College project

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa-Marie90

Reaction score
hi everyone!

looking for a bit of help, im a level 3 hair student and were having a catwalk show at college as part of our assesments (being held a week before christmas), my groups theme is avante garde!

for my model ive decided to do a sort of dark queen theme, ive sorted hair and makeup im just trying to get ideas for the dress, ive ordered a hoop skirt from ebay so i can make a dress over the top of it...just not sure what i can use to make the dress as cheap as possible! i spent quite a bit already on my model so trying to really keep the cost down now with christmas just around the corner :( any ideas? x

Try find a really cheap old wedding dress from charity shop or eBay then due it dark purple or whatever your theme is. Or go down a fabric shop/market and buy few meters of dark satin fabric, pretty sure you'll find patterns etc for free on the Internet.
Or any of the goth shops with a sale on?! Corset over a maxi dress, that sort of thing?

this sounds really daft but for my 2nd year avant garde model I made a dress from a corset, two cheap voile curtain panels from Primark and a couple of cans of spray starch to make the skirt section really stiff and moldable x

I know its crazey...but black plastic bin liners,pull it tight it can look like rubber, or you can srunch it to make flowers, shred it ect ect...and very cheap :green:

Do you have a fashion or costume course within the college? Why not approach those classes to see if they either have something that you could borrow or help you to make it?

I know its crazey...but black plastic bin liners,pull it tight it can look like rubber, or you can srunch it to make flowers, shred it ect ect...and very cheap :green:

when i first read this comment i was like..bin bags?! but now i have so many ideas on how to use them! thankyou so much i would never have even thought to use them! and yes very cheap!!

thankyou everyone for replying some great ideas :D

xx

As suggested I would do bin liners too will look good on the camera too with the shine! Good luck :) I loved all the crazy comps at college! Xx

You could try fabric shops for off cuts there normally pretty cheap 😊 xxx

thankyou, i think im going to try and use bin bags and fabric together! perfect for avante garde :p thankyou everybody!! x

Latest posts

Back