CND LED lamp vs UV lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.K

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was in a salon today where they offer CND Shellac.

They have two Shellac manicure options; file & polish and Shellac manicure.
The file and polish does not include cuticle work and when asked, they said nobody has complained about the shellac peeling away from the cuticle.
When I was trained, I was told to always carry out cuticle work else the Shellac will peel away...

Secondly they have the UV Lamp which cures for a lot longer than the new LED Lamp. Now some may know I have the new LED lamp and experienced Shellac chipping no matter what I do.

I also carried out a Shellac manicure with the UV lamp in the salon and saw after 5 days, the nails had chipped. :( (In my defence the polish had literally finished!)
I asked the salon if anyone has complained about chipping with the UV lamp and they said nobody had.

Now I wonder if I should cure the nails longer with my LED Lamp using the same timing as the UV lamp? The UV lamp cures a lot longer and the salon never have experienced a chipping complaint...

If you're using shellac and the Cnd LED lamp it shouldn't make a difference if you cure it for longer, as the lamp is made to cure the shellac in the set times. If you say the shellac bottle was nearly empty, the difficulty in getting our product may mean it could have been applied unevenly, which might cause chipping?
Otherwise is it just your nails you have chipping with? I have very thin, ski jumped nails and shellac struggles to lay a week on mine.. So could it be your nails? X

Led cures faster than UV lights. The cnd led lamp claims that it cures more evenly and thoroughly for even longer wear than the UV lamp. You have a problem with the shellac using both lamps? I don't think the cure time would make a difference.

Hey guys,

The file and polish does not include cuticle work and when asked, they said nobody has complained about the shellac peeling away from the cuticle.
When I was trained, I was told to always carry out cuticle work else the Shellac will peel away...

Secondly they have the UV Lamp which cures for a lot longer than the new LED Lamp. Now some may know I have the new LED lamp and experienced Shellac chipping no matter what I do.

I also carried out a Shellac manicure with the UV lamp in the salon and saw after 5 days, the nails had chipped. :( (In my defence the polish had literally finished!)
I asked the salon if anyone has complained about chipping with the UV lamp and they said nobody had.

Now I wonder if I should cure the nails longer with my LED Lamp using the same timing as the UV lamp? The UV lamp cures a lot longer and the salon never have experienced a chipping complaint...

Not to sound scheptical here but, if this is not your salon or a personal friend, do you honestly believe they would tell you the truth if they had experienced any comebacks for chipping?

*** update - sorry I might have misread, I didn't realize that you had actually carried out the service in the salon, are you working in this salon?***

Perhaps it's different over there but if I were to ask a salon about chipping or issues with products they probably wouldn't tell you or go into detail about any issues they may or may not be having.

If I recall correctly you had posted looking for some advise on shellac previously, have you tried anything that was suggested?

I'Ve only ever had issues with Shellac on a client, however I'm convinced she is a picker and doesn't follow any aftercare at all and is extremely hard on her nails.

Last edited:
Not to sound scheptical here but, if this is not your salon or a personal friend, do you honestly believe they would tell you the truth if they had experienced any comebacks for chipping?

Perhaps it's different over there but if I were to ask a salon about chipping or issues with products they probably wouldn't tell me or go into detail about any issues they may or may not be having.

If I recall correctly you had posted looking for some advise on shellac previously, have you tried anything that was suggested?

I'Ve only ever had issues with Shellac on one client, however I'm convinced she is a picker and doesn't follow any aftercare at all and is extremely hard on her nails.
Hi, yes I have taken on board all the advice, I've changed things that I was told to do differently

Hi, yes I have taken on board all the advice, I've changed things that I was told to do differently
Has any of it helped at all?

I've tested wearability and longevity on myself (and I wouldn't do this under normal circumstances but obviously was wanting to see longevity) and my shellac lasted 26 days, could have gone longer if I hadn't slammed my finger in a door, and my ladies are easily making 2 weeks, the only one that has had issues with a chip as she was literally using her nails as tools :eek: and the other that I am sure is a picker and extremely hard on her nails

Last edited:
Has any of it helped at all?

I've tested longevity on myself (and I wouldn't do this under normal circumstances but obviously was wanting to see longevity) and my shellac lasted 26 days, could have gone longer if I hadn't slammed my finger in a door, and my ladies are easily making 2 weeks, the only one that has had issues with a chip as she was literally using her nails as tools :eek: and the other that I am sure is a picker and extremely hard on her nails
How do you mean you tested the longevity?

How do you mean you tested the longevity?
I always trial things on myself first to test wearability and longevity and then a few others before offering services with those products. So for example If I decided I wanted to introduce another gel polish brand i wouldn't just purchase it and immediately start using it on clients

It doesn't matter what CND lamp you use... when used as instructed, both will cure CND Shellac. And as you said, you did experience chipping when you used both LED and UV lamps.Adjusting the time will not make it stay on any longer.

Firstly, can I ask if all products used are CND and where you have purchased these?

We also need to know if you are experiencing peeling or chipping on *every* client, as then it would suggest there is something that you are missing out or not doing.

Or if its a problem that's just occuring on your nails or just a few of your clients, then it would indicate that either the nails are too weak, and would benefit from extra help such as IBX or Nail Fresh or you are not following your own aftercare.

If you can give more details then maybe we can help regarding the chipping. I know you've tried some of the methods but you are still having problems.

Also, your Education Ambassador is there to help and support you. Give them a call. They may suggest a 1-2-1 or may just ask you for your routine.

Don't worry, you will eventually pinpoint the problem.

It doesn't matter what CND lamp you use... when used as instructed, both will cure CND Shellac. And as you said, you did experience chipping when you used both LED and UV lamps.Adjusting the time will not make it stay on any longer.

