Business in a council/housing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Precious2013

Reaction score
Is anyone running a business from a council or housing benefit house? I am in a private rented house and paying towards the house as well as getting housing benefits (single mother with no help from baby's dad) are you allowed to run a business from it?

Is anyone running a business from a council or housing benefit house? I am in a private rented house and paying towards the house as well as getting housing benefits (single mother with no help from baby's dad) are you allowed to run a business from it?

If its private rented (from a private landlord) ask if he/she will allow you to run a legitimate business from the house, tell him you'll provide proof of legitimacy etc. Most councils will NOT allow a business to be run from their homes.

It's private rented and the landlord allows it but I do get housing benefits towards the house, only two rooms are paid and I pay for the rest of the house

It's private rented and the landlord allows it but I do get housing benefits towards the house, only two rooms are paid and I pay for the rest of the house

I am unsure whether HB would continue, maybe someone would know, or maybe phone your council benefit section and enquire, they be the best people to ask xx

As far as I understand it you would lose it.
Housing benefit is based on income and with you going self employed and started working from home they work it out as you should at least be earning minimum wage.

So they would take it off you even if you only made £5 a month? (I'm starting from scratch) would love to come off housing benefit but would still need help until I can make a proper wage

Phone your housing benefits office and ask, they should be encouraging single mums to get back at work not penalising

Obviously definitely check with them but yes I think that is the case. When I started my first business even though I wasn't earning a penny they stopped all benefits. If your self-employed your not liable to receive much if anything in benefit.

I agree they should be doing stuff to help new business but as much as the government puts out the 'We are helping small and new businesses' speech the more of a lie it is.

My landlords mum works in the housing benefit area so she's going to call to see me tonight to see what way it works. My friend is self employed and she is still on jobseekers but whatever she makes they take it off her but she hasn't informed her housing benefit but I'd just be afraid of getting caught. I worked it out that if I went back to work full time I wouldn't be able to afford to live (with childcare costs, rent, food etc) so wanted to build up part time and save a good bit of money so that's behind me when I do decide to get back full time, it's all so complicated :(

I know if your on jsa they give you 13 weeks full jsa payments and 13 half jsa payments and dont take any money you earn from your business off of you. I imagine it may be the same for hb and it may also be worth looking into setting up a limited company rather then being a sole trader as you have far more benefits, not in terms of just gov benefits but also company benefits which you wouldnt get with being a sole trader.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi,
I am self employed but not in my house. I do still get housing benefit and am now entitled to working tax credit so although u may loose certain benefits you may be entitled to claim other help. I did work from home as a registered childminder and still had some housing benefit although it obviously depends on your earnings. It was through a private landlord who was happy for me to do this so I would check with them to see if its ok. I hope this helps a little 😃good luck

When i moved into my house i was told you cant run a business from it.

Missy106 what is your situation with your house?

I claim working tax credits and housing benefit through self employment. Just make sure you work 24 hours a week to claim working tax. It's so much better than income support. I also claim that I partially work from home as long as it's ok with the landlord it should be fine. You just need to keep accounts of your income/outgoing. It's a bit of a pain filling out the form but worth it!

If you are private renting it is up to the landlord although you may still need council permission. As for housing association it is in most contracts to contact them first and they will make a decision. I dont know about council as my council do not own property anymore. In terms of housing benefit you will likely loose your money as it is now seen as work premises not housing. Do not be tempted to do what your friend is doing because trust me, when, not if they catch her she will not be in for an easy ride. All these benefit people are in contact with each other and it's only a matter of time before she pops up on the system. Although, I know you say you won't, just in case it seems like the easy option as I know how tough it can be to start a business on a low income. Benefits and self employment are a bit iffy and unfortunately the only way you will find out the exact situation for your case is to contact them and explain everything fully(and be prepared to spend your next birthday on hold to them if they're anything like DWP in my area lol). :)

It is at your landlords discretion whether you can run a business from home. Depending on your income, HB will be workes out on that. If you are a single parent & work minimum 16 hours a week you will be entitled to working tax credits. Luckily i have just recently had to get info on all of this aswell :) hth x

Dont forget to let the benefits people know youre working. Even being available for but not working constitutes when self employed. Your neighbours may ge more than willing to phone the hotline, as payments are given when bubbling someone x

And if your working you prob wont be entitled to HB anymore. Is it a council house? Or just a rented property which you claim HB. Lucia x

I have a housing association place and i am allowed to run my business from my house. I just contacted them and got proof in a letter saying it is ok. Housing benefit you will still get as it is worked out on how much you earn. They will see bank statements etc every few mths to check. It is just like doing any self employed work, mth by mth will never be the same. But yes if you lose housing benefit then you can get tax credits.

I have a housing association place and i am allowed to run my business from my house. I just contacted them and got proof in a letter saying it is ok. Housing benefit you will still get as it is worked out on how much you earn. They will see bank statements etc every few mths to check. It is just like doing any self employed work, mth by mth will never be the same. But yes if you lose housing benefit then you can get tax credits.

I personally dont think a business should be run from a house where the occupant receives housing benefit x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back