Cheap mobile card payment reader for recently opened small salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastermjr2004

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

We are a new salon recently opened nearly 2 months now and have decided to take card payments as have had lots of clients going to the bank after not having enough or being interested then not having any cash on them or not having enough then never hearing from them again Just would like to ask which mobile card payment reader would you recommend to have?

I have heard of Izettle and World Pay Zinc so would like some opinions on what they think of them.

Thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Hi, I use sumup & it's great, although if you're a salon I'm guessing you want a chip & pin machine which they don't have at the moment!

The fees are 1.95% from any visa/MasterCard and it's in my bank within 3 working days!

WorldPay Zinc for me, I'm on the £10 'all you can eat tarriff' so I pay £10 a month by direct debit and forget about it. There have 3 tiers of payments, if I remember correctly, £0 per month and about 65p per transaction, £5 per month and 55p per transaction or £10 AYCE.

It's £55 for the card reader and apart from issues keeping a charge on it, I've had no problems with actual transactions and/or money reaching my account.

WorldPay Zinc for me, I'm on the £10 'all you can eat tarriff' so I pay £10 a month by direct debit and forget about it. There have 3 tiers of payments, if I remember correctly, £0 per month and about 65p per transaction, £5 per month and 55p per transaction or £10 AYCE.

It's £55 for the card reader and apart from issues keeping a charge on it, I've had no problems with actual transactions and/or money reaching my account.

Thanks so much for your reply. Card reader has increased to £79.99 :( and they now only have two plans one pay as you go at 2.75% or £6 a month at 1.95%. :(

Looks like you had a great deal back then. :p

Kind Regards,

Matt

Hi, I use sumup & it's great, although if you're a salon I'm guessing you want a chip & pin machine which they don't have at the moment!

The fees are 1.95% from any visa/MasterCard and it's in my bank within 3 working days!

Thanks so much for your reply. Indeed you are right we would need a chip and pin device. :)

If you need a chip and pin device I recommend a 'proper' terminal. Not one for mobile phones etc.

We have been with card save for quite a while and there great. They have always been owned by WorldPay but traded under card save but now they trade under world pay. Here is a link Card Machines, Merchant Services, Online Payment Processing |Cardsave.

I think for a terminal is about £25 a month but you get 300 free debit card transactions with that then approx 20p there after.

You get the proper backing of a merchant account through Streamline too.

They are negotiable on there transaction fees so don't be afraid to haggle on figures first quoted. After months of searching they seem the most reasonable. Also have the option to take cards over the phone.

If you need a chip and pin device I recommend a 'proper' terminal. Not one for mobile phones etc.

We have been with card save for quite a while and there great. They have always been owned by WorldPay but traded under card save but now they trade under world pay. Here is a link Card Machines, Merchant Services, Online Payment Processing |Cardsave.

I think for a terminal is about £25 a month but you get 300 free debit card transactions with that then approx 20p there after.

You get the proper backing of a merchant account through Streamline too.

They are negotiable on there transaction fees so don't be afraid to haggle on figures first quoted. After months of searching they seem the most reasonable. Also have the option to take cards over the phone.

Thanks for your reply. Did you have to pay for the terminal? If so how much? Is that the only monthly charge that you pay not including transanction fees...£25 a month?

Kind Regards,

Matt

Hi Geeks,

We are a new salon recently opened nearly 2 months now and have decided to take card payments as have had lots of clients going to the bank after not having enough or being interested then not having any cash on them or not having enough then never hearing from them again Just would like to ask which mobile card payment reader would you recommend to have?

I have heard of Izettle and World Pay Zinc so would like some opinions on what they think of them.

Thanks in advanced.

Kind Regards,

Matt

I bank with with Santander and they offer Elavon mobile merchant so you do it through your mobile which is great as you can take it anywhere with you. I think you pay a one off fee of £90 iirc then it's just 2.95% of every transaction. No monthly fees.

Thanks for your reply. Did you have to pay for the terminal? If so how much? Is that the only monthly charge that you pay not including transanction fees...£25 a month?

Kind Regards,

Matt

I personally don't have a terminal as we are online only but I did see the pricing and I believe it's free. Your basically renting it as such. Yeah approx £25 should be your only monthly charge ex transaction fees.

Give them a call. There helpful.

P.S. I was previously with Elavon and hated them. No support for me and didn't like there 3 year contract.

Beware of £25 per month it may well be subject to VAT which puts it nearer to £30.

You need to work out how many transactions you are likely to take.

Using your Worldpay Zinc calculation of 2.75% you would need to take 49 payments of £25 (61p per transaction) to equate to £30 per month with the other system mentioned.

Obviously I don't know your prices, or your turnover of clients, so that's just an example.

If your average charge is less then your cost would be less and you could take more payments to equal the £30 per month.

My mobile phone app has a chip & pin reader

My mobile phone app has a chip & pin reader

I don't dispute you can get them, I just personally don't agree with them :)

Hi
I use Izettle, I have a free plug in for my I phone or iPad you put the customers card in, it texts them immediately they confirm payment and it goes through in seconds. I didn't pay for reader and they charge 2 7% which i make the customer Aware of before transaction. It's in your account in a coue of days,
You can see reports on your phone transactions by day, week, orp th. Print of a copy
Or if customers pay by cash or cheq you can add this onto Izettle payments page do it's all logged. I've had no problems love it.

I personally don't have a terminal as we are online only but I did see the pricing and I believe it's free. Your basically renting it as such. Yeah approx £25 should be your only monthly charge ex transaction fees.

Give them a call. There helpful.

P.S. I was previously with Elavon and hated them. No support for me and didn't like there 3 year contract.

I've personally had no problems with Elavon and their customer service is good. Sorry you've not experienced the same service. I'm also not tied into a 3yr contract, do you bank with Santander?

I've personally had no problems with Elavon and their customer service is good. Sorry you've not experienced the same service. I'm also not tied into a 3yr contract, do you bank with Santander?

It's one them things :) I don't take it personally lol.
No I don't. At the time I banked with Barclays but now with HSBC.

Wow, does the £10 P/M cover everything, no other charges?

Latest posts

Back