Certificate III and Apprenticeships

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scissorhands

Reaction score
I've spent well over a year doing my Certificate III at a hair college. Cert III is where I learn all the theory and practical which covers everything (cutting, colour, upstyling, straightening etc). I was really confused with how Cert III, Cert IV and diploma works in terms of getting me a job and at what entry level I eneter as this can vary greatly from salon to salon depending on how they operate.

I've had a classmate who finished his Cert III and started off as a Junior at a salon and he told me he'll be on the floor (I'm assuming as a Senior) in a few months time. This would be ideally what I'm hoping for.

Long story but I didn't mind stretching it out a bit as I would like to really perfect all my basic skills/people skills and really build up my confidence before moving onto becoming a Senior and doing my own clients. So that was why I signed up to an apprenticeship which is 2 years for me (instead of three, as I got one year credit from having done my Cert III).

I guess that 2 years isn't a long time. But what I'm really asking you guys is that, whether there is a better option or I'm just kind of doing it the long way. Anyone else who has a Cert III and working in a salon? What's your situation?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated. Cheers :green:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back