Can I leave my day job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpalBeauty

Reaction score
Hi,

I am moving into my own house soon and it has a lovely room downstairs that my boyfriend is going to convert into a beauty room for me. I will initially be offering treatments evenings and weekends as I work full time monday - friday. I absolutely hate my day job and I have always wanted to be a beauty therapist, and I am half way through being qualified in the treatments I would initially like to offer and have already invested in a lot of kit. I earn 30k at the moment, and I mean I earn it! I mostly work 16 hour days and only get paid for 7.5 hours a day but have so much pressure in my job, I have to put the extra time in. My question is, can I earn at least £25k a year being a beauty therapist? I will work all hours god sends and work really hard.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice xxx

Could you reduce your hours to start with until you build up your clientele, then you've still got a guaranteed wage. Xx

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I will be reducing my working hours as soon as my salon room is decorated, in the long term, say 1 or 2 years, when I am a full time therapist, do you think a wage of £25k is reachable or do you think it's a bit high?

Thanks xxx

It's a toughie.

I've earnt really good money as a beauty therapist in the past. The problem is, you try and keep earnings down to avoid paying too much tax or you declare your great earnings and get hit by a hefty tax bill!

A lot can be deducted for a home salon so getting advice on what is acceptable is a good move. You can off set some of your mortgage and bills against your earnings, use of washing machine, office equipment etc etc so your earnings don't look great but the reality can be a lot better than on paper as a lot of these bills are paid anyway.

The problem with our work is that it can be erratic so in the summer I would earn lots but February can be atrocious.

Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your reply, I know what you mean, I was wondering actually if it was seasonal, like I have waxing in the Summer but I don't bother in the Winter and I guess a lot of people think like that. I'm thinking maybe then doing beauty whenever I can, and then learn something else I like mayne Nutrition, and then I can still do the 2 from home, and I can get away from my horrible bosses :)
Thanks xxxx

It depends on how you set your prices , if you charge correctly and keep your costs down you can earn 2-3 times that, although not to start with. The first couple of years is building stock and less clients then as the business builds. Eventually all of your start up costs will be paid and all your costs will be replacing stock as you use it.
If you're working from home in a good area and you're retailing products I think you could turn over 70- 80k. But it will take a long time to get there. Xx

I'd get your training FINISHED first....then, try to find some 'work experience' in a salon....this will make a huge difference to how you deal with a paying client...there is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the 'MODEL' you practice on in college, paying a token fee, and the 'CLIENT' that will be paying the going rate!
Personally, I think it would take quite a while for you to get close to that salary....not forgetting you won't get any of the perks of an employee...i.e holiday pay, sick and maternity.

It depends on how you set your prices , if you charge correctly and keep your costs down you can earn 2-3 times that, although not to start with. The first couple of years is building stock and less clients then as the business builds. Eventually all of your start up costs will be paid and all your costs will be replacing stock as you use it.
If you're working from home in a good area and you're retailing products I think you could turn over 70- 80k. But it will take a long time to get there. Xx

I personally think you'd struggle to reach that sort of turnover with a home salon. I don't know of any home salons that are VAT registered. They would be few and far between. I was turning over in the region of £32,000 from home but my actual profit was far, far less!

Vic x

Thanks Oasis that's really helpful - I am prepared to work all hours god sends and my boyfriend is very supportive of my work. I would definitely be interested in retailing products as well, I know that would boost income greatly too. Thank you xxx

I'd get your training FINISHED first....then, try to find some 'work experience' in a salon....this will make a huge difference to how you deal with a paying client...there is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the 'MODEL' you practice on in college, paying a token fee, and the 'CLIENT' that will be paying the going rate!
Personally, I think it would take quite a while for you to get close to that salary....not forgetting you won't get any of the perks of an employee...i.e holiday pay, sick and maternity.
Red Star - Yes I'm definitely going to finish my training first, I'll be finished shortly. I'm then going to apply for Saturday jobs around the local area and build up my experience that way - that's a brilliant idea thank you. I agree, models at the college don't compare to actual clients and I want to make sure I provide them with the best service. Thank you xxx

I personally think you'd struggle to reach that sort of turnover with a home salon. I don't know of any home salons that are VAT registered. They would be few and far between. I was turning over in the region of £32,000 from home but my actual profit was far, far less!

Vic x

squidgernetball - I'll be living in a good area that is close to the town centre but not too close lol :) I know what you mean, I will have much more chance of achieving that salary in a salon but I can't ever see myself owning a salon but I can dream! :)

It really depends on your area. My treatments are £30-35 per hour. If you do a 5 day week at 8-10 hours a day plus retail it can be done. But you need to give it all you've got. I think you get back what you put in. There's nothing that can't be done. Xxx

squidgernetball - I'll be living in a good area that is close to the town centre but not too close lol :) I know what you mean, I will have much more chance of achieving that salary in a salon but I can't ever see myself owning a salon but I can dream! :)

I never saw me owning a salon either lol x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It really depends on your area. My treatments are £30-35 per hour. If you do a 5 day week at 8-10 hours a day plus retail it can be done. But you need to give it all you've got. I think you get back what you put in. There's nothing that can't be done. Xxx
I think the same as you Oasis - you get what you put in. I'm willing to work 16 hours a day if I have to - I work those hours now doing a job I hate so if I love my job, I know I can put the work in. You sound like a very determined person like me :) xxx

I never saw me owning a salon either lol x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app
I would like to open a salon but I can't see it happening. How long were you working from home before you opened a salon?

