Clients wanting half price treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soriminah

Reaction score
I have had a potential client text me last week about getting a massage. The cost and how much notice do I need for an appointment.

I text him back saying $60 per hour and can usually do that day or the next.

Then he text back this morning (a week later) and asked if I know of any training centers that offer half price massage as he can't afford full price massage. I am by no means expensive - I am the lower end of prices in the area.

I text back and said that the colleges are towards the city - gave him the name of the suburbs. Where I live is about 45 mins from the CBD or these other suburbs - he lives in the same suburb as me.

Then he wanted to know if I do cheaper prices. I said $30 for 30 minutes - I don't advertise half hour massages but thought I'd offer it.

He then text back asking if I would do $30 for the full hour.

I replied back 'No. It costs a lot of money to become qualified and the ongoing fees we need to pay each year for continuing education courses, insurance, first aid & CPR, association memberships, consumables, towels, advertising and more costs thousands a year which is why therapists charge what we do.'

I can't get over the cheek of some people. I wanted to write something else :evil: but thought better of it in case he then tells others that I sent him a nasty reply..lol

This is the first time I have ever been asked for a half price treatment. Anyone else get asked to do the same?

The best thing to do is be polite but ignore people like this. Engaging them in conversation usually just gets them thinking that you will be open to whatever they are after.

I would have the same as you pointed them in the direction of the colleges etc but in my opinion the mistake you made was offering the half hour massage, as you showed that you are open to compromising offering the half hour when he had already shown himself to be trying to get a deal.

When people ask the price of something then say its too much I say fine. This weeds out the ones looking for a discount as if they want it they will come back and pay, and a lot do (but they would have taken the discount had it been offered).

Remember that we are providing a service that is not necessary (however some clients might think it is) to keep people alive. It is a service that improves peoples lives and gives them something for their DISPOSABLE INCOME. If they dont get a massage or a beauty treatment, they will not go hungry, lose their home or other terrible event. If they cant afford it they will have to wait until they can or choose another option like a college etc.

I understand your frustration but people will always try it on and if im honest, telling them all about it taking a lot to be qualified and what its worth etc doesn't affect their opinion at all, and they dont really care. They just go to the next therapist and try it on again. Explaining too much often just wastes your own energy and time.

Latest posts

Back