Children in salon!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurensbeauty

Reaction score
Okay so my nail/beauty station is located in my friends tattoo studio, Now as it's a tattoo studio it's meant to be 18+ but during the summer we allow 2 children per parent/guardian aslong as they are WELL behaved and don't come In to the actual tattoo room, Today I did a ladies nails she brought 4 children with her and they absolutely TRASHED the shop, The one kid pulled the fan off the table and it snapped one of the spinny things inside, he threw scissors across the room I told him 'no that's naughy' and he told me to shut up, His mom laughed, Then they crunched up a whole pack of beef monster munch (they stink) and threw them all on the floor, pushed smarties down the side of the couch, Then she left her kids dirty poo nappies just outside the shop door, Not even in a BAG!!!! all this happened in the space of a hour and a half, I didn't even know what to say to her! I can only IMAGINE what her house is like, can anyone advise me on how to deal wit clients like this 😢 luckily it's my friend that owns the shop otherwise I think I would of lost my job! Also the children made the tattooist loose his mind and go home 3 hours early loosing him out on around £250! how guilty do I feel.

Are there signs up saying max of 2 children? You can always say you're not insured to cover children in the salon due to the nature of equipment that is around.
What does your friend say as the owner?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You can/could of handled it in a few ways.

1. Politely explain to your client before the appointment that only two children are permitted in to the salon, would she like to rebook for when she has adequate child care.

2. Whilst the behaviour is going on, politely tell your client that unless the children sit quietly, stop making a mess etc, then you have no other option but to stop the treatment.

3. Don't ever allow children in to your salon- I know it's a shame for those that do behave, but sometimes a blanket ban is all you can do. It's not like you can say only bring your children if they are well behaved ;)

As an aside, it may be worth checking your insurance and the tattoo parlours insurance and see if you're covered for children being on the premises especially as its an establishment for 18 and overs. Not only for the safety of the children, but for other clients, equipment and products.

That sounds just awful! I'm sorry you net through this. I can't imagine that you could produce decent work under those circumstances.

Ultimately though, I blame this on you. Sounds unfair, I know, but people will push you only as far as you allow. Their behavior was totally unacceptable and you should have shut it down immediately. It is unfair to your other clients and co-workers as well. You should never allow more than one instance of such behavior in your business. You are dealing with dangerous chemicals and implements, and you will be held liable if something happens to those kids or their mom (and aren't people like this just the ones who will sue you?!). When the first misbehavior occurred, you should have stopped the service and refused to continue until they complied with the salon's rules (which are posted, right?). You can be polite and respectful - in fact, you want to be a model of respectful behavior, but you must be be absolutely firm.

This family disrespected you, your salon and your work. And you allowed it. Don't ever let anyone do that again.

Thanks for all your replies & advice! there is signs up during summer saying Max 2 children and for tattoos 18+, we're insured for children as the owner has 2 kiddies who come into the shop some days but there is a waiting area then a door into the tattoo room that's always closed, I have a little section on one side of the room, it drove me mad, I said to her would you like to come back tomorrow instead when she could get someone else to child mind as there Is dangerous objects and chemicals (this was before he threw scissors) but she said they was really well behaved this was obviously before they decided to turn into daemons, I felt so embarrassed towards the owner I couldn't apologise enough, Luckily he felt my pain and just gave me a well needed hug, I have now posted a message to my Facebook page politely explaining the new children situation.... she liked my post so don't know if she knew it was because of her badly behaved children!x

Honestly, I would have asked them to leave. That sounds absolutely horrendous, I don't know how some people can let their kids behave like that!

I have now posted a message to my Facebook page politely explaining the new children situation.... she liked my post so don't know if she knew it was because of her badly behaved children!x

Sounds like she needs an occasional break from her demon children as well!

Honestly, I would have asked them to leave. That sounds absolutely horrendous, I don't know how some people can let their kids behave like that!

She's blocked me on Facebook now haha x

Guilty conscience me thinks!M

I'm mobile and dread bad kids. There's only so much you can do/say in someone else's house. I tactfully told one kid once and lost the client. She didn't say anything but I'd done her twice and never since. So now reluctant. Plus I won't leave halfway through a treatment.

