Clean blonde-what brand do you use? Thoughts on client's colour?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colourqueen

Reaction score
After taking some time off back into mobile hair. Blondes have always been a bit iffy as i find each client doesnt exactly know what blonde they want.
Had a client call months after me telling her to grow her roots out and ease up before me dying it, which she has done, credit due! looks like a different head! Shes a L10 through dye and naturally a L6 with a fair amount of roots(finally listening to me!) so huge contrast

After discussing the blonde she wants i've been mailed this
scarlett-johansson-with-platinum-blonde-hair.jpg

Now instinct is bleach & Tone. I have always used wella but she claims her old hairdresser did and it never lasted in her hair :eek: she couldnt name the shade used just seemed to insist no on the wella. I'm hoping this was just down to the bad condition etc but figured i may as well check before seeing her next week.

In the picture above i see neutral 0 tones maybe a 10 but one day she seems to say its a warm blonde then next conversation say she likes the 'coolness' of it. which i disagree with? another pair of hair eyes always comes in handy, any thoughts on shade concerning that photo? I'll need to see how her hair goes with bleach but the photo above doesn't say either end of the spectrum tone wise. she is very fair so i dont think extremes of either would do her any favours. anyone had a very pale client?

Cheers all!

Don't let your client tell you what to use. It won't be the Wella, it will be her old hairdresser that was the problem.

I agree with previous poster. I work with wella and if a client told me under no circumstances to use it I'd have to tell her to go elsewhere. I couldnt compromise my training and knowledge by using a colour house I wasn't familiar with and risk unknown results.

If you are using lightener on this clients hair then the necessary tone can only be decided once you have achieved the lift required. This looks like a 10 level shade, so there will be yellow undertones present which will need counteracting with a violet toner.

i know i can't get round her dislike of it! i've shown her swatches and she just seems to not like them.
i was thinking maybe a 10/1 as she doesn't want anything too dramatic?
i'll get the chart out again and try talk some sense! pals giving me her Schwarzkopf Igora Vibrance chart so i'll have a nosey- shes a regular so if its just changing one toner just for her then i suppose if it keeps her happy. Anyone had experience with Schwarzkopf colour?
just baffled!

I would just show the client photos in the consultation, I never show them swatches unless they absolutely insist.

In reality clients can't visualise how the colour will actually look from the swatch chart (especially considering undertones) and I think swatches often look synthetic and artificial (because they are!).

However I understand how hard it is when clients are like this, I think the best thing you can do is be confident and take control of the consultation. Once clients start getting involved in the technical side of things they can try and take control of your colour formula and it makes our job much harder, we can end up feeling like we have to explain ourselves to them!

I would go though photos with her and let her talk as much as she wants to so that she feels like you are really listening to her and hopefully she will loosen up and trust you. Good luck keep us posted!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would just show the client photos in the consultation, I never show them swatches unless they absolutely insist.

In reality clients can't visualise how the colour will actually look from the swatch chart (especially considering undertones) and I think swatches often look synthetic and artificial (because they are!).

However I understand how hard it is when clients are like this, I think the best thing you can do is be confident and take control of the consultation. Once clients start getting involved in the technical side of things they can try and take control of your colour formula and it makes our job much harder, we can end up feeling like we have to explain ourselves to them!

I would go though photos with her and let her talk as much as she wants to so that she feels like you are really listening to her and hopefully she will loosen up and trust you. Good luck keep us posted!

yeah i mean i appreciate shes trying to be hands out and proactive but then she makes me more confused!!

Any thoughts on shades? just checking it's not me being blind

Schwarpskopf do sand & Ice toners which are nice I'd lean more toward sand really the pic does look warm, most toners ware off after a while anyway tho don't they?

Schwarpskopf do sand & Ice toners which are nice I'd lean more toward sand really the pic does look warm, most toners ware off after a while anyway tho don't they?
haha see every time i look at that picture my mind changes! shes very pale so im trying to decide what wont wash her out- don't want it to go too white/violet but i think anything too warm is going to make her look washed out.
this is a tricky one! :irked:

For that photo in L'Oreal I would use a 10.23 (mauve-ash/gold) maybe adding extra ash if needed to neutralise x

I saw a champagne toner in the warehouse too not sure if the brand tho could have been schwarpskopf too, it looks creamy on the whole but golden where the shadows are, u said she's pale but would u say she has a warm or cool complexion? Cool suit cool shades like ashes & warm suit warmer golds etc

I saw a champagne toner in the warehouse too not sure if the brand tho could have been schwarpskopf too, it looks creamy on the whole but golden where the shadows are, u said she's pale but would u say she has a warm or cool complexion? Cool suit cool shades like ashes & warm suit warmer golds etc

I'd say cooler- it's a difficult one as she has a very healthy glow for being as pale as she is and I worry going too ashy will just make her look drained. Normally I can immediately decide on a client but she's definitely my challenge at the moment!

Some people are a combination. If she suits more gold or silver jewellery is a good indication

Some people are a combination. If she suits more gold or silver jewellery is a good indication

Only seen her wear silver. Having a snoop at the loreal shade it looks the closest to the above picture so far.never had someone this fair I mean she has great icey blue eyes so something quite edgey I reckon she could pull off but she's in a profession where she wants her hair more subtle/national looking which is understandable. It's just finding that shade for her!:irked:

Only seen her wear silver. Having a snoop at the loreal shade it looks the closest to the above picture so far.never had someone this fair I mean she has great icey blue eyes so something quite edgey I reckon she could pull off but she's in a profession where she wants her hair more subtle/national looking which is understandable. It's just finding that shade for her!:irked:

Blue eyes is generally cool x

I used to have mine this color. It was 10/16 with 10/03 koleston so yes there was a slight warmth to it. I have blue eyes.

Latest posts

Back