Can I use my UK CND Shellac lamp in US/Canada?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I'm visiting Canada and brought my Shellac gear so I could treat my mum to a manicure - will there be any issue if I use a regular travel plug (UK to US) converter with my lamp?

Just checking before I blow it up.... :eek:

Thank you!

Different voltage so things like hairdryer, curling/straightening irons etc, can work but run really slowly. I wouldn't want to risk it with my lamp though.

I don't think it will be a problem

I don't think it will be a problem

Yes .. It certainly WILL be a problem, and you will need a voltage converiter or your lamp could be irreparably ruined.

This is an important question ... If you are not SURE about the answer then you should not answer it.

North American voltage is 110 ... In the UK it is 240, more than twice the voltage. If your lamp runs slow it will not cure! End of story. Do not use it.

But won't it be okay if a travel adaptor is used?

But won't it be okay if a travel adaptor is used?

No it wont be ok!The adaptor only allows the item to be plugged in to the wall it doesn't convert the voltage-some appliances have a built-in voltage converter so you can still get the same power output eg travel hairdryers etc. the cnd lamp does not have this built in so not only will it be running at low capacity leaving the shellac uncured, the lamp will most likely be damaged in the process

Last edited:
Thanks, that's my new info for the day. I thought the adapters did convert the voltage. Sorry.

If you have ever travelled abroad from europe to US and simply used a travel adaptor you will notice that your electricial items do not work properly. Hair Dryers hardly make a draught, battery chargers take an age to recharge, etc etc. Us voltage is only 120v vs 240v in the uk so it's only half the power.

Your CND light will almost certainly not perform at full capacity (if at all) and therefore you will not get a full cure. You need a voltage converter that can 'step up' the voltage. These aren't expensive but typically cost more than a regular travel adaptor.

A word of warning though, these aren't 100% reliable and personally I wouldn't risk it with an expensive bit of kit like a CND lamp. You may invalidate your warranty too.

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! I'm glad I asked first. I was pressed for time so I just packed it along with my supplies and figured I'd ask when I got here.

I brought my old Brisa lamp (my emergency spare) just in case of a problem. But I'd rather not fry it to a crisp.

I'll see if I can buy/borrow one over here - for what I paid for my mum's nails to be done last time I visited, I could probably afford a new lamp. There's only NSS around here and I'm not sending her there!

Thanks everyone!

Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! I'm glad I asked first. I was pressed for time so I just packed it along with my supplies and figured I'd ask when I got here.

I brought my old Brisa lamp (my emergency spare) just in case of a problem. But I'd rather not fry it to a crisp.

I'll see if I can buy/borrow one over here - for what I paid for my mum's nails to be done last time I visited, I could probably afford a new lamp. There's only NSS around here and I'm not sending her there!

Thanks everyone!

There is no need to go over the top and to buy a new lamp!! Man .. A small plug-in voltage converter is not hard to find, and not as expensive as a new lamp by a long shot. Very neat and very handy to have when travelling.

Latest posts

Back