Cheaper sulfate-free products for hair extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joannesherrell

Reaction score
When I did my training, I was always told to steer clear of cheaper drugstore shampoo and conditioners when it comes to hair extensions. However after a bit of research, I have found that brands such as OGX and L'Oréal Everpure are sulfate-free and I wondered what people's perspectives were on recommending these to clients? As far as I was aware, it's the sulfates that we need to be weary of when it comes to hair extensions. What difference does it make using cheaper brands that are still sulfate free? I'm compiling a list of recommended aftercare products for use with hair extensions on my business website and was wondering whether it's safe to list these budget brands as hair extension friendly? Thanks guys x

Hi @joannesherrell!

Most hair extension suppliers will recommend their own branded shampoo as it's designed specifically for their hair, cheaper brands definitely steer clear of! Cheaper brands are usually packed full of harmful chemicals that cause drying of the hair or are full of silicone leaving a layer on top of the hair - eek!

The safest option is to stick with the recommend shampoo by the brand you're purchasing from.

We hope this helps!

Belle xx

Hi @joannesherrell!

Most hair extension suppliers will recommend their own branded shampoo as it's designed specifically for their hair, cheaper brands definitely steer clear of! Cheaper brands are usually packed full of harmful chemicals that cause drying of the hair or are full of silicone leaving a layer on top of the hair - eek!

The safest option is to stick with the recommend shampoo by the brand you're purchasing from.

We hope this helps!

Belle xx

Thank you! Definitely agree with the silicones. Any idea what these other harmful chemicals are? I'm doing my research [emoji38]

I have recently seen L'Oréal advertising a sulphate free shampoo on tv, 'low shampoo' it's called. I haven't tried it though but thought about it.

While I have many extensions customers the majority of them will not fork out on shampoo and conditioner that's £10+ a bottle or if I show them I sell the recommended stuff they have the audacity to take photos of the products and find them on Amazon...!!!!!!!!!!

I've been thinking about charging more for extensions and including the recommended products in the cost xx

I find majority of my clients after buying professional they would end up buying high street shampoo when finished with the professional so now I tell all clients if they are going to do that go for loreal ever pure sulphate free and no one's had a problem yet xx

I have recently seen L'Oréal advertising a sulphate free shampoo on tv, 'low shampoo' it's called. I haven't tried it though but thought about it.

While I have many extensions customers the majority of them will not fork out on shampoo and conditioner that's £10+ a bottle or if I show them I sell the recommended stuff they have the audacity to take photos of the products and find them on Amazon...!!!!!!!!!!

I've been thinking about charging more for extensions and including the recommended products in the cost xx

I was thinking about doing the same and offering the service as an all-round package with aftercare products included, just so you know they're treating the hair correctly! Even if it's just for the period of time the supplier guarantee on the hair lasts for.

My clients use L'Oréal everpure and all there hair extensions feel gorg.
Would rather do a cheaper option and know my clients will be using sulphate free, none of my clients would pay £12 per a item for aftercare x
I offer a set of L'Oréal everpure shampoo, conditioner, g2b oil and brush for £25 only make profit on the brush or if the everpure is on offer but would rather they had the correct aftercare x

Most of my clients use the everpure range and most of them have had 9+months of wear :) x

Latest posts

Back