Client with uncontrolled hand movements - any tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffyxoxo

Sue
Reaction score
Hi,
I had a client yesterday in her 80s who was unable to keep her hands still. The biggest problem really was that as well as this she constantly pressed her fingers together and sort of on top of each other. I realise now that the standard manicure procedure that I followed was not very suitable for her it was too long winded, she ended up very tired, and the results were not good because there was several smudges and and Unevenness. If she lets me near her again I want to be more prepared! I am thinking of a shorter time with more emphasis on cleaning and soft massage and applying a very quick drying polish, ideally that only requires one coat. I would also love to find a solution to her fingers pressing together, something that would keep them separate in someway but still comfortable. Does anyone have any experience of this who can help? Many thanks!!

I have a lady with Parkinson's who comes every six weeks for hands and feet. Her feet are more jumpy than her hands.

I stick to mini treatments to keep it short as poss. So I remove old polish, cut & file nails, quick application of cream then straight to painting.
I use Vinylux which dries quickly.
For the feet I use a twisted tissue between her toes and put her flip flops on before I paint. This way she doesn't smudge the polish trying to move her feet into her shoes.

For hands, my lady isn't too bad yet with painting but in time I think it will worsen. The tissue trick might work, or maybe a toe rope? I wonder if toe separators on the fingers might work?- never tried it but you could test it on a friend first!

I have a lady with Parkinson's who comes every six weeks for hands and feet. Her feet are more jumpy than her hands.

I stick to mini treatments to keep it short as poss. So I remove old polish, cut & file nails, quick application of cream then straight to painting.
I use Vinylux which dries quickly.
For the feet I use a twisted tissue between her toes and put her flip flops on before I paint. This way she doesn't smudge the polish trying to move her feet into her shoes.

For hands, my lady isn't too bad yet with painting but in time I think it will worsen. The tissue trick might work, or maybe a toe rope? I wonder if toe separators on the fingers might work?- never tried it but you could test it on a friend first!

I wondered about the toe separators too! Do you still use base and top coat with Vinylux? I’ve never used it. The application of four coats was way too much we ended up with varnish everywhere, I would really like to get to maybe two coats if possible.

You don't need a basecoat with vinylux xx

I have a client who suffers from functional dystonia on her arm; uncontrolled spasms which are triggered by nerve cells which are damaged due to an injury. Best way is to make the client feel relaxed and be in a posture that may reduce involuntary actions. Ask the client what works best for them.

This might help if the cause is ataxia, often shaking in one limb is reduced when another is moving so to steady a hand tap a foot up and down. Sounds nuts but it often did the trick when I worked in OT many years ago.

If you find a fast dry polish then experiment to see if massage reduces or increases hand movements and juggle your service around to suit if necessary. ie paint before massage.

Would it he!p with the finger pressing if you asked the lady to hold a ball or something while you paint?

I wondered about the toe separators too! Do you still use base and top coat with Vinylux? I’ve never used it. The application of four coats was way too much we ended up with varnish everywhere, I would really like to get to maybe two coats if possible.

I do:
Scrub fresh
Vinylux colour x2
Let that dry for say 3 mins (tidy up my area)
Apply top coat
Sort out next appointment and payment
Spray with the cnd solar speedy stuff (sorry forgotten the name!)
Get her car keys out for her to hold ready
Open all doors for her and away she goes!!

Thank you everyone, lots of ideas, I really hope I get the chance to improve the experience for her. Gonna try Vinylux and take on board all the comments about posture and independent limb movements, the client didn’t even really like putting both arms out in front of her at the same time. I found this at Capital...it might just work, she can curl her fingers around the end hopefully.

Really, thanks guys

Attachments

• DB7289B6-00B7-4D53-9956-54FAEA708FBD.png
    DB7289B6-00B7-4D53-9956-54FAEA708FBD.png
    539.9 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back