Business Courses (Sorry quite long)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachBabe

Reaction score
Hi all,

A while back there was a post on Business Courses stating that it's a good idea for anyone coming into the business (i.e. mobiles and people who work from home) to go on a business course. I attended a course run by the Business Link in my town and found the advice invaluable, at the end of the course you receive a certificate stating that you have completed the course and it stands you in good stead for when you apply to Banks for acounts and loans etc.

However it occured to me that not everyone has the time or money to do these kind of courses on top of all the nail training and as I have read some very good books which covered almost everything in the Business Link course I thought I would list them and anyone who has read or been on courses could add them as a kind of directory of buiness training so here goes:-
  • Small Business Guide written by Sara Williams and published by Vitesse Media - £12.99 (or you can get this free if you have an account with Lloyds TSB just ask in branch)
  • Lloyds TSB Tax Guide written by Sara Williams and published by Vitesse Media - £9.99 (or free if you have an account with Lloyds TSB)
  • Starting a Business for Dummies by C. Barrow - £14.99
  • teach yourself: ...Business Studies written by Peter Fearns - £10.99 I found the books below to be very inspirational
  • Anyone Can Do It!: Building Coffee Republic from our Kitchen Table written by Sahar Hashemi and Bobby Hashemi published by Capstone - £7.99
  • GO: An Airline Adventure - Barbara Cassani and Kenny Kemp published by Little Brown -£12.99

that is very kind of you. Maybe the Geek could start a LIbrary section??? It would be great for reference material and I'm sure many would find it very helpful.

Ooooh yes please, I like the sound of that! I love books, magazines and all reference material in general even though I frequently never read it all! It would be great to see where others get their info and inspirations from, without having to search various miscellaneous threads in vain for something you know you've heard about but can't quite remember what it was!

I am doing a local business course at the moment too and the help they give is invaluable. They help you find all sources of funding, which i never would of done on my own ... I have already completed a business plan and been able to take it to our local grant people who (fingers crossed) are going to purchase my initial stock to enable me to start self employed and I have opened my bank account. I am so excited :)

I have been to our local college today .. they are offering daytime courses free apart from £10 initial booking fee .. have enrolled to do man/ped, advanced nail techniques and nail art courses all get recognised qualifications at the end. Maybe I will cover things I have already done but hopefully will learn new things too ... determined to keep learning ... my brain has woken up for the first time in years :)
I have also enrolled on Web design course too, me hopes my brain will take all this shock lol, so I can set my own web page :)

Anyway I think its a great idea to have reference material for different areas of the country to help as its so hard to set up alone and the help, and maybe funding too, is out there if you know where to look

Jo xx

Latest posts

Back