I worked from home for about 11 years but never worked at growing my business as I was a carer for my step father as well, so part time from home suited me. After he died, I moved into a rented room as my girls had grown up and were fed up with a mum working from home. From there it happened quite fast. Rented a room for 2 years, rented the small end of a barn with two rooms for 18 months and took over the whole, very large barn last June.

I won't pretend it has been easy but it has been fabulous!

Vic x

I often do a 16 hour day,....but that doesn't mean I'm EARNING for all those 16 hours.
If the clients don't come that means zero money in the till.
We obviously all hope that from the moment we open those doors, until closing time, client's will flood in, wanting us to perform our magic. Sadly, the reality is often VERY DIFFERENT.
Also, with regard to retailing, it's not easy to get today's client to part with their money. They are very price aware, and will often listen to your recommendations, and then go on line, to see if they can find them cheaper elsewhere, and unless you are buying in bulk, the mark up isn't always that great.
Sorry if I sound a little negative, just trying to offer some words of caution. :confused:

So true.

How many threads are there on here about "how can I get more clients? "

"How can I compete with the £8 shellac salon? "
And so on!

Vic x

I can understand exactly where you are coming from. I've worked for the civil service for almost 25years (full time) and earn a similar salary to you.

I started my level 2 beauty in September 2013 and qualified in June 2014. I started offering treatments (as a student) during that full year, first mobile then moved into a room in my house. It was tough but I didn't feel I could leave work. I started my level 3 beauty therapy in September 2014 but the training for massage was poor so I left and started at a private training provider doing level 3 Complementary Therapies.

On Friday, I found out that my application for redundancy was approved. I'm so delighted - my 3rd attempt but, to be honest, if it had happened 2 years ago, I think I would have struggled.

I will have a lump sum to live on for possibly 2-3years. I will be completing my aromatherapy and reflexology units and then doing Indian Head massage. I know I'm going to be busy through summer but I wouldn't have left work without some cash to help me.

I hate my job and I can't tell you how it felt coming in today and thinking - only 13 weeks to go!! Wait and see how things go over the next year or so. I did nights and weekends - I've learnt so much and worked bloody hard but I know that in June - I have a good client base that will support me when I go full-time.

I hope in the future to secure a complementary therapist job for a charity or NHS so I could look to earn around £20-25,000 but not sure if that would ever be possible as a beauty therapist. I'm going to stay home based for my first year to see the peaks and troughs so I can make good choices next year.

I wish you luck but have a long think about - you will have period of frustration thinking "I wish I could do this full-time" but then weeks/months when you are quiet and think "thank god I have a salary"!

Good luck xx

I think the same as you Oasis - you get what you put in. I'm willing to work 16 hours a day if I have to - I work those hours now doing a job I hate so if I love my job, I know I can put the work in. You sound like a very determined person like me :) xxx

Work smarter not harder is a lesson well learned early on :irked: Just because you are prepared to work 16 hours a day don't assume you physically 'can' - you'll put your body under all sorts of physical stresses and strains that you won't be able to do 16 hours a day, everyday. I'm nails only, but I know by 5.30 I'm tired, my eyes are starting to hurt, my arms and back ache and my work suffers if I'm not super vigilent. Imagine doing 8 45 minute massages one after the other, than that's only half of your 16 hour day.

The other thing to consider is that clients don't all want their appointments at steady hourly intervals, if I could clone myself at 5pm I could do the 5 clients all vying for my 5pm appointment, but during the day I'm sat twiddling my thumbs some times. Those who work are the ones who can afford treatments, they're also the ones not available during the day (generally of course - there are those who work odd hours, retired, wealthy, etc who can come during the day but they are rarer).

You need to think about your pricing structure carefully...I'll work in simple terms and I've not included everything but I'll give you some examples:-

To earn £25K take home pay you need to actually earn £31,250 - that figure is based on £25K plus 25%, that extra 25% is needed to pay your income tax and national insurance for the year (approx.)

Working 8 hours per day x 5 days per week = 40 hours (yes you can work more)
40 hours per week x 40 weeks per year = 1600 hours per year (allowing 4 weeks holiday a year)
£31250/1600 = £19.53 per hour

Therefore you need to structure your prices to ensure you earn at least that amount per hour just to cover your time. so for instance, your basic one hour manicure needs to be approx £20. A full body massage for 1.5 hours needs to be £29.25, etc.

Then you need to add in your product costs, and your generall business costs, insurance, bills, advertising, washing, etc. So for a basic manicure lets say you use £3.50 of products (handwash, antibac, cotton wool, abrasives, cuticle remover, paper towel, polish, acetone,etc.) this means your basic 1 hour manicure need to be in the region of £23.50 (£19.53+£3.50). Your full body massage products (??? I'd guess £5??) so £35.00.

***All these figures are approximate and just used for example - other expenses need to be taken into consideration and tax allowances are available***

PPPPP - perfect planning prevents poor performance - I'm sure you've heard it a million times in your current job, apply it in your new one too and you'll fly, good luck :hug:

Latest posts

Back