Business networking meetings

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meira

Reaction score
Seen loads of posts on here about geeks joining networking groups so was hoping to get some tips. Am attending a networking breakfast this week and would love to hear what has worked for you, things to say, things to avoid saying etc
TIA xx

I loved networking mainly because a cooked breakfast is my favourite meal. I found that sometimes - not always - people think you're a bit thick. There were often people at mine who would jump at meeting with me because I was a therapist. They may be with a multi level marketing company like arbonne or forever living and think I'm going to start retailing a non pro product in my salon! Yeah right!
I think being yourself is important. I really believe people buy people. I had some amazing support and that support and encouragement pushed me from a single rented room to a salon where we have really increased our turnover.
I do wonder how some of them make any money - they just seem to network.
I ended up hosting meetings once a fortnight which I really enjoyed.
Good luck and hope you have fun and a good brekkie.

Vic x

Loved it. Only attended one so far as its difficult with school drop off & husbands shift patterns but ive got one client from it. Not bad! Very friendly, chatty, good to get tips from ppl. Make sure its predominantly women & no other nail techs/beauty therapists attending. Take leaflets, business cards ect. Have fun :D x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have only just heard of 'networking events' what do you do thereo just go up to people and start chatting?

I attended a few run by my local council. They were very big on promoting women in business so they ran regularly and were always well organised & well planned (great useful guest speakers too)

It defiantly helps if you are quite confident though. Like Squidger said, ppl tend to think you are a bit thick if you do beauty & I was almost embarrassed to say what I did! That was my hang up though, no one elses and if I was to go back again I think I would be more confident about it. (Even if your not- fake it!) I would have a mental list of business that would compliment yours- maybe wedding shops/formal hire shops/ boutiques & florists etc. and try to gravitate towards them... Its lovely having brekkie and a chat but if you get stuck with the local mechanic for half hour it probably wont help you in the long run lol!

Take cards, leaflets, facebook details, anything thats easy to handout and remember to have fun :) xxx

I went to a networking meeting specifically for therapists. Out of 11 of us, 10 were life coaches, I was the only beauty/massage therapist. Everyone said they'd love a massage but trouble was, I didn't want to swap with a life coach! A friend of mine goes to a networking group where everyone is expected to swap services with at least 2 other people in a different trade. It got quite expensive for her. It can work and you need to remain positive.

Latest posts

Back