Bumps on nail after Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouLou89

Reaction score
Morning everyone,
I am qualified in cnd shellac - I have been running into a problem regarding removal recently and would appreciate some advice. I find that sometimes after removing the shellac that there are little bumps (verrrry small) on the nail - sometimes so small that I don’t even realise until I’ve started reapplying shellac and obviously as soon as the polish is applied the little bumps show up! Has anyone else experienced this? Is it my removal not being thorough enough? What’s the best way to avoid this?

Are they bumps of nail or gel?

I think it must be gel... I’m very very careful with the cuticle pusher so definitely don’t think I’ve caught the nail with that.. maybe I’m applying the base coat a little too thick

I think it must be gel... I’m very very careful with the cuticle pusher so definitely don’t think I’ve caught the nail with that.. maybe I’m applying the base coat a little too thick

It may be an obvious question, but are you ensuring you wipe away any debris from the nail surface with ScrubFresh before application?

It may be an obvious question, but are you ensuring you wipe away any debris from the nail surface with ScrubFresh before application?

Hi, yep I use scrubfresh before application. I’m thinking maybe I could be applying the base coat not thin enough and maybe some of that is being left behind on the nail plate. I’m going to work on this and see if I notice a difference!

Hey loulou!

How are your removing the Shellac? Do you use an orange wood stick or just a plastic backed pad?

How long are you leaving the wraps on for and what remover and top coat are you using?

What kind of cuticle tool are you using at the moment?

I'd love to help you get to the bottom of this x

Noreen
xo

Hey loulou!

How are your removing the Shellac? Do you use an orange wood stick or just a plastic backed pad?

How long are you leaving the wraps on for and what remover and top coat are you using?

What kind of cuticle tool are you using at the moment?

I'd love to help you get to the bottom of this x

Noreen
xo

Hi :)

To remove the shellac off the nail I use an orange wood stick.

When the nails are wrapped I leave them on for 10minutes, I am using dsolve to remove and currently use the original top coat.

I am currently using a metal cuticle pusher.

Thank you so much for your reply :)!

Xx

perfect thanks for your reply :)

Are the bumps all over the nail or are they just at the base of the nail :)

perfect thanks for your reply :)

Are the bumps all over the nail or are they just at the base of the nail :)

They are normally about a quarter of the way up the nail and nearer to the sidewalls than the centre.

Thanks for your help :) xx

Thanks for that :)

It's hard for me to give you an exact answer as I've not seen your nails but here is what I think is happening :)

When Shellac (or any gel polish) is being removed, Acetone will temporarily soften the surface of the nail, removing with an orange wood stick can scratch or de-laminate the surface of the nail, if you look closely sometimes you can actually see little bits of nails that look like little ribbons on the surface. When you then go in with base coat, the base coat wraps around the little ribbon of nail that is sticking up and creates a little ball on the nail that is clearly visible.

This can also happen if you cuticle tool is not at the correct angle.

As you are experiencing the majority of the bumps near the side walls I would check the angle of your cuticle tool when doing prep work, and would also leave the wraps on slightly longer to allow you to gently remove shellac with just a plastic backed pad and some remover. Remember in colder weather the shellac will take slightly longer to remove.

Thanks for that :)

It's hard for me to give you an exact answer as I've not seen your nails but here is what I think is happening :)

When Shellac (or any gel polish) is being removed, Acetone will temporarily soften the surface of the nail, removing with an orange wood stick can scratch or de-laminate the surface of the nail, if you look closely sometimes you can actually see little bits of nails that look like little ribbons on the surface. When you then go in with base coat, the base coat wraps around the little ribbon of nail that is sticking up and creates a little ball on the nail that is clearly visible.

This can also happen if you cuticle tool is not at the correct angle.

As you are experiencing the majority of the bumps near the side walls I would check the angle of your cuticle tool when doing prep work, and would also leave the wraps on slightly longer to allow you to gently remove shellac with just a plastic backed pad and some remover. Remember in colder weather the shellac will take slightly longer to remove.

Thank you so much for explaining this to me.

Just to be clear, after I remove the wraps I should then just use a plastic backed pad with remover to wipe over the nail - and not use an orange wood stick.

I will most definitely take your advice. Thanks again :)

Its best to try and only use a plastic backed pad and remover, this completely eliminates any chance of you scratching the nail

This method will take slightly longer, and if someone has worn their shellac for 3-4 weeks it may be necessary to gently loosen the shellac with an orange wood stick, and then scrub with a plastic backed pad. Never use more than a gently pressure with your wood stick, if you feel like you are scrapping the product off then you are likely scratching the surface of the nails

Being selective and gentle with the use of an orange wood stick will prevent this from happening and will also greatly reduce any white spots appearing on your clients nails :)

Perfect! Thank you so much for the advice! Xx

you're more than welcome, that's what I'm here for :) Let me know how you get on x

Latest posts

Back