Clients not happy, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hailskay

Reaction score
So did my clients hair today virgin 6 all over,used 6/47 colour touch 4% she said too red so then used 6/7 with bit of 5/0 1.9% as she still wanted to see some red but deepen it,not she's saying she wants it back brown!!what do I do?do I use a colour remover?do I just put a 6/71 on it?i know green neutralises red but what mixtone would I add as wella don't do a green in salon services X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1453394572.838629.jpg
what's best to use to change back to a chocolate brown?

Yeah i'd do colour remover before anything!

Ok great....I've never used a colour remover [emoji85][emoji33]could you advise me on what one to use?sorry or what if I mixed blondor,shampoo and 6% or too strong a product?x

Ok great....I've never used a colour remover [emoji85][emoji33]could you advise me on what one to use?sorry or what if I mixed blondor,shampoo and 6% or too strong a product?x

I haven't tried it yet but the goldwell remover has good reviews.

Make sure you really get rid of all those molecules.

Well you're hoping the colour touch hasn't exposed any warmth so it should take it back to its originals state however that may not be the case.

You can always apply 6/71 after the colour remover.

Quick lesson in how they work.

Colour Strippers

E.g. Effasor and any bleach based mixes. These contains bleaching chemicals and strips colour (both natural and artificial) from the hair. It does cause some damage in the same way any application of lightener does but adding Olaplex to your mix should limit the damage.

You may also find some degree of patchiness depending on colour build up, especially if the client has been using box colours, but obviously not in this case.

Colour Reducers/Removers

Affinage Eraser, Rusk Elimin8, Blondie Rae etc.

These shrink the permanent colour molecules which are removed from the hair when rinsing. That's why you have to rinse the hair for at least five minutes and it also helps if you actively agitate the hair rather than just leaving the shower head flowing over it. Depending on amount of colour build up, you will probably need to re-apply 2-3 times.

The end result will not be the client's original natural colour though, because of the peroxide used in the original tinting process will have naturally lightened the hair a little, even if they had a darker tint applied!

Also, always apply another oxidising tint afterwards. If you don't do this immediately, any few remaining tint molecules will re-oxydise and the hair will still look coloured (albeit with less colour than previously so it might look a bit translucent).

If someone wants to lighten their hair that has been tinted quite dark and/or with quite a build up of tint, I'd generally go for a colour reducer and charge accordingly as you'd need to set aside enough time to complete several processes. You might be able to use a normal tint + peroxide mix to achieve the desired outcome or depending on how light they want to go, you might still need to use a bleach mix and apply highlights or consider using a balayage technique (as this is generally quicker).

You can theoretically go from black to blonde in one day with little damage but that depends entirely on the state of the hair and you should always charge a realistic price for your work. After all, if the client goes down the highlighting route instead, it will take several sessions and the costs will still add up.

Hope that helps? :)

This is amazing information Thankyou soooo much!!if I use 6/71 1.9% after the colour remover will it go much darker or not if I rinse throughly?really appreciate all the info and advice!!xx

Quick lesson in how they work.

Colour Strippers

E.g. Effasor and any bleach based mixes. These contains bleaching chemicals and strips colour (both natural and artificial) from the hair. It does cause some damage in the same way any application of lightener does but adding Olaplex to your mix should limit the damage.

You may also find some degree of patchiness depending on colour build up, especially if the client has been using box colours, but obviously not in this case.

Colour Reducers/Removers

Affinage Eraser, Rusk Elimin8, Blondie Rae etc.

These shrink the permanent colour molecules which are removed from the hair when rinsing. That's why you have to rinse the hair for at least five minutes and it also helps if you actively agitate the hair rather than just leaving the shower head flowing over it. Depending on amount of colour build up, you will probably need to re-apply 2-3 times.

The end result will not be the client's original natural colour though, because of the peroxide used in the original tinting process will have naturally lightened the hair a little, even if they had a darker tint applied!

Also, always apply another oxidising tint afterwards. If you don't do this immediately, any few remaining tint molecules will re-oxydise and the hair will still look coloured (albeit with less colour than previously so it might look a bit translucent).

