Chair rent

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradburywilson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently working in a village salon where me and 4 others rent chairs. We have all worked there a long time and love it but the problem is the owner has decided he wants to put the rent up but we already think we are paying too much as it is. I just need some scope on how much other people pay/charge.
We pay £40 per day and this includes water, electricity, phone and insurance.
We provided all our own stock, ie colours, hair products, shampoo/conditioner, we even buy the tea/coffee/sugar and cleaning products!!!
After speaking to a couple of people it seems that for £40pp we should be getting something more included in what we get??
I would really appreciate hearing what everyone pays/charge and what's included xxx
Sorry for the really long thread!!!ha

I don't think £40 per day is too much if you have a regular clientele. It's basically 1 cut & blow or a couple of blow drys then the rest is yours! If you were employed you would be being paid more than that a day on NMW so the owner can't be expected to make less than that really. It's a lot more expensive running a salon then you might think. By the time you factor in business rates, rent, utilities, licenses, insurances, they prob don't have a great deal left!

That's almost £3.5k a month.

If you're all in agreement in the salon, negotiate as a group with the salon owner. If it's a village salon and you all left, he'd have to recruit new stylists to rent from him and presumably, that won't happen overnight. It sounds like collectively, you have some bargaining strength.

However, you need to weigh up what else is included in the rent. Does the owner spend money keeping the salon in good repair and regularly upgrading the fittings and decor? Do you have a cleaner in every day?

I'm assuming by insurance, you mean insurance for the salon building? The owner should be paying that themselves.

If you're self employed, you should be buying your own public lability insurance. If you accidentally burnt your client with the straighteners, the client would sue you not the salon, so you need to be covered by your own policy.

Latest posts

Back