Client complaining about airbrush makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
I had client today for a makeup trial and used temptu airbrush system.

The foundation and blush were blended well and no patches

the clients has come back to me this evening saying the makeup became patch and flakey.

I have been using the system for over a year now and not had any problems and have had really good feedback on it.

When I left the makeup was not patchy or flakey and checked in natural light .

Should I refund?

Is this something I've wrong?

Did she say she was happy with it before you left?

If it's not an allergy or reaction to the products, then why should you have to refund her if she verbally said she liked it before you left her premises?

Not sure where that leaves you legally, but I wonder if having some kind of disclaimer for clients that unless there's some unknown reaction to the product out of your control, and if the client is otherwise happy with their treatment before you leave the premises, then there is no refund policy.

When I left she was was very happy with it and it was checked in natural light and was not patchy

She did have a small dry area on her check and I moisturised it well , and I did tell her that A thicker airbrush application is is not the best for very dry skin areas, but she insisted on a heavier coverage.

All was blended very and checked in natural light

All I can think is that she has use something after I've gone like excessive powdering on the forehead to cause flakiness or she applied a setting spray to makeup go patchy

Advise her this is the reason a trial is advisable - to ensure no problems with colour choices and longevity or a sensitivity.

You can only advise clients what you are advised by the supplier with regard to the capabilities of the products.

Airbase for example say their make up will last all day and will endure high temperatures.

But you cannot know if an occasional client will experience difficulties.

And you cannot know when a client has had their make-up, had a nice evening out, and then thinks it would be quite nice to try and get their money back.

I am not saying this has happened, just saying all things are possible.

For this kind of treatment, there cannot be a refund ... You could soon find yourself working for nothing otherwise.

Xx

In saying that she did mention she was going out on her hen do this evening. What also didn't add up was that I was originally told that her hair trial was today and that's why she wanted her makeup done so it was done all together. What I found out this morning was when I arrived was the hair trial was never booked for today in advance, it was booked only a couple of days ago because I was coming and she was going out.

I am really glad though that took pictures!

In saying that she did mention she was going out on her hen do this evening. What also didn't add up was that I was originally told that her hair trial was today and that's why she wanted her makeup done so it was done all together. What I found out this morning was when I arrived was the hair trial was never booked for today in advance, it was booked only a couple of days ago because I was coming and she was going out.

I think jacquelineanna is right. This is your bread and butter and if every client came back and said they weren't happy after you'd done all your checks, you'd have no business because you'd be handing them back refunds.

I honestly think my idea of letting clients know that once they are happy with product before you leave, then there's no refund policy. Perhaps you could have a word with your insurers to find a way around this for future clients who might just be chancing their luck given there's no adverse reaction to the treatment.

Well it sounds like she was doing a bit of a blag for one.

For 2. No one type of foundation will suit another type of skin. So even if you did do the most amazing job of preping someone's skin yes it is possible they will have a **** result with the airbrush. It's not for everyone.

I do airbrush so at the trial I do one side of the face with it then the other side I do with normal foundation then leave it up to them to decide which they like best as they do wear differently throughout the day.

Personally, I think airbrush is crap (I use airbase) compared to usual foundation (there are some amazing brands out there). But with make-up everything is very personal so each to their own. Also, if I don't use airbrush at the trial I get calls a week later saying 'ooo you do airbrush I want to try that' so I have to get them back in for another trial. So at the trial I do one half of the face in airbrush and the other half in normal foundation and leave it up to them to choose.

Please let me know how you get on as I am obsessed with foundation so I'm always interested to learn more and just get feedback on personal use. xxx

I also use graftobain hd Creme makeup too, so I do have alternatives to use.

The client isn't wanting a refund, but it was her mother that got in touch and not the client.

Also when it came to paying they said they hadn't brought any cash and wanted to pay by bacs.

Fortunately I had my card machine and they paid.

All very strange as I've never had this before with airbrush makeup and when I left they were super happy.

How should I reply to them or should just leave it

Maybe something like -

Thank you for letting me know the make-up wasn't compatible with your (daughter's) skin - this is why a trial is so important!

It would not be advisable to use these products on the actual event day given the outcome, but if you and your daughter are still happy to go ahead with the next appointment make-up, perhaps we could use a mix of professional products combined with her own?