If someone wants to lighten their hair that has been tinted quite dark and/or with quite a build up of tint, I'd generally go for a colour reducer and charge accordingly as you'd need to set aside enough time to complete several processes. You might be able to use a normal tint + peroxide mix to achieve the desired outcome or depending on how light they want to go, you might still need to use a bleach mix and apply highlights or consider using a balayage technique (as this is generally quicker).

You can theoretically go from black to blonde in one day with little damage but that depends entirely on the state of the hair and you should always charge a realistic price for your work. After all, if the client goes down the highlighting route instead, it will take several sessions and the costs will still add up.

Hope that helps? :)

What about just applying developer afterwards? Have you tried that?

What about just applying developer afterwards? Have you tried that?
Do you mean just applying 6% all over after rinsing off the first stage?x

Do you mean just applying 6% all over after rinsing off the first stage?x

Yeah to make sure all the molecules are out, if it starts to darken again you have to do the whole thing again x

Wow this is soo annoying!!shes happy to pay as its her change of mind,bloody hate reds sometimes [emoji85]x

Just to add:
when applying tint after using a colour reducer, you normally need to choose a tint preferably two shades lighter than your intended result as it will always go a little darker on initial application.
Obviously, check the instructions on whichever product you use.

Just a heads up, I struggled to find any Goldwell colour remover and someone on here said it had been discontinued.

I've used Affinage. That was good too and has a stage 3 which is basically the same as using peroxide and water.

im almost 80% sure that colour touch are semi permenent colours, so why would you strip the hair completely its virgin hair before that colour. why not try a shampoo three ( deep clarifying ) put it on the hair dry, under heat for 15 minutes rinse off shampoo again, youll find majority of colour would have lifted out anyway. in which case you could go over it with a i dunno 6/07 or somthing so its warm but you got the natural tones there aswell. im not sure if they do that in colour touch but they do in KP.. im more familiar with paul mitchell colours but i hope this can help you xx

im almost 80% sure that colour touch are semi permenent colours, so why would you strip the hair completely its virgin hair before that colour. why not try a shampoo three ( deep clarifying ) put it on the hair dry, under heat for 15 minutes rinse off shampoo again, youll find majority of colour would have lifted out anyway. in which case you could go over it with a i dunno 6/07 or somthing so its warm but you got the natural tones there aswell. im not sure if they do that in colour touch but they do in KP.. im more familiar with paul mitchell colours but i hope this can help you xx

Your 20% precedes you.

Colour touch is an oxidising semi permanent (a.k.a demi, quasi) that penetrates into the cortex. It will require colour remover or bleach to come out or the client will have to wait months for it to shampoo out and then after than the hair will have been lightening from the 4%.

Last edited:
Just to add:
when applying tint after using a colour reducer, you normally need to choose a tint preferably two shades lighter than your intended result as it will always go a little darker on initial application.
Obviously, check the instructions on whichever product you use.
Ok that's useful to know,will this be ok to do the same night after the removing process?because I used the colour touch today is the remover OK to apply up to the roots?x

Goldwell colour remover purchased!!

Ok that's useful to know,will this be ok to do the same night after the removing process?because I used the colour touch today is the remover OK to apply up to the roots?x

Yes, I always apply the new colour immediately after completing the removal process.

Yes, I always apply the new colour immediately after completing the removal process.
It says on instructions about if you want to check how much colour of as actually removed during the application of the colour remover to apply 6% and water for 3 mins,now I'm probably being very thick but does this mean on top of the remover before washing off or meaning once I've thoroughly washed off the hair?i wasn't sure I could put that on top of the remover?

It says on instructions about if you want to check how much colour of as actually removed during the application of the colour remover to apply 6% and water for 3 mins,now I'm probably being very thick but does this mean on top of the remover before washing off or meaning once I've thoroughly washed off the hair?i wasn't sure I could put that on top of the remover?

After you've washed it off.
The peroxide will revive any remaining colour molecules and you'll know if you need to re-do the remover, apply a quick bleach wash (rarely) or go straight on with the colour.

Latest posts

Back