Business with the same name

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandydee

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in the process of setting up my salon & just found out that a salon 1 mile away has just relauched/renamed with the name I have chosen. I am in a dilema as all printing of price list etc is underway. I didn't want them to think I have copied them.. :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Mmmm sorry you may not like the answer I'm going to give you, but if that was me I'd stop any printing ASAP and rethink a new salon name, with that salon being only 1 mile away :

a) people will get confused ie call them instead of you and the other way round !!!

B) think you are linked in some way ie a chain of salons !!!

C) bear in mind say if that salon has not got a good reputation !!!

D) Have you checked records house to see if that name is taken, as you may not be able to use it anyway ?

May not be the answer you wanted but the only one realistically that's best solution to your dilemma .... X

Sanilulu xxx

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply Sanilulu. :) I have been checking & that name is available although you are right and have made some good points. I will need to think up another name..:rolleyes:

Thank you for your reply Sanilulu. :) I have been checking & that name is available although you are right and have made some good points. I will need to think up another name..:rolleyes:

Arrrr I really feel for you hunni, I'm sorry to have been so honest, but definitely what's best, especially if you'd got your heart set on a name and sorted it all out with printing etc, but you'd want something that's unique to you anyway,
Good luck with your new name & new salon, and let me know what name you've gone with i'd like to know. Xxxx

As gutting as it is, I would change the name for certain too. How disappointing-hope you find a new name soon!

This is a rubbish situation to be in but as everyone else said, to avoid any confusion, I would change the name. Its a pain in the proverbial in terms of the printing but will save you lots of headaches in the future! Do you have another name in mind?

Also, even if a name was registered on Companies House (is this where you checked?) doesn't mean no one else can use it, it just means someone has registered it as a limited company and therefore no one else could. It doesn't stop sole traders using the same name.

Good luck in whatever you decide! x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with what's been said but I'm sure you'll fall in love with your new name too. Good luck.

If the name isn't trademarked and it can be trademarked, you could always buy the trademark and stop the other company from using the name.
Mean I know but just another point of view x

If the name isn't trademarked and it can be trademarked, you could always buy the trademark and stop the other company from using the name.
Mean I know but just another point of view x

Even if you make an application for a trademark they can object under section 69 of the companies act 2006. If they are already trading with the name you will have an uphill struggle to force them to change. Only you can decide if it's worth it but please consider all possible outcomes as these disputes can take a long time and cost a lot of money. I think I'd probably move on.

Even if you make an application for a trademark they can object under section 69 of the companies act 2006. If they are already trading with the name you will have an uphill struggle to force them to change. Only you can decide if it's worth it but please consider all possible outcomes as these disputes can take a long time and cost a lot of money. I think I'd probably move on.

Good advice. Not something I would consider I have to say x

Thank you fellow geeks. I have spent most of the day thinking of a new business name, head is aching :banghead: Didn't realise choosing the name would be so time consuming. Hey ho, thats life. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back