CIBTAC/EZFlow/World Federation Diploma?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missvain

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post, although not my first visit to nailgeek..I have been *lurking* in the shadows, busy reading and browsing and soaking in all the information available here. :eek:

I am planning on taking up a Nail Technician course, and would really appreciate if anyone could help me? I'm abit confused, and can be skeptical of sales people, so I'd much rather listen to your opinions and experiences.

My three choices of education, (not in order of preference):
#2 & #3 are offered by the same beauty academy.

1. EZFlow Diploma in Nail Technology
2. CIBTAC (UK) Diploma in Nail Technician - 80hrs
3. World Federation of Nail Artists & technologists Diploma (USA) - modules outlined for CIBTAC, PLUS additional 100hrs on advanced creative nail art & technology, polish nail art, fill & backfill, design & portfolio.)

My objectives:
1. Sign up for a course with internationally recognized certification
2. Have a sound grounding in this field (based on beginner level)
3. After learning basics well, practice, get experience, then take master classes (?? not sure if that's the right term ??)

is it better to take the full diplomas, or is it also ok to take individual certificates only? E.g. skip basic cert in mani & pedi, but take cert in nail enhancements & nail art as these the 2 areas I am really really interested in and feel that there is much to learn?

This is a great site, and so informative. Very inspiring, I hope that one day I can proudly say that I am a proficient and dedicated nail technician like all of you :Love:

Thanks for your patience and for taking the time to read my reaaalllly loooong post.. i better stop!

What should I do??? Look forward to your advice :lol:

don't quote me but when i did my first course last december i was told that you had to do a mani/pedi course for the basics also gives you knowledge of infections and technology. I will shortly be doing a ezflow progression course & they are know internationally. Depends what you want from the industry? It might be an idea if you could arrange a demo & then decide as everyone is different. Hope this helps a little??

bbfn dazzle:)

Did you take a full basic diploma course? Or just the mani + pedi module and then move on to other individual modules, a mix and match of certificates from different bodies?

And are EZFlow certificates on par/better with a CIBTAC certificate in terms of recognition and amount of knowledge gained?

Well, I'm really being cautious here on my choice of training route because I'm not really that young and so don't wanna "waste time" on a course that is not comprehensive or not good enough - I have a lot of catching up to do and I dont wanna run in circles, so to speak :confused:

Thanks again!

Any feedback on preference between EZFlow and CIBTAC training? Anyone? :)

OK Missvain it is Saturday and the site is slow at this time as you might expect so although I understand your impatience, try to keep your shirt on!! :)

First of all you cannot discount manicure or pedicure ...not if you want to be a successful nail technician. It makes no sense at all to ignore 95% of the market and just do enhancements when they account for only 5% (if that) of the market.

2ndly, you cannot service your enhancement clients properly without a thorough grounding in the anatomy and physiology that goes along with doing the job safely both for your clients and for you which you will get only on a high caliber course. I do not know if CIBTAC courses fall into this category?

If you get an NVQ at the end of the CIBTAC course from an excellent educator (and this is the most important thing NOT the certificate) then this is the MINIMUM qualification for practice on clients. MINIMUM ... not high level MINIMUM. As would be the case with any company Foundation course. Education is on-going and will take at least a year of many courses before you complete Master Level (assuming that you complete it successfully).

I hope you now have a more realistic idea about the course on which you are embarking.

Oops, sorry, yes yes, its Saturday.. haha. I should be patient :lol:

Your feedback is really helpful, thank you!

As i probably will not know anything about the quality of instruction until classes start, I figured my gauge can be based upon the issuing body of the diploma (e.g. CIBTAC or Ezflow), hoping they will live up to their reputation in the industry.

So, your advice is I should be asking the educators if I can qualify for an NVQ after completion of the diploma offered? That will be a good gauge of quality of instruction offered?

Yes, I understand Master level is not easy to achieve, hence the term "Master" :green: But that is my ultimate aim, and I give myself 3 years - hope that is realistic?

Also, for a diploma covering all essential units, will 80 hours be good enough? Or too little in your opinion?

missvain said:
Oops, sorry, yes yes, its Saturday.. haha. I should be patient :lol:

Your feedback is really helpful, thank you!

As i probably will not know anything about the quality of instruction until classes start, I figured my gauge can be based upon the issuing body of the diploma (e.g. CIBTAC or Ezflow), hoping they will live up to their reputation in the industry.

So, your advice is I should be asking the educators if I can qualify for an NVQ after completion of the diploma offered? That will be a good gauge of quality of instruction offered?

Yes, I understand Master level is not easy to achieve, hence the term "Master" :green: But that is my ultimate aim, and I give myself 3 years - hope that is realistic?

Also, for a diploma covering all essential units, will 80 hours be good enough? Or too little in your opinion?

80 hours is a decent amount of time to devote to Foundation level and I would think that this course should carry an NVQ with it. A CIBTAC diploma doesn't carry any more credibility with it because it is CIBTAC than anything else .... the name on the diploma is meaningless if the educator is rubbish. Believe me there are all sorts getting NVQ that is not worth the paper it is written on in terms of the 'quality' or the standard of the education. SAD but true.

Do a Search for NVQ here on the site and you will read hundreds of post regarding this issue. Some had great teachers, some had appalling teachers and all passed!! Some didn't know what they were doing even after they passed. It is shameful really. As long as this situation is allowed to exist, most of us believe in company education.

There is no requirement for a license here in the UK so the NAME on your certificate although not immaterial is not that important to anyone but you. The company that has won all the awards for their training programme is Creative Nail Design ... it is superb ... but then you will know that if you have been around on the Geek site for very long.

http://www.thenailgeek.com/articles/12766-learning-about-learning.html

You might find this article interesting to read.

Hi Missvain, welcome to the site.

I did my initial training with Creative Nail Design and can highly recommend their training. Ez Flow are also very good. My only experience with CIBTAC nail training was when I was doing my waxing training with them, the nails class was across the corridor and I knew someone in the class - I was horrified at what they were telling me about the training. Having said that, it's all down to the individual educator as Gigi says (and very good advice she has given too so worth listening too!). I have a friend who is a nail educator and so passionate about educating her students but I also know a couple more educators who just do the very minimum and pass their students whether they are good enough or not.

In my opinion, I'd stick with company training rather than college, at least for nails, unless you know of a good nail educator based in a college - I think it can be a bit 'hit and miss' at times! My preferences for would be Ez Flow and Creative Nail Design, it all depends on where you are able to go to.

Jackie

Thank you all, you have been very helpful. From what I've read here in all the posts, Creative's training will definitely be my 1st choice, but I don't think they are available here. So I thought EZflow would be my next best choice.

In any case, I will try again to search for a local Creative distributor, and hope that they offer training.

Latest posts

Back