Business start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauraiacobelli

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to all this. I have been a qualified beautician since 2010 although I only worked in beauty until I had my son then I couldn't as I couldn't find hours to suit so since then have just done treatments on friends and family. I was lucky enough to be one of the nail harmony fresh start winners and won a kit to get me started in the nail world. The last few years I have worked weekends in A&E but now that my sons are in school and I have won this competition I want to start doing gelish mobile. BUT, I don't know where to start, how many colours do I need? Where do I get insurance? Best way for marketing? There is no one in my area doing gelish, I live in a small village but I know a lot of mums at school travel out to get their gelish done so I know there is room for me doing this. I have a graphic designer making me a logo at the moment so I can then get leaflets and things. My kit has everything I need including 14 colours, how many more should I buy? I was trained at gelish HQ by Jazz and Jess and the whole experience was amazing. Any help greatly appreciated. Laura :)

Hey everyone, I am new to all this. I have been a qualified beautician since 2010 although I only worked in beauty until I had my son then I couldn't as I couldn't find hours to suit so since then have just done treatments on friends and family. I was lucky enough to be one of the nail harmony fresh start winners and won a kit to get me started in the nail world. The last few years I have worked weekends in A&E but now that my sons are in school and I have won this competition I want to start doing gelish mobile. BUT, I don't know where to start, how many colours do I need? Where do I get insurance? Best way for marketing? There is no one in my area doing gelish, I live in a small village but I know a lot of mums at school travel out to get their gelish done so I know there is room for me doing this. I have a graphic designer making me a logo at the moment so I can then get leaflets and things. My kit has everything I need including 14 colours, how many more should I buy? I was trained at gelish HQ by Jazz and Jess and the whole experience was amazing. Any help greatly appreciated. Laura :)

Hello,

I am currently setting up too... been building things up over 12 months with shellac. I was really busy in the summer and Christmas but quieter now I think with it being January but still have all my regulars.

What's worked for me is having a Facebook page and posting my work regularly and then every Sunday night I'd post any available appointments for the week ahead.

With colours I made sure I had a couple of nudes, couple of reds and purples and darks and then a few odd ones likes blues. Then I have bought the shellac ranges as they have come out each season to keep stocked with colours on trend. I've recently been buying nail additives which are like powders you put over the inhibition layer of the second coat of polish and they change the shade of a varnish or the look.

I'd also recommend Instagram.

I use salon gold for insurance :).

Hope this is of some help xxx

Hello,

I am currently setting up too... been building things up over 12 months with shellac. I was really busy in the summer and Christmas but quieter now I think with it being January but still have all my regulars.

What's worked for me is having a Facebook page and posting my work regularly and then every Sunday night I'd post any available appointments for the week ahead.

With colours I made sure I had a couple of nudes, couple of reds and purples and darks and then a few odd ones likes blues. Then I have bought the shellac ranges as they have come out each season to keep stocked with colours on trend. I've recently been buying nail additives which are like powders you put over the inhibition layer of the second coat of polish and they change the shade of a varnish or the look.

I'd also recommend Instagram.

I use salon gold for insurance :).

Hope this is of some help xxx

Oh and pinks!!!

Congrats on getting started up. Its exciting but scary. I am scared i fail or im not good enough and have all these terrible thoughts lol. Thanks for getting back to me. I currently have all the colours you have mentioned but i dont have the wacky ones yet which i plan on getting and i am also going to get the new gelish collection which was out a couple of days ago. I have also just in the last 10 mins purchased 6 magpie glitters and the applicator and duster brushes. I will also check that insurance company, thanks for that. I dont even have a personal facebook, i dont use it but i think i defo need to get one. Can i make a business page on their? I have already made my insta account but kept it private until i am ready to go. Going to try upload as many pics as possible. I hope this all works out. I have had 4/5 school mums asking me when i am starting so i know word of mouth in a small village will also be good. How much do you charge? I was thinking £18 or £32 for both hands and feet. Maybe more for the glitters? Any advice on the pricing? I want to make sure i have everything in place before i go for it so im taking my time buying everything i need. Xx

