Client not paid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liberty_n

Reaction score
Hi ladies, just need a bit of advice on how to go about this. I have a client who has been regular for about 4 years now, lovely lady but can be such a pain! Always at least 10/15 mins late and once or twice has been slightly short when paying...but has always paid up.
She was my first client Sunday morning at 8.30am. Again 15mind late! She didn't inform me she had no cash on her but while her hair was developing she asked if she could do a bank transfer...I agreed. As she was doing it apparently her internet banking went wrong. After she left she messaged me saying her card had been blocked and could she pay me Wednesday (today) I wasnt really sure what to say back to her (this is where I'm rubbish!) well it's Wednesday and Ive not had a message from her
How do I handle this?! Do I give her the rest of the evening?
She is a lovely lady but I'm starting to get so frustrated as there always seems to be an issue of some sort!
I'm 3 weeks from having a baby too so I don't know if this is all just hormones
Any advice?

I'd wait till the morning then message her saying you haven't received anything. Was she going to try and do a bank transfer today? Or bring cash round? Either way, technically it's Wednesday till it's Thursday lol so yes I would wait just in case she arrives this evening with it. X

She said she would transfer the money and message me for details. I hate this part of my job, I don't come across it often but this lady just always has an issue, I'm so tired and don't have the patience for this [emoji51][emoji85] I also thought it was rude to even not mention she had no cash until I'd already put the colour on....again I think I'm just being touchy! X

I would just message saying hi just a quick reminder as I haven't received your payment from Sunday yet, here are my bank details again in case you mislaid them. The outstanding balance is £££ and I look forward to seeing you soon.
Don't feel embarrassed, you did the work, she is the one who should feel embarrassed.

Would you send this message tonight or tomorrow?

Completely agree with daydreams01! Stay polite and just send a cheerful reminder. She could of honestly completely forgotten to do it. As it's now 7:30 I'd personally send it tomorrow morning after 9am. Good luck and try not to stress! Xx

I get she's a 'lovely lady' and all that BUT....
She should not have had you do the service if she did not have the means to pay for it! o_O

I would not dream of having a meal in a restaurant, and then 'mention' half way though my desert, that I will pay the chef, if and when it suits me. :p

I get she's a 'lovely lady' and all that BUT....
She should not have had you do the service if she did not have the means to pay for it! o_O

I would not dream of having a meal in a restaurant, and then 'mention' half way though my desert, that I will pay the chef, if and when it suits me. :p

I know this is what I found so rude! And even an update or some form of communication would have been appreciated.
I think I will message her tomorrow morning now. Thank u all for replying! I do need a backbone [emoji85]

It's not like I pushed her for time, she chose her 8.30am appointment because she has to be out at a certain time, I was more then happy to do that time for her, bearing in mind I also have 3 children...so on a Sunday morning I had to get them all up and ready, set myself up ready for an 8.30 start...just for her to be late and tell me she didn't get out of bed until 8.20am. [emoji15] again I see that as rude...I could be being touchy though

It's not like I pushed her for time, she chose her 8.30am appointment because she has to be out at a certain time, I was more then happy to do that time for her, bearing in mind I also have 3 children...so on a Sunday morning I had to get them all up and ready, set myself up ready for an 8.30 start...just for her to be late and tell me she didn't get out of bed until 8.20am. [emoji15] again I see that as rude...I could be being touchy though
To be completely honest, I think you're very justified in being a offended. A lot of people seem to think their time is more valuable than ours. It's not plain disrespectful. The one that makes the most angry is 'oh sorry I didn't show up last time, I had work' yea, no ish, so did I m8, but because of you, I was bored out my wits. Do not book her in again till she pays you. With people who I know are liabliltys, I book them in later than I tell them, there is one particular lady who I always book in 15 minutes later than I tell her, even then sometimes she's late! This lady is lovley too, I would hate to loose her as a client, but I wish she would open her eyes sometimes a see how rude it is.

I would just message saying hi just a quick reminder as I haven't received your payment from Sunday yet, here are my bank details again in case you mislaid them. The outstanding balance is £££ and I look forward to seeing you soon.
Don't feel embarrassed, you did the work, she is the one who should feel embarrassed.

