Can you charge while training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amber2007

Reaction score
I am currently doing NSI Acrylic course and now need to practice as much as I can.

Can you charge a very small amount while practising to cover costs?

X

If their paying you for the service your liable for anything going wrong, I'm guessing you don't have insurance as your training? Personally if I wanted to practice on someone I wouldn't charge them

If you wish to then you certainly can but remember that you need clients to practice on more than they need you . I would have though while you are still training that it would be better to get as much practice in as you can and you are more likely to get that if you don't charge

If you do still wish to charge I would have though £4/5 maximum

What most people do not seem to be aware of is that apart from a few London boroughs there is NO regulation governing nail technicians - It would not even be against the law to practice without any training at all - Something I would not and do not advocate

So given that legally you do not HAVE to have any training there is nothing to stop you charging if you want to but bear in mind that if not qualified you would not be able to gain insurance so would be working without it and again not something i would want to do

I've only recently finished my Acrylic nails training and even with being a therapist for 11years now I would not have charged for practice sets of nails. In fact, I had to do ten case studies so I did ten full sets and refilled them all once free of charge. You want people to know you are only starting out/learning because you will make some little errors, someone might lose a nail, nails lifting etc.

I
I've only recently finished my Acrylic nails training and even with being a therapist for 11years now I would not have charged for practice sets of nails. In fact, I had to do ten case studies so I did ten full sets and refilled them all once free of charge. You want people to know you are only starting out/learning because you will make some little errors, someone might lose a nail, nails lifting etc.
I agree. I am training at the moment and find it difficult to get people to model for acrylic nails and therefore would not charge them anything, however some people do offer me a little something and will not take no for an answer, I've had meals bought, bottles of wine and even the odd £10 which is always appreciated.

Regards

Ellie

In my state (MA), you cannot charge until you are fully licensed and insured, unless you are working under the direct supervision of a trained and insured tech. I know every place doesn't have such a requirement, but i think it's a good way of operating.

Personally, I would not charge a model......
When you qualify, then it's 'pay back time' :D

While I was training I bought student insurance with ABT and I remember my lecturers saying that you can suggest a donation to cover the costs of products used but can't have a set charge for the treatments like a price list etc I only really did friends and family.

Yes!
When your training is usually for most people the time that you don't have a lot of money to spend so even if it's £5 at least it can help towards your products. Plus as Stacy above said if you could get student insurance from ABT this would give you some confidence "incase" any problems arise

Latest posts

Back