Choosing a colour brand?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma Ballance

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the page but looking for advice on choosing a colour brand.
I'm thinking about setting up mobile I'm already self employed renting a chair on a split profit basis and I hate the colours that we use im unsure on what colours to use If I do go on my own. I've been looking at either wella or Schwarzkopf, I love Schwarzkopf but put of by how big there range is and it's been a couple of years since I used them so I'm out of touch as I know they have fetched out a lot of new ranges since I last used them. if you don't mind me asking )and if this okay to ask?) what brands do other mobile hairdressers use? I suppose my main concern is I'm loosing the support & advice of a salon and the reps that come in and this worries me a lot.
Thanks in advance!

It's handy to understand a few colour ranges as this gives you more flexibility. I mainly use TiGi, Wella, Affinage, Alfaparf, Montibello. I don't keep a huge stock of colour and I mix a lot of my tints rather than just use straight from the tube.

Check out all your local hairdressing wholesalers as they run regular colour courses. It's important to keep up to date and some of your training costs can be offset against tax.

It's handy to understand a few colour ranges as this gives you more flexibility. I mainly use TiGi, Wella, Affinage, Alfaparf, Montibello. I don't keep a huge stock of colour and I mix a lot of my tints rather than just use straight from the tube.

Check out all your local hairdressing wholesalers as they run regular colour courses. It's important to keep up to date and some of your training costs can be offset against tax.

Thank you I have used quite a lot of colour brands wella, Schwarzkopf, clynol, affinage & alfaparf. Out of all I prefer out of wella & Schwarzkopf are my favourite and I would probably use a mixture of both as I prefer some of one than the other. I loved some of the alfaparf ranges but they will be difficult for me to get hold of as my local wholesalers are Sally's and Alan Howard and I know they don't stock some of those. I would look into colour training courses when I'm set up on my feet to keep up to date with new ranges and different colouring techniques.

Don't forget to check out Denis Williams and Adel for courses too.

You really don't need to carry lots of stock. One of the advantages of being mobile is that you're not tied to any specific brand so you can use and retail your favourite products to your clients. :)

I use rusk I love it!

I wouldn't bother with bits 4 hair if your used to Schwarzkopf there's a huge difference in quality!

@AcidPerm whats montibello colour like? I have a rep keeps hounding me to try it! I have the smart touch off him but haven't been brace abough to try the colour yet

Hi guys, I'm new to the page but looking for advice on choosing a colour brand.
I'm thinking about setting up mobile I'm already self employed renting a chair on a split profit basis and I hate the colours that we use im unsure on what colours to use If I do go on my own. I've been looking at either wella or Schwarzkopf, I love Schwarzkopf but put of by how big there range is and it's been a couple of years since I used them so I'm out of touch as I know they have fetched out a lot of new ranges since I last used them. if you don't mind me asking )and if this okay to ask?) what brands do other mobile hairdressers use? I suppose my main concern is I'm loosing the support & advice of a salon and the reps that come in and this worries me a lot.
Thanks in advance!
I work i a salon where we always use matrix, however I also love Affinage, affinage some of the best Reds, and their .0X range have good grey coverage. However matrix is my go to for highlight blondes, toner and anyone who doesn't have grey hair :)

@AcidPerm whats montibello colour like? I have a rep keeps hounding me to try it! I have the smart touch off him but haven't been brace abough to try the colour yet

Sorry, I missed this.

Montebello's pretty good. They also include an ammonia and ppd free range called Oalia. The nearest warehouse to me (40 mins away) is quite small so I tried it out of necessity almost. I was pleasantly surprised and it's reasonably priced too.

I wouldn't bother with bits 4 hair if your used to Schwarzkopf there's a huge difference in quality!

Is your rep Nigel???

Latest posts

Back