College students

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe96

Reaction score
Whose a college student geek out there? How do you guys get people in to do assessments on in college, do any of you have jobs as a junior in a salon aswell as college? And how much do you charge for doing friends and family? Xx

I am! I just asked on Facebook none stop! Grabbed girls from other groups to work on! And also went in out of my normal hours to work in the professional salon so if a client booked in with me that I could get assessed on id do it! But i was allowed to do that cos I had already completed half before getting pregnant and they were pushing me to finish by Christmas so I could start working on my level 3! But I doubt they will stop you wanting to come in on extra days if your struggling on certain days to get people in! I don't work along side it as I don't want my daughter in childcare all week! But being on level 3 now I work in their professional salon once a week! But I do my friends/family hair and nails/makeup (I already had these qualifications) from home. Before I got my level 2 i didn't charge I just said if you want to tip me you can! But now I have my level 2 I charge what I consider more than reasonable prices for the hair and normal prices for the nail/make up work

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Can you design a simple poster asking for models for inexpensive cuts/colours etc. and put copies up locally? Explain that all work is fully supervised and using professional products.

Try your local community centre, pub/club, gym. etc.

Also, try to swap clients with other students so you do your Aunty Brenda one week and another student gives her a cut 6 weeks later. Then she gives her mum some highlights and you do her mum's colour another time. That way you can both pass an assessment using the same client.

I'm a student, luckily my college gets in most of the models for me because they know I'm not local and don't know anyone who can easily come in. I try to just befriend the clients I get so they ask for me again.

I took every chance going. A lot of students where I go didnt want to do clients at first so I did all of them. Ive had my nan and mum in too though. Best advice is dont turn down a client because youre scared or cant be bothered. I dont junior at a salon but because Im doing an nvq 2 I have to do 34 hours voluntary so I am looking for one xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

I took every chance going. A lot of students where I go didnt want to do clients at first so I did all of them. Ive had my nan and mum in too though. Best advice is dont turn down a client because youre scared or cant be bothered. I dont junior at a salon but because Im doing an nvq 2 I have to do 34 hours voluntary so I am looking for one xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've got a fantastic placement the owner lets me do many clients I want as long as I provide my own colours and products etc it's fab!!! If you can get a good placement it really helps just wish I could get the ammount of people I do on my placement to come into college

My placement was in the college salon so I did my assessments on paying clients that came into the salon! Leading up to Christmas they were glad to have an extra person on the rota to get more clients booked in! I got and extra full day for assessments and more people wanting colours and cuts which is hard to find people for!
Why don't you ask your clients if they would mind letting you do assessments on them at college! As long as you explain to your boss your not stealing just borrowing for an assessment he/she maybe ok letting you do that

Can I just ask one quick question to you students.Your placement is 1 day a week right? When you on yours holidays at college do you still have to attend your placement?
This is for a friend who has a student at her salon at the minute.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeh! And on level 3 you still have to attend salon days during half term

Can I just ask one quick question to you students.Your placement is 1 day a week right? When you on yours holidays at college do you still have to attend your placement?
This is for a friend who has a student at her salon at the minute.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

When i had a day off collage i had to go into work as i was still getting paif

I'm in college too, Facebook has helped me loads with clients, and advertising on gumtree has brought a lot of clients in as well :)

I always go into my placement on extra days in half term as I have friends from school wanting there hair done who can't come in on my usual day of placement x I think I'm gonna have to advertise in gum tree or something

Im a student and my college has a professional salon that we work in, but even that makes getting clients difficult sometimes. I just ask around on facebook, and also college. Make little posters advertising treatments and how cheap they are as its a college environment? Just make sure you do mention that its a college and you are still training as some people have been funny with it in my experience. But good luck! X

I'm at college (lvl2 hair) & i can't get people in at all, even though i'm offering them FREE cut/colour or treatment etc ( Ive said ill pay ) but nope...my own family wont, & ppl on facebook say they will but when it comes down to it ..they dont. x

Aw I'd love to be a model/client for college. Beauty or hair. I do beauty but I used to go in for my cousin the hairdresser all the time!

Laura xx

I'm at college (doing beauty) we have to get our own clients in! I'm lucky enough to work in an office of about 500 people so always have models but I know some of the others really struggled xx

Latest posts

Back