CND lamp or Gelish lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleypee

Reaction score
I am new to nails (not yet qualified or trained - training in may)
I want to buy either the gelish or cnd shellac kit but am unsure which lamp is best.

Is between the cnd led lamp and the gelish 18g led lamp.
Are they both the same or is one better?

I have had experience with gelish and think its brillient but no experience with the cnd one.
The cnd kit is much cheaper but i prefer gelish colours and wear.

Thanks in advance!

You need to buy the lamp which goes with the polish. So if you buy CND Shellac you need the CND LED lamp. Likewise if you buy Gelish then you need their lamp.

Lamps are not build the same, they have different hand positioning, uv output etc and each will have been designed to 'properly' cure a specific product.

Ah right wasnt aware of that. So if buy both brands which i was going to do i will have to buy both lamps?

Thank you for your advice :)

Yes, you would need both lamps.

Lovely thank you! Silly question, are there any universal lamps out there??
Thanks in advance ladies!

Lovely thank you! Silly question, are there any universal lamps out there??
Thanks in advance ladies!
You can use the cnd UV lamp with gelish. Although they have their own lamp they do say in the manufacturers instructions that you can use any 36w UV lamp or led lamp. They don't specifically say to use theirs.

You can use the cnd UV lamp with gelish. Although they have their own lamp they do say in the manufacturers instructions that you can use any 36w UV lamp or led lamp. They don't specifically say to use theirs.
Have u used a cnd lamp to cure gelish before? And did it cure properly?

There is no way to tell if you have a proper cure, except by scientific testing, or using the manufacturer branded lamp. Even if it seems hard that doesn't mean cured.

I think i will stick to the gelish lamp and gelish colours then.
Thank u :)

Have u used a cnd lamp to cure gelish before? And did it cure properly?
You can use the CND CFL-UV lamp to cure most UV gel polishes as their instructions generally require a 36 watt UV lamp. Gelish states that you can use a 36 watt UV lamp. I have done it and it works and it is within the manufacturer's instructions. It is another matter altogether when it comes to the LED lamps. In that case Gelish states that you must use one of their lamps.

Oh so its the uv lamps u can cross brands with not the led ones?

The CND lamp will cure Gelish, according to Nail Harmony.

Oh so its the uv lamps u can cross brands with not the led ones?

Traditional CFL-UV lamps emit a broad spectrum of light (320 to 400 nm) at a lower intensity, so they can often cure a broad range of products, often including hard gels, but it takes longer. LED lamps emit a much narrower spectrum of light (370-380nm) at a higher intensity so it takes less time. (http://www.nailsmag.com/article/91808/the-science-of-gels?Page=4)

Read the instructions for your brand which will tell you what lamps you can use for that brand. Note that CND Shellac has always been very clear that only their lamps - CFL-UV and LED - can cure Shellac; the CND CFL-UV lamp however can cure other brands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back