Changing career and advice on Qualifications needed :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairyNails

Reaction score
Hello All

I have been snooping around this forum for the past few days and have finally plucked up the courage to post.

I am planning on a change of career from working 9-5 in an office to working as a creative nail technician. However, at the moment I am bamboozled with information over qualifications.

My main plan is to work freelance on my own so need to know what level of qualification I would need to do this. I have been interested in starting a nail course for a long time but never knew enough about it and basically didn't have the confidence to start until now.

I live in Scotland and have been told I need an NVQ but other research suggests I need a VTCT Level 2.

I have looked into 3 course all NQ's in nail manicure, acrylics and gel nails. However a better course may be the Level 2 Nail Technology and Level 2 Nail Art.

I also want to train in MINX nails and currently confused over CND and NIS and what this means.

As you can tell I am so so new to all of this but I really want to make sure I am well equipped and fully qualified before I start taking any clients on.

To cut a long story short, I would love your knowledge on the best courses to attend, the qualifications needed and what are essential kit items and best places to purchase.

The sooner I get started the better, really can't wait to start a whole new career.

Thanks x

If you go on www.sweetsquared.com they have a full list of education and courses. I wish i'd done my training with CND, now saving up to do my conversion course!!!

Where abouts in scotland are you?

If you go on www.sweetsquared.com they have a full list of education and courses. I wish i'd done my training with CND, now saving up to do my conversion course!!!
@Aphrodites

Thanks for that link that was useful and will def look into CND. x

Where abouts in scotland are you?
@tenorcutie

I am based in Glasgow but happy to travel depending on length of course.

I had looked at courses at local colleges but really not sure how credible they are.

Latest posts

Back