Urgh. It's so hard

I had a similar experience but not as bad, my mams friend and daughter came for a 4hr app and brung their 3 grand children who were 6-13 years old. Now I'll point out I unashamedly hate kids, just being around them winds me up. So i had the first 2hrs of all 3 of them stood over me, so close that if i turned in my chair I'd be touching them, until they found my spare chair that id 'forgot' to mention and they spent the rest of the time arguing over that. I usually have the door to my home salon locked to seperate it from the house but because they were 'friends' they had free run of the house which meant they were running in and out chasing my 2 dogs about so I had both dogs running under my table and chairs trying to get away, they were dragging my chihuahua about and picking him up to the point where he was visibility distressed and I had to stop and take him off them. Every time i put the dogs out and closed the door they would just open it again, every time their mam or nannah asled them to sit still they would ignore it and it wasnt enforced. They asked me constant questions and kicked my table and touched all my stuff and I was stressed to the max. I've told my mam that I won't be taking appointments for them again and I know it's my own fault but I'm too polite. I've got on my website that no kids are allowed but because the odd time people have brung kids I've not said anything I feel like I can't enforce it now, flipping kids! X

Hey! If anyone asks me is it ok to bring the kids along ( c'mon.... Why!!!!) I just say 'I'm sorry, my insurance doesn't cover me for children on the premises!)
I learned this from another geek ☺️😉

I don't think it's our fault at all. It's the parents fault

I would not have DARED behave like that. One look from mum and I knew I was in for it.

It's the only down side to being mobile in other peoples homes as you obv can't enforce no kids!! :sad:

I don't think it's our fault at all. It's the parents fault

I would not have DARED behave like that. One look from mum and I knew I was in for it.

It's the only down side to being mobile in other peoples homes as you obv can't enforce no kids!! :sad:

No, it is our fault when we allow people to endanger us, our work or our clients. And believe me, your insurance company will hold you responsible! I will stop a treatment in the middle if the situation is dangerous. Clearly, parents ought to manage their children properly, but some don't or can't. And children are very good at figuring out who they can and can't push around. I've perfected the "mom stare." :twisted: My friends say a look from me can freeze a child in her/his tracks! But it is my business and my rules.

Maybe "fault" is the wrong word. Responsibility, perhaps, is better. It isn't your fault that she has demon children, or that she brought them with her and won't discipline them properly. But it is your responsibility to ensure the safety of your client, co-workers, yourself, and even the demon children.

Last edited:
That sounds like a day from hell! The last thing you need when you are concentrating is kids running a riot. I get stressed out if a clients baby starts crying! I have been lucky so far, all my clients who have brought their kids have just sat on my pedi chair and waited quietly. I have a client who had to bring her baby a few times and she is more a friend so I was looking forward to baby cuddles. It would have been fine if he had just slept and didn't cry so she had to pick him up mid way through her shellac!! My daughter is very well behaved, if my husband isn't home and I have a regular coming under extreme circumstances I bring her in with me, she just sits in the pedi chair touches nothing and plays with my ipad, I give her the death stare if the volume is too high or she tried to speak lol. I would never bring her into a hair salon if I wasn't 100% sure she would behave, it's shocking what some people will pull, my mum never took us to her hair salon when she had her hair done even though we daren't misbehave! Clients like these are not worth keeping

Thanks for everyone's replies! glad I'm not the only one who's had problems with these devil children, Same here once my mom took me to the nail shop and I dropped my crisps and cleaned them up straight away and still got the 'Wait till we get home' threat I never even breathed after that hahaha kids are let off with so much these days, why go to get a pamper and take your nauseating kids?! baffles me

reminds me that some of things I see kids do these days I would never of got away with a couple of years ago. I had a client a couple of months ago who's daughter was about 15, boasting about how she's driven her mum's car etc. She then jumps up grabs her mum's keys jumps in the car, revving the engine, blaring the music right outside the shop. My client, the mother just sits there whining at her to stop. If that was my mum, whether she was having highlights or not, would of jumped out of that chair, grabbed me by the throat and dragged me out of the car 😂 and I wouldn't never do that anyway, not even now im 20 as im too scared haha x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back