Choosing staff - gut instinct?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujojones

Reaction score
hi geeks - in need of some advice again!

after a stressful week im not sure im in the right frame of mind to make a decision so need some other peoples views!

(setting the scene)

Opening a salon - have beauty therapists covering columns and receptionists for busy days, having hair BUT ONLY hair up and blow dry (have got a hairdresser happy to come in as and when who is already SE)

the beauty therapists - make up isnt there strong point but can do occasional wear etc - i have a SE therapist friend whos took a break from work to have babies - so is doing treatments from home - and has said shell work on a % for special days like race days etc.

so

I interviewed a girl the other day, who has just qualified in media make up - so does hair up / blows and make up - happy to work weekends, and her portfolio of work seems great! lovely girl really friendly etc cant seem to fault it!

I just have this niggling feeling it isnt right? cannot pinpoint it......

Do i have some employed to do make up - thats it? im not sure it would be necessary every week - but then am i losing out on bridal market etc?

but then i have some one who i can make money off far more than on a %

Id have to invest in a range of make up if I employed...

But shes happy to do weekends - sat and sun so i can cover every day the salon is open!

oh i just dont know....

Do i go with my Gut?? any advice is welcome x

If she doesn't give you a positive feeling, it's maybe for a reason,.have you obtained a reference from where she trained? I fell into that trap, I wish I'd listened to my gut, in 3 weeks she cost ME money

Good luck and congratulations on opening, hope Al hoes well :D

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

If she doesn't give you a positive feeling, it's maybe for a reason,.have you obtained a reference from where she trained? I fell into that trap, I wish I'd listened to my gut, in 3 weeks she cost ME money

Good luck and congratulations on opening, hope Al hoes well :D

Thanks! She doesn't know it but I know people who go to her college and I have a close friend who knows her aswell, all seems perfectly good, good feedback!

Just that little thing on my shoulder telling me it's not right !! X

Ok, just keep your wits about you :D

What's your hurry? You don't need her right now, so open up, see how it goes. It is a lot to employ someone for such a limited area. Would you not need make up anyway for your existing therapists to use? A lot of salons manage (especially to begin with) without make up!

I would personally hang fire - your gut is with me on this lol!

Vicki x

What's your hurry? You don't need her right now, so open up, see how it goes. It is a lot to employ someone for such a limited area. Would you not need make up anyway for your existing therapists to use? A lot of salons manage (especially to begin with) without make up!

I would personally hang fire - your gut is with me on this lol!

Vicki x

Lol! I'm going be listening to my gut I think! My reason for employing her is that I need a receptionist anyway, so may as well use her and she can earn money as well! Lol! I interviewed her as she had sent a really good cv, so thought id get her in nd see why she's like x x

Latest posts

Back