Career change / college / dermatitis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubella21

Reaction score
i am about to complete my part time city and guilds make up course which I have absolutely loved. So much so that I want to go to college in August and do my vrq level 2 I'm beauty therapy.

Currently I work in a reasonably paid office job which is unfulfilling, I have little interest in and lack engagement. I am prepared for my income to virtually half and live as a student for 2 years. I am 36, no dependents and really want to follow my dream. No brainer yeh but the thing is this. Contact dermatitis. At 16 I was a trainee hairdresser and hAd to leave the industry because of it. I've always had sensitive skin since and it has flared up a little doing the make up, cleansing etc..

Long story short, despite the potential for issues with actually having a full time career in the industry, who would actually consider leaving their job to pursue a dream which might result in being unable to continue with it. Life is too short I feel and there are lots of areas I could pursue in the industry thereafter. Think I have just answered my own query but feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

You can wear gloves for the majority of treatments.
Do you react to oils and lotions?

You can wear gloves for the majority of treatments.
Do you react to oils and lotions?
Yes exactly thats my thinking too.. I think it's mostly lotions I would react to so between using gloves and barrier creams where I can't use gloves, I think it will be manageable, at least for the college part. Even just washing my hands more I notice a difference, just little flare ups, but flare ups all the same but I have a real desire to do this and second year more complimentary I just wanted feedback or maybe more accurately encouragement that I should pursue this given there are potential red flags for me :)

I think as long as you look after your hands and use a really good (maybe prescribed) cream when you're supposed to, to keep flaring to a minimum you should be ok.

I think as long as you look after your hands and use a really good (maybe prescribed) cream when you're supposed to, to keep flaring to a minimum you should be ok.
Thanks. What's good advice for looking after hands? And are there any creams you recommend. I've tried gloves in a bottle. Although a bit expensive

When ever I've had what looks like dermatitis I've used either aqueous cream or dermal lotion. But that's been self diagnosed.

Personally I'd suggest seeing your GP and asking for a referral to a dermatologist to understand what's causing the dermatitis. That way you can effectively manage the condition.
You might be told something you don't want to hear but at least you can make an informed decision and (hopefully) protect your health. The last thing I'm sure you'd want is to make the situation worse.

I hope it works out for you :) x

Latest posts

Back