Business in a council/housing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally dont think a business should be run from a house where the occupant receives housing benefit x

You're right. She shouldn't run her business from home. Nor should she be mobile because as stated in a different thread mobile therapists are cheaper and the service is all about them not the client.

Not trying to be funny, nowhere in this post does it ask about whether we think it's right or wrong to run a business from home when you receive housing benefits.

We should be supporting and celebrating each others goals and dreams.

You're entitled to your opinion but please stop steering threads off course, it's not fair to the op's.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I personally dont think a business should be run from a house where the occupant receives housing benefit x

I don't agree, its your opinion but in some situations it would be helpful for the parent to do this, if they do it legit i mean, but I can't afford £££ for childcare costs etc so thought being able to work while he is in bed would benefit us both, I do pay towards the house as housing benefit only covers so much. But as I've weighed up the options at the minute i won't be working from home as it would be too much hassle. If my baby's dad had of paid maintenance I would not be claiming housing :(

Because its called housing benefit not business benefit x

This may be your opinion, but I totally disagree with you. If someone that runs a business from home, is on a very low income, or in some instances, no income if just starting out, how will they manage to pay the full rent as well? Is it so different to an employed person on a low income, who may also be entitled to claim housing benefit if they are struggling to make ends meet? Or would it be called employment benefit in your eyes? Housing benefit is in place for those on a low income, whether they are employed, self employed, or claiming some kind of benefit. Just saying...

I don't agree, its your opinion but in some situations it would be helpful for the parent to do this, if they do it legit i mean, but I can't afford £££ for childcare costs etc so thought being able to work while he is in bed would benefit us both, I do pay towards the house as housing benefit only covers so much. But as I've weighed up the options at the minute i won't be working from home as it would be too much hassle. If my baby's dad had of paid maintenance I would not be claiming housing :(

Don't feel that you have to explain yourself!! You can't please all of the people all of the time and this is one of those situations. Sometimes people forget that situations arise that are out of our control and then we have to make the best out of a bad situation. X

Don't feel that you have to explain yourself!! You can't please all of the people all of the time and this is one of those situations. Sometimes people forget that situations arise that are out of our control and then we have to make the best out of a bad situation. X

I agree, there's no need to explain yourself to anyone! It's your business, and there will always be people out there that chose to judge others. Everyone's personal circumstances and needs are different. That is why these types of benefits are in place, otherwise why would they be there! Xx

I cannot believe what I'm reading, someone is trying to set up a business, if she sets it up at home or in a salon or mobile and brings in the same money she will still be entitled to the same benefits!!

Get off your high horse and give her credit for trying to work

It seems that no one can have an opinion that veers away from the majority on here without being railroaded and ostracised. Maybe i do have different views that were borne from previous jobs as a DHSS fraud investigator & HMRC. And with that in mind i will bid you farewell. I shall keep an eye on posts, but will refrain from voicing my opinion for fear of upsetting the majority, as i forgot we live in a democratic society ;-)

I am in the same position as you apart fro mine is a council house, if you private rent I think it would be easier rather than council as council have all these rules etc. If you let your landlord know and he agrees you will be fine, on the benefits side, I claim benefits aswel as im currentley a full time mum I think you would have to ring HMRC and your local council housing benefits with an estimate of how much you will earn and how many hours you do and they work it out from there, if you are a single mum the job center advise to work 16-24 hours a week this way you will still get what you get now for housing benefits, its all so confusing! Just make sure you record all your buisness outgoings and incomings as HMRC do a check every year to see if you have been over or underpaid if you have been overpaid they want it back and vice versa, hope this helps... im so scared of starting up on my own but I cant see benefits ever letting you go without the money you NEED to live off and im sure there is a certain benefit you can claim for 26weeks after you go self employed to help while you are starting up :) xxx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Housing benefit will be worked put every 3 months with proof if incoming etc :) It's a pain because you don't know what the next 3 months of benefit you will get!x

