Chemical reaction? Please read and discuss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMuggle

Reaction score
I was highlighting my daughters hair a while back with wella 12/81 &12/16. I had run out of welloxon 12% so opted to use salon services brand 12%. The foils started to generate an incredible amount of heat and started actually drip what I can only describe as condensation. For a moment I started to panic fearing some sort of chemical reaction, however as I know the hairs full history (and it was my daughter) I decided to cautiously wait and see what happened. The foils did cool down and after full development time (60 mins), the desired result was achieved with no damage at all done to the hair! I've never had this happen using welloxon or salon services band peroxide before and wondered if it was something to do with just the high lift series. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and what are your theories on this???

Sorry I don't use Wella so hopefully another Geek can advise.

However, might be worth trying again with a few strand tests of other hair to see if it's the Wella & Sallys brand peroxide mix rather than anything on your daughters hair.

Also, just to confirm your thoughts, any heat given off is definitely a chemical reaction.

I was highlighting my daughters hair a while back with wella 12/81 &12/16. I had run out of welloxon 12% so opted to use salon services brand 12%. The foils started to generate an incredible amount of heat and started actually drip what I can only describe as condensation. For a moment I started to panic fearing some sort of chemical reaction, however as I know the hairs full history (and it was my daughter) I decided to cautiously wait and see what happened. The foils did cool down and after full development time (60 mins), the desired result was achieved with no damage at all done to the hair! I've never had this happen using welloxon or salon services band peroxide before and wondered if it was something to do with just the high lift series. Has anyone ever had this happen to them and what are your theories on this???

I've also experienced this, I was experimenting on a training head and used 12/89 with salon services 12% and put her hair in a processing cap, I came back 10 minutes later to find the hair was RED HOT and there was yellow liquid dripping from the bag onto the floor, though whatever it was didn't effect the final result x

I've also experienced this, I was experimenting on a training head and used 12/89 with salon services 12% and put her hair in a processing cap, I came back 10 minutes later to find the hair was RED HOT and there was yellow liquid dripping from the bag onto the floor, though whatever it was didn't effect the final result x

That's what puzzles me. I may have to experiment with other combos of wella colour and salon services 12% although I'm pretty sure this reaction only occurred with the highlift 12 line? :-/

Also the fact that it did not affect the result or hair condition is what's throwing me.

That sounds like a metallic salt reaction? Definitely chemical though,

Sent from my tiny little mind using SalonGeek mobile app

That's what puzzles me. I may have to experiment with other combos of wella colour and salon services 12% although I'm pretty sure this reaction only occurred with the highlift 12 line? :-/

That's the first time I've used the salon services 12% and that happened, it puzzled me too

I used to use wella 12/81 with Dennis Williams branded 12% and two other colours when highlighting my sister's hair and didn't notice any heat/dripping, aside from a little extra swelling of product after 15 mins or so.

Though I haven't used any salon services branded products before. I would have freaked out too if I'd had a reaction like that! I'd agree with the metallic salts theory, hope she hasn't been sneaking Sun-In onto her hair haha! How strange that it didn't affect the outcome at all!?

My friend mentioned to me recently that when using Sally's own brand bleach it went red hot, I think she used their own brand peroxide with it.

Defo no metallic salt reaction (unless it's in the water). She only lets me do her hair and always uses wella brilliance shampoo and conditioner. Xx

My friend mentioned to me recently that when using Sally's own brand bleach it went red hot, I think she used their own brand peroxide with it.

I've used other wella colours and blondor in the past with salon services peroxide and never had this reaction, which makes me think it's to do with the high lift tints?

I think it couldbe the water! That has only ever happen to me on metallic salt hair. The only thing that is throwing me re the met salt is that there was no damage...... .
I've never left it on after it start dropping to see what the condition if the hair would be like but I was always taught jouse hair would frazzle away!
Think I'll be on a google mission tomorrow x

Sent from my tiny little mind using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back