business problem, what should i do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel fingers

Reaction score
i work on fri and sat in town on a commission basis. sometimes i am busy, sometimes its very slow. i have been there since feb and have built up a good reputation. i am the only nail tech there. the business changed hands in july. my problem is that the new owner is talking about taking on another tech to work on the days i'm not there. i understand that she wants to maximise her income from nails, but i have problems with this. i've been working at special offer rates to promote business and have sat there hours to build a good reputation for the company, i have had a lot of customers saying they are the best nails they have had locally.if we get another tech, i am concerned that her standards or experience might mean that the nails she does are not so good. dont get me wrong, i dont claim to be the best tech ever, but i have seen some monster nails from techs round here. if some one gets a crappy set then my reputation is bound to suffer too .also because there are so many places to get nails done i dont think there will be enough business for us both and if customers are offered other days, there wont be any left for me at the weekend. and also[ i dont know if i'm being a bit petty here ] the desk the shop supplied me with was way too high and it gave me backache, so i paid for a new one. i think its cheeky if another tech gets to use it when it belongs to me. :mad:

Hi A F, have you discussed your concerns with the new owner? She may not realise that the standard of nails varies so much, and bad nails could give her salon a bad name too for hair, not just nails.

If it's your desk then no way can she let others use it without your consent, and who supplies the products, you or her? You wouldn't want another tech helping themselves to your stuff.

And if the other tech's client wanted a repair on a Fri or Sat so came to you and then preferred your nails and carried on coming to you there would be ructions. Think a whole hornets nest could be being opened here - it could end up in cutilce pushers at dawn lol!
Talk things through in a business like manner, and if she doesn;t see sense then maybe it's time for you to move on - your clients will follow you as they recognise your talent.

Hi,

I would definatly voice your concerns she may not realise you are feeling like this and i also agree with what Sassy Hassy said if you are not a nail tech then you don't realise what horrors people can create with Acrylic (or anything else ) i'm constantly being told that what i do is easy!

And no-one should be allowed to use your desk without your permission after all it belongs to you.

Have a chat with her and hopefully you can resolve this keep us updated.

Hiya!

Could you perhaps work it so that you employ the new technician? I'm not sure how the commission thing works for you but I take it that it is your own buisness that you run within the salon? It might be worth thinking about employing the technician as part of your business.

A locked cabinet would be a good idea if you wanted to ensure your stuff wasn't used although if you employ someone else then you might want to supply them with the products yourself. Also, if you employ the technician then you probably won't mind her using your desk. I would recommend speaking to someone who has went down this route and get advice. Even if you send a pm to Geeg I'm sure she'd give you brilliant advice about employing staff etc.

Think about what you would like to see happen...it could be a great opportunity for you to expand your own business. Your clients will appreciate having a nail technician on hand during the week and I think it could work to your advantage. If you supply this service then you won't lose them to another salon.

There's sooooo many things to think through. Main thing is to decide what you would like to see happen, how you can make it work to your advantage, and then try and negotiate with the owner.

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

Lynn

Latest posts

Back