Firstly, can I ask if all products used are CND and where you have purchased these?

We also need to know if you are experiencing peeling or chipping on *every* client, as then it would suggest there is something that you are missing out or not doing.

Or if its a problem that's just occuring on your nails or just a few of your clients, then it would indicate that either the nails are too weak, and would benefit from extra help such as IBX or Nail Fresh or you are not following your own aftercare.

If you can give more details then maybe we can help regarding the chipping. I know you've tried some of the methods but you are still having problems.

Also, your Education Ambassador is there to help and support you. Give them a call. They may suggest a 1-2-1 or may just ask you for your routine.

Don't worry, you will eventually pinpoint the problem.
Hey, the products I use are all CND branded, everything I have came with the kit I brought from Ellisons.

When I used the UV lamp in a salon, I think the polish chipped because the polish was thick,
gloopy and next to nothing was left in the bottle

Hi I've just done my own shellac nails at home (I used to do acrylics in a salon) using a $10 UV lamp bought on Gumtree in Australia so far so good, however I did cure them for 2 Min each layer, they don't feel soft or too hard. I heard so much about having the CND brand of UV or it wouldn't work.
I'll keep you updated with how long they last.

There is no way to tell that you got a complete cure. This can lead to all kinds of problems, including allergies and sensitivities. Use the CND lamp.

Hi I've just done my own shellac nails at home (I used to do acrylics in a salon) using a $10 UV lamp bought on Gumtree in Australia so far so good, however I did cure them for 2 Min each layer, they don't feel soft or too hard. I heard so much about having the CND brand of UV or it wouldn't work.
I'll keep you updated with how long they last.
Its nothing to do with how long they last or how soft/hard they are etc, having the wrong lamp can cause undercuring which can result in all sorts of problems for your clients and we're not talking about peeling or chipping. Are you really willing to take that risk?

There is no way to tell that you got a complete cure. This can lead to all kinds of problems, including allergies and sensitivities. Use the CND lamp.
Well as I said I will let you know what happens. I've seen a lot of blogs about this and plenty have done it and succeeded. I'm no longer doing nails in a salon it's just for me, friends and family.

Well as I said I will let you know what happens. I've seen a lot of blogs about this and plenty have done it and succeeded. I'm no longer doing nails in a salon it's just for me, friends and family.

Even more of a reason to not put their health at risk no?

A gel will appear fully cured at only 50% cured, It will still look hard and have a shine to it. By using the incorrect lamp it's very likely that you are overexposing your family and friends to uncured gel. You will not see a reaction straight away, but given time , with repeated exposure to uncured gel your family and friends are at a much higher risk of adverse skin reactions and allergies. Once this reaction has happened it's permanent and they will more than likely never be able to wear most professional nail coatings again .

Something to think about?

Do you really think that bloggers are going to report that misuse of a lamp caused their clients allergies and other problems?

Hey guys,

The CND LED has a higher intensity of UV light, that is why it works quicker. With the UV lamp it has a lower intensity so needs to cure for longer. In the end they both give out the same amount of UV light needed to cure any shellac coating.

There is something else going on here I think :) I'd be happy to trouble shoot with you?

Is it just your own nails or clients?

Even more of a reason to not put their health at risk no?

A gel will appear fully cured at only 50% cured, It will still look hard and have a shine to it. By using the incorrect lamp it's very likely that you are overexposing your family and friends to uncured gel. You will not see a reaction straight away, but given time , with repeated exposure to uncured gel your family and friends are at a much higher risk of adverse skin reactions and allergies. Once this reaction has happened it's permanent and they will more than likely never be able to wear most professional nail coatings again .

Something to think about?
Is this a CND sight? If so I understand the defensiveness.
The only reason an infection would happen is if the nails are not cleaned with isopropyl alcohol properly, by the way I wash my hands and nails with an antibacterial wash first then alcohol, I cuticle clear and then clean again with alcohol, I then file and clean again with alcohol. The other reason is if there is lifting where moisture can get in and lifting can be seen and if lifting happens then it need repairing ASAP. I don't believe we have to spend $300 or more on a lamp if a less expensive lamp can do both. So are you also say we should not us CND lamp on other companies products because of the same issues you raises before, are you also telling salons that if you have set up your salon with 20 uv lamps to cure gel then you'd be stupid to try shellac because you'd need to go and purchase 20 shellac lamps, if so shellac CND are loosing a lot of the market that can't afford their lamp.
Something to think about

No, it's not because it's cnd. If you used another brand you'd be expected to use the correct lamp. Which is perhaps why you see good salons using one system, if you buy another system you've got to buy the lamp etc.

Have you looked at what Doug Schoon says on uv lamps?.

No, it's not because it's cnd. If you used another brand you'd be expected to use the correct lamp. Which is perhaps why you see good salons using one system, if you buy another system you've got to buy the lamp etc.

Have you looked at what Doug Schoon says on uv lamps?.
I've had a look at Doug Soon but it still doesn't say you absolutely cannot use one over the other. Many salons use one lamp for two different systems of gel and a lot of blogs and forums are saying that there using that same uv light on Shellac and having no issues and they have done it on themselves, so if there is no issue no one is going to convince me I need the CND over a cheaper one, yes the curing time may need to be longer but who cares. The last person who also responded saying about infections and allergic reactions, is the same for anything you use. It's the cleanliness and the way it's done that causes issues not the product and the light. All I'm saying if it works and all is ok then why spend a lot of money on something you don't need. I'm not saying it's not the best lamp out, it probably is, but for me until I can see there is a need for it I'm happy with my second hand $10 UV lamp.

Latest posts

Back