CND Shellac fading on holiday

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sah77

Reaction score
Hi, Does anyone have any proven tips or tricks to reduce the fading you get with the pinks when clients go on holiday wearing Shellac? I know this is a known problem and just wondering if anyone had found a way around it apart from the usual advice of wiping off sun cream from the nails, drying them after swimming etc. I've tried 2 topcoats but still doesn't work. I'd love to know if there are any colours that don't fade and does the fading happen when using the pigment powders too? Thanks. x

Yep it is a problem with certain ones, for me they are; Hot Pop Pink, Gotcha, Lobster Roll and Pink Bikini. I tell clients this could happen and if they still want to go ahead with the colour then I advise them that to lessen the effect, wash hands/use wipes to clean nails after applying sun cream or going in the pool, the higher the DEET (think its insect repellent) content in the sun cream and the amount of time they spend in direct sunlight the more likelihood of them fading are. Apart from that I've got nothing!!!

Karaxxx

I'm not really sure either. Normally my toes are fine and never fade, I always wear Tropix on holiday - I did my sister's in Tropix and hers were almost white when she came back. I did mine this year in Tropix and they were exactly the same, almost white! I couldn't believe it. No tips I'm affraid. x

Add glitter ... Never fades ;-)

The main cause is the chlorine levels in the pool and then the heat from the sun. Most people tend to find their toes end up worse than their hands and I think it's because they point directly up to the sun which then reacts with the bleach in the chlorine. This doesn't happen to all colours but pinks tend to be worse. The glitter idea could be good.

I've been wearing HotPop Pink during my annual leave in this beautiful weather and can report that the sun alone can bleach, as it did mine. I'm sad to say that I never went near a hot tub or a pool, but spent lots of time outside in the sun without sunscreen. So nothing came in contact with my nails to increase the effects of the sun. The fading was minimal, but it was there.

For my mums holiday to the south of France for a wedding, she was adamant she wanted hot pop pink, to match he outfit for the wedding on the second day.
I applied 3 coats of colour and two of top. She was there two weeks and they came back practically the same colour.
- I had purposefully painted mine the same colour the day before to compare and there was very minimal difference. Hope this helps!

Haven't tried with shellac yet but Gelish Go Girl is a fader. Someone gave me the tip of putting coat of Simple Sheer over the top, ie clear Gelish 'colour' polish, followed by top coat. Made a big difference.

Latest posts

Back