Congrats on getting started up. Its exciting but scary. I am scared i fail or im not good enough and have all these terrible thoughts lol. Thanks for getting back to me. I currently have all the colours you have mentioned but i dont have the wacky ones yet which i plan on getting and i am also going to get the new gelish collection which was out a couple of days ago. I have also just in the last 10 mins purchased 6 magpie glitters and the applicator and duster brushes. I will also check that insurance company, thanks for that. I dont even have a personal facebook, i dont use it but i think i defo need to get one. Can i make a business page on their? I have already made my insta account but kept it private until i am ready to go. Going to try upload as many pics as possible. I hope this all works out. I have had 4/5 school mums asking me when i am starting so i know word of mouth in a small village will also be good. How much do you charge? I was thinking £18 or £32 for both hands and feet. Maybe more for the glitters? Any advice on the pricing? I want to make sure i have everything in place before i go for it so im taking my time buying everything i need. Xx

I think it's normal to be scared about failing. But if you love it and want it to work and put everything into it, then I think it's in your favour to succeed because you'll do what you can to be successful. The scary times are when you're quiet, or when the off client goes wrong (I've found with shellac it generally doesn't but now I'm doing sculpts and the odd one has issues but rarely... still a confidence knock though).

Magpie glitters are amazing. I experimented with eBay for glitters and there's no comparison when it comes to magpie glitters. Best tip with glitter that I had was use a fan shaped brush after applying the glitter, to make sure it's smooth.

Facebook I think you'll need a personal account to have a page. Facebook really is good and these days so many people are on it that you can't really have a buisiness and not be on it. There's a post on here called "how to make the boat go faster" which you can pull lots of ideas from. Last week i emailed the president of the local WI offering the ladies a discount. I emailed our local golf club. Had replies from both asking to take price lists to them. I sent a personal gift voucher to a lady who owns a cake shop doing wedding cakes and also to the ladies of a local coffee shop.

I also have a baby boy so I'm going to get going to baby groups and try and network a bit there. He's only 4 months!

Xxx

This is a great post - really encouraging. I'm starting out too, so it's great to hear tips from others! I'm due to go on maternity leave so my plan is to build it up then, and Steph like you say Mum's groups are a good way to get in! xx

This is a great post - really encouraging. I'm starting out too, so it's great to hear tips from others! I'm due to go on maternity leave so my plan is to build it up then, and Steph like you say Mum's groups are a good way to get in! xx

That's exactly what I did, built it up when I was on maternity. I finished the beauty in August because of growth issues and being told to rest but didn't have baby until October so when I started in November had a few for Christmas and it's quiet now which I'm hoping it's just time of year as it's slowly picking up. I got so so busy when I was maternity tho, I couldn't believe it. June July and August were just manic xxx summer!

That's exactly what I did, built it up when I was on maternity. I finished the beauty in August because of growth issues and being told to rest but didn't have baby until October so when I started in November had a few for Christmas and it's quiet now which I'm hoping it's just time of year as it's slowly picking up. I got so so busy when I was maternity tho, I couldn't believe it. June July and August were just manic xxx summer!

Do you girls have an insta page? I like to look at everyones nails and get inspiration from each other. My insta is perfectlypolishedbylaura have a look and see what you think. So steph have you been doing it a while then? My leaflets have been despatched so soon as they come im getting them out there. Im so scared though lol. I need to be brave and just go for it. Im going tomorrow to get some sort of lightweight poratble table to take around with me. Are you guys mobile? If so what table do u use? I have a 4 and 7 year old, the 4 year old starts school this year so im planning on doing alot when they are at school and hopefully i can eventually give up my weekend job in a&e, thats the dream!! X

Latest posts

Back