and I never see them again, it's so frustrating and I honestly don't know what to do.

Latest posts

Back