Brilliant answer - oh and I forgot to add, I wouldn't be booking her again anytime soon. X

Did she pay yet?
Maybe if her appointment is at 8.30am tell her its at 8.15am?

8.15 on a Sunday morning...FOR FREE..!!!
I don't think so:mad:

Am I the only hard hearted bit*h on here, or am I missing something....?:confused:

It's a Sunday morning, most peoples 'family time'....but you have opened your book to accommodate a regular client.

You are up, prepared for business, your room is fresh, you probably have a lovely coffee prepared for her, just waiting to be served....
Your client arrives late - again.:mad:

You carry out a professional service......but she declines payment.o_O
She has no money on her!!! so offer's to pay by transfer.....but that doesn't work...there's some kind of 'problem'.:rolleyes:
Why not go to a cash machine? :p
Anyway, day's later, still NO PAYMENT.

NO PAYMENT for you and your family, could mean, NO DINNER.

Sorry, but to me, this behavior has been creeping into our industry, like it's O.K.
To keep you waiting, with your hands out...hoping they have some small change in their pocket!!!:oops:
You should be grateful that they think you worthy of payment!!o_O

This is not 'pin money', it is our profession, and our living.

I hope your client has now cleared her dept.
If not, sorry, no more excuses, do not book her any further treatments.;)

HAPPY DAY'S:cool:

Am I the only hard hearted bit*h on here, or am I missing something....?:confused:

It's a Sunday morning, most peoples 'family time'....but you have opened your book to accommodate a regular client.

You are up, prepared for business, your room is fresh, you probably have a lovely coffee prepared for her, just waiting to be served....
Your client arrives late - again.:mad:

You carry out a professional service......but she declines payment.o_O
She has no money on her!!! so offer's to pay by transfer.....but that doesn't work...there's some kind of 'problem'.:rolleyes:
Why not go to a cash machine? :p
Anyway, day's later, still NO PAYMENT.

NO PAYMENT for you and your family, could mean, NO DINNER.

Sorry, but to me, this behavior has been creeping into our industry, like it's O.K.
To keep you waiting, with your hands out...hoping they have some small change in their pocket!!!:oops:
You should be grateful that they think you worthy of payment!!o_O

This is not 'pin money', it is our profession, and our living.

I hope your client has now cleared her dept.
If not, sorry, no more excuses, do not book her any further treatments.;)

HAPPY DAY'S:cool:
Need to take a leaf from your book , have a client who does bank transfer but always about 5 - 7 days later so annoys me , am so going to have to say something !!!

My colourist requires a 50 dollar Canadian deposit just to book a colour service with her by e-transfer at the time of booking and the remainder in cash or by e-transfer immediately after the appointment. You would never walk into a salon and get a service and not pay. Home salons and mobile and chair rental is no different! The nerve of some people. I wouldn't book her again. She doesn't respect you or you're time. Doesn't deserve your talent.

Ive had the nicest of clients mess me around with payments.

I always tell all of my customers that I have the same policy for all.

Payments must be paid and cleared by the time of appointment or cash on arrival.

In an ideal world it would be fantastic if we could trust everyone but this just isn't realistic.

I've had clients in the past ask if they can pay by bank transfer when they get home (they have told me they need a card reader to set up new payments etc) which is fair enough but in cases where i have had no choice I have agreed but I've asked them to to sign a disclaimer to confirm they will make payment immediately.

By requesting that they do this you are securing the payment somewhat but there is still no guarantee they will pay up.

Always have a quick disclaimer ready In your file incase the same thing happens again. Good luck ! X

She is a lovely lady but...
Any advice?

There are lots of words to describe your client but a lovely lady ain't one of them!
You have 3 children plus another on the way, so you're clearly a very busy woman. You get up early on a Sunday morning to do her hair and she doesn't pay you for several days or even make any serious attempt to pay or apologise and make amends.

I'd sack her as a client after she's paid up.
You really don't need clients who have zero respect for you.
You should have charged her double on a Sunday as no-one else would be interested in colouring her hair for her that early without some serious recompense.

Remind yourself on a daily basis...
You're an excellent hairdresser and a sensible businesswoman providing a good role model for your children.
You are not a personal flunky, at their beck and call when they snap their fingers!

Latest posts

Back