Calling all hairdressers - what would make you happy :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aztec

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some opinions if you wouldn't mind too much please. I've recently taken over a hair and beauty salon and in my previous roles I've learned you get much more from staff if they are happy in their place of work.

So!

If I am looking to take on some new hairdressers, what would be the most popular choice for you hair geeks if it were you who applied...

a) 50/50 split. No commission earned on products sold. (salon provides products)
b) 60/40 split (60 to the salon) but the salon provides the products and also provides a commission on products sold.
c) Full employee paid a basic wage and a commission on all products sold
d) Flat rate fee paid to the salon every week and pay for own products / products used.

I thought of doing a poll but I am particularly interested in the choice you would go for and why that would be so any comments would be very much appreciated.

I haven't done any number crunching on these options, they just came off the top of my head so apologies if they don't make sense lol

xx

here we do a 60/40 split to the hairdresser and they provide their own products

Thank you for getting back to me.

Can I ask if this would be your preference and if so, why? I really am just looking to create a happy workforce xx

Yes I like it I get to get the colours etc that I like and feel I have the potential to earn good money

Hiya

Just my opinion obviously.....

What you say is great...a business will work much better with happy employees but from a business point of view, how much input / control do you want to have over products used and sold and what services are provided?

If you employee as staff you will have the overall say which will keep you in control. Alternatively you can just rent out chairs and take a regular flat rate or percentage of earnings which gives the individual control :)

Thank you for getting bk to me. The existing staff were on a 50/50 contract with the salon and this is something I was never happy with but agreed to keep them on when I took over. I would ideally prefer all staff to be fully fledged employees but the business was making a substantial loss before I took over and I've had my work cut out to turn things around without losing staff. the business is now turning a decent profit but I don't want to push anyone out the door. My original post probably made me sound crazy - like I let my staff rule the roost lol but that's not the case, I'm just keen to gather opinion which will help with recruiting future staff :D
Your comments really are appreciated so thank you again xx

Your original post didn't make you sound crazy at all lol!! I didn't realise that you already had staff at a 50/50 split.

Well done on turning things around!!!

I think you need to do what works for you though. I think its great that you are considering the staff already there and sounds like you are a caring employer but you need to make sure you look after the business first!!

Don't forget that you are the one paying the rent and rates along with all the other bills etc.

If you are unhappy with the original deal (50/50) then you could always change that for any new staff but honor it for existing ones.

x x

Latest posts

Back