Choosing Gel or L&P for a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
I did a search on this, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm not asking if I should offer one or the other...I want to use both, but I'm not sure how to choose the right system.

If you work with both gel and l&p, what is it about each client that helps you decide which system to use? Does it depend on the natural nail or more to do with lifestyle, or just the client's preference?

Do you try to match the client's nail to the material you choose, (ie a thin and soft nail would get gel, and a stronger nail lp)? Or do you give the nail what it lacks and choose the opposite system?

Curious to see everyone's answers...Trying to be more versatile...

I choose based on their lifestyle and personal preference. I don't think L/P is any stronger than gel when applied correctly. But I do have clients that work in chemicals that would basically soak off L/P nails--so gel is the way for them to go. But then I have couple die hard clients that no matter what I say--insist that they need to let their nails "rest" for a month or so every year--so L/P that can be soaked off easily is the way to go for them. Then there are the habitual "tanners" that should have gel because all the tanning products they use will stain acrylic, etc. When I am doing my initial client interview, I try to get all the info I can on their lifestyle, make a decision from that and explain to the client why I made that decision.
HTH!

I choose based on their lifestyle and personal preference. I don't think L/P is any stronger than gel when applied correctly. But I do have clients that work in chemicals that would basically soak off L/P nails--so gel is the way for them to go. But then I have couple die hard clients that no matter what I say--insist that they need to let their nails "rest" for a month or so every year--so L/P that can be soaked off easily is the way to go for them. Then there are the habitual "tanners" that should have gel because all the tanning products they use will stain acrylic, etc. When I am doing my initial client interview, I try to get all the info I can on their lifestyle, make a decision from that and explain to the client why I made that decision.
HTH!

Thank you! I don't mean that L/P is stronger, but it is harder. I use a gel top coat on everyone so clients can polish their nails and to prevent staining. So, I guess I'm asking is there a particular natural nail type that lends itself to one system over another? Or is it all about lifestyle, preference etc.?

HTH!

funny you say this my acrylic doesnt stain from tanning at all, do u buff to shine or use top coats????

On most I use a gel top coat, but I do have a couple that insist on a buff shine. But overall, I still use their lifestyle and their personal preference to make the decision. I haven't found one nail type that works better with one or the other. However, I have run across a severely "ski sloped" nail that I just prefer to use acrylic on over gel just because she wants them built up enough to give her a nice arch.

I did a search on this, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm not asking if I should offer one or the other...I want to use both, but I'm not sure how to choose the right system.

If you work with both gel and l&p, what is it about each client that helps you decide which system to use? Does it depend on the natural nail or more to do with lifestyle, or just the client's preference?

Do you try to match the client's nail to the material you choose, (ie a thin and soft nail would get gel, and a stronger nail lp)? Or do you give the nail what it lacks and choose the opposite system?

Curious to see everyone's answers...Trying to be more versatile...

I honestly think that it is down to client's preference. Sometimes it is down to chemistry (if a client can't keep L&P on her nails they sometimes can do quite well with gel) but you do not always know that at a first appointment.

I know with the products I use, the gel is as strong as the L&P .. it wears as well as the L&P .. I don't think it is any more flexible either (if it is, it is so marginal as to be non existent)... so it is down to the 'look' that clients prefer (some are addicted to that gel shine that doesn't come off when polish is removed). Some (like me) prefer the satin sheen of L&P when it is not highly buffed. There to me is no real advantage of one system over the other wear-ability wise.

As a technician, I use gel only when clients request it. No matter what anyone says, it is much faster to do L&P than gel so in the main, clients get L&P from me. :D

Latest posts

Back