Regardless of whether you are employed or selfemployed, if you are on a low income but work certain amount of hours you might be entitled to certain benefits including housing benefit. Depending on how you register your self employment (for instance, a sole trader), council might consider only your profit as your income (everything you take in minus everything you spend) which could actually be a relatively small amount if anything at all when you just starting up due to high start up costs and possibly lack of regular clientele. So cheer up, it is not as scary as you think. Don't get bullies get to you. Regardless what others think, you will get what you are entitled to. Hugs xx

www.kgbsalon.com

PS a last bit of advice for what its worth. I commend anyone who us trying to make a go of it and better themselves and get off benefits, but dont fall fowl and attempt to play the system. Investigators do check social media facebook/twitter/this site to see what youre upto. They will phone you to make appts to see if busy or not, they will ask to see appt book and payment records and they will come and have a treatment to see that youre not living above your alleged means x

I work from my home, which is rented from the council, i applied to work from it had to have someone out etc, few questions form to fill it and got the ok, i also get still get help with rent from them its all straight forward to sort out, but depends on your council x

PS a last bit of advice for what its worth. I commend anyone who us trying to make a go of it and better themselves and get off benefits, but dont fall fowl and attempt to play the system. Investigators do check social media facebook/twitter/this site to see what youre upto. They will phone you to make appts to see if busy or not, they will ask to see appt book and payment records and they will come and have a treatment to see that youre not living above your alleged means x

I didn't say anything about playing the system, I wanted to do a business from the house legit!!!!!

For everyone else, thank you for all your comments they have been helpful. Seems even when your trying to better yourself someone always has to act as if they are better than you. Can someone close this thread please thanks :)

Why do you keep assuming people are playing the system, when all the op wanted was advice ? Maybe you should go back to the fraud squad because you have not offered any constructive advice other than accuse everyone that claims HB whilst on a low income of fiddling the system.

Is it still 3 months you have to registered as SE?? You could use some of this time to see how it goes? And about checking social media if you were busy thing? It's irrelevant, I personally sometimes turn some people down even if I'm not busy saying I'm fully booked as it looks more professional to me than saying: oh no I can't do such or such time as I've a.doctor app or 2.partents meeting etc. x good luck hunni

Why do you keep assuming people are playing the system, when all the op wanted was advice ? Maybe you should go back to the fraud squad because you have not offered any constructive advice other than accuse everyone that claims HB whilst on a low income of fiddling the system.

I havent accused anyone of anything. Just trying to give the benefit of my experience. Ive interviewed 100s posdibly 1000s of people from different industries who didnt have the intention, but then forgot to do something and hey presto........! Who says ive ever totally left. A lot of people going on the offensive in here lol x

As a landlord I would not agree to it as my landland insurance would not cover aspects of this. I suspect a benefit claimants would not pay for public liability. Not to mention the credit rating for the house if they set up credit accounts they couldn't maintain. I wouldnt rent to housing benefit too many friends with horror stories and if your a professional a landlord can write to your employer to complain about them being unclean or not paying, you can hardly complain to the DSS. I do know of this very chavy therapist that had a shop when she had kids she decided to work from home while claiming benefits while living in her housing benefit paid house and claiming benefit, needless to say someone grassed her up to the benefits agency. She was evicted taken to court and to pay back her benefits for that time, she no longer works. I would never grass on anyone but frankly it these people who lower the wages in these jobs by claiming benefits at the same time while not declaring their income.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

As a landlord I would not agree to it as my landland insurance would not cover aspects of this. I suspect a benefit claimants would not pay for public liability. Not to mention the credit rating for the house if they set up credit accounts they couldn't maintain. I wouldnt rent to housing benefit too many friends with horror stories and if your a professional a landlord can write to your employer to complain about them being unclean or not paying, you can hardly complain to the DSS. I do know of this very chavy therapist that had a shop when she had kids she decided to work from home while claiming benefits while living in her housing benefit paid house and claiming benefit, needless to say someone grassed her up to the benefits agency. She was evicted taken to court and to pay back her benefits for that time, she no longer works. I would never grass on anyone but frankly it these people who lower the wages in these jobs by claiming benefits at the same time while not declaring their income.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Not everyone on benefits is 'unclean or chavvy'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back