Alternatively I appreciate that you may both decide it might be better for your daughter to do her own make-up. In this instance I would be happy to give you a couple of tips re application techniques if you would like.

Let me know which you would like to do.

Kind regards

She has got back to my saying that she had an allergic reaction and had to remove it at 5 pm (I put in on at8am) I did a patch test 3 days before and there was no reaction and she was happy to proceed.

The mother wants 50% refund.

Doe any have the number for salon gold out of hours.? As I can not find that number on my documents

Thank her again for her response and say you are sorry there has been a reaction but you followed procedure and did the patch test to protect against this situation, all was well and you did the make-up treatment in good faith. You are entitled to be paid for the service you provided and therefore will not agree to a partial or full refund.

You hope she understands your position and you wish her well.

If she says anything else, thank her, and advise her that you cannot comment further on the subject directly with her but you will be happy to communicate via a more official approach.

Good luck

Have sent them an email

I think they are just mugging me off, what nasty people!

It's very sad when people try to get something for nothing from tiny independent businesses.

I really hope it ends ok ... Let us know xx

Brilliant advice jaquelineanna!

I don't know if they're just at it with you, to save some money after having a full day with it on, but it wouldn't surprise me!

I once had a hair extension client, had an offer on that month so she got them for cheaper than normal, and I hardly made any profit ( had the offer on to expand my portfolio and clientele ) .. She then 'never had money' for maintenance appointments and after 2 months told me the hair was shedding loads and wanted a full refund ... Eh no chance ! I explained she was well overdue her maintenance and offered to return for her Maintenance appointment at the charge and didn't hear back for another couple of weeks, then she was demanding a refund again saying the hair was a mess and was extremely thin , to which I gave the same reply about returning and seeing them and under no circumstances would a refund be given, especially after 2/3months !
She eventually gave up, tbh I don't even know who removed them as I also gave her that option and the charge and had no reply to that haha!!

Before this instance I never thought people would do this, but unfortunately there are a lot of chancers out there! Just stand your ground , giving a refund means you're accepting responsibility for something that 1. Isn't your fault 2. Probably didn't even happen anyway! Xx

Told her that I had confirmation in writing that the patch was negative and I can't can be held responsible for her daughters reaction.

She emailed me back to say that the reason she didn't tell me at the trial as she didn't want to embarrass me!

She the said that her daughters allergic reaction is a side issue and wanted take that out of the equation.

She said said she was unhappy about the eyeshadow her daughter had, well it's the one she chose.

She is unhappy that it only lasted until 12 noon, I very sorry but I did say I couldn't guarantee how long it was last and I told her in front of you and at the consultation

I told her very politely I have done patch tests and given your daughter advice based on my many years of experience, however through she has gone against my advice.

Why should I refund her for her daughters poor choices?

She not happy that I won't refund her, that I am not happy and she will not recommend me.

This woman is nuts

Her daughter (mum and daughter are both nurses) offered to give a epi pen to me ever though I am not on a prescription for them for my nut allergiy WTF

Last edited:
So her daughter had an allergic reaction to the patch test, but she didn't say because she didn't want to embarrass you? And she offered to give you an epi pen, medication that usually requires a doctors prescription?

Are they completely bonkers? Yes!

She didn't say she didn't like the makeup because they didn't want to offend me, yeah right like the mother is a shrinking violet.

When I was there they said how happy they were it and asked about the wedding day timing and spoke like they wanted to book.

She had a patch test and confirmed that it was negative and she confirmed again at the trial it was negative. I can not be held responsible is she then has a reaction.

They are both nuts.

They were prepared to give prescription drugs without a prescription or inject me against my will. I told her I didn't want or need it.

I glad I brought my husband and he dropped me off/picked me up

She didn't say she didn't like the makeup because they didn't want to offend me, yeah right like the mother is a shrinking violet.

When I was there they said how happy they were it and asked about the wedding day timing and spoke like they wanted to book.

She had a patch test and confirmed that it was negative and she confirmed again at the trial it was negative. I can not be held responsible is she then has a reaction.

They are both nuts.

They were prepared to give prescription drugs without a prescription or inject me against my will. I told her I didn't want or need it.

I glad I brought my husband and he dropped me off/picked me up

I am sure you will keep all this written evidence but I just wanted to say it anyway!

Some of the stuff she has said is indeed bonkers ... this is my new word for the week :)

Stop fretting about it now, she has shown you who she is.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back