Colour advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just qualified as a hairdresser and a friend wants me to do her hair , she got the hair records so this is what they said pre lightner (bleach) with 9% and the toner was 10/0 % 8/81 mixed with pastel... I am very confused to what pastel to get as I've never done pastel... Or toners, so what ratios would I do these and what pastel colour?? Please be nice I'm still learning).

I've just qualified as a hairdresser and a friend wants me to do her hair , she got the hair records so this is what they said pre lightner (bleach) with 9% and the toner was 10/0 % 8/81 mixed with pastel... I am very confused to what pastel to get as I've never done pastel... Or toners, so what ratios would I do these and what pastel colour?? Please be nice I'm still learning).

What level are you qualified to hun? :)

Pastel is a developer I think from wella, please don't use 9% on someone's scalp too it'll burn, diddnt they cover toning in your training? How do u think it works?

(I am being nice lol jus wondering what your thoughts are) x

Okay you wouldn't use pastel with 8/81 as it's in the colour touch range, you'd use colour touch emulsion 1.9% for toning, and like another geek said don't use 9% on scalp with bleach, would use 6% but depending on her natural depth you could use a highlift instead? What's her natural depth and tone?

What level are you qualified to hun? :)

Pastel is a developer I think from wella, please don't use 9% on someone's scalp too it'll burn, diddnt they cover toning in your training? How do u think it works?

(I am being nice lol jus wondering what your thoughts are) x
I'm qualified in level 2 so habe another year to do colour correction etc. I found out they used wella. I know toners like you leave them on 10 minutes, but I've never worked with wella, what ratio will I do?? Half and half of 10/0 and 8/81?

I'm qualified in level 2 so habe another year to do colour correction etc. I found out they used wella. I know toners like you leave them on 10 minutes, but I've never worked with wella, what ratio will I do?? Half and half of 10/0 and 8/81?

Toners aren't left on a specific amount of time. You watch them and see them working. You could mix say 15ml 10/0 with 15ml 8/81 with 30ml colour touch emulsion 1.9%

Okay you wouldn't use pastel with 8/81 as it's in the colour touch range, you'd use colour touch emulsion 1.9% for toning, and like another geek said don't use 9% on scalp with bleach, would use 6% but depending on her natural depth you could use a highlift instead? What's her natural depth and tone?

She is just habing her roots done so would I just apply the toner to roots? This may take to long?? Thank you so much for your help!! Hopefully after next year I will be more knowledgeable

She is just habing her roots done so would I just apply the toner to roots? This may take to long?? Thank you so much for your help!! Hopefully after next year I will be more knowledgeable

Depends if her ends are faded or not. What's her natural base colour?

I'm not being negative here but You shouldn't really attempt it without experience tbh, it could take too much on the more porus areas and you'll be left with an uneven colour x

I'm not being negative here but You shouldn't really attempt it without experience tbh, it could take too much on the more porus areas and you'll be left with an uneven colour x

Agreed, think you should tell the client to go to a salon or wait until you're fully qualified, if it goes wrong it'll only be on you not anybody else

Why not invite her into the salon so you have the experience of your peers to help out. Have a chat with your boss. They may do a reduced rate for her if your needing on head experience so to speak. X

She is a base 4/5.0, my salon is a very basic salon we live in the country and no one ever has toners that's why I'm not very knowledgeable.

She is also wanting ash blonde.

I could tell you a wella toner to use, but may be better to use something your more familiar with... what colour brand do you use? :)

Hi Hannah, I'd get her to come to college with you that way you will learn as you do it, it's very difficult to give you a formula to get a perfect ash blonde without seeing her hair 'live'. College tutors will talk you through the processes and help you figure out out, I'm sure they stock toners. :) xx

Hi Hannah, I'd get her to come to college with you that way you will learn as you do it, it's very difficult to give you a formula to get a perfect ash blonde without seeing her hair 'live'. College tutors will talk you through the processes and help you figure out out, I'm sure they stock toners. :) xx

I totally agree doll. I don't mean to sound harsh but from what you have said, this is far too complicated a procedure for you to be attempting with such limited colour knowledge. Take her into college with you and get them to show you a demonstration, and really wrack their brains about colours, peroxide strengths and toning etc.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I completely agree. And then you will learn from this. Is she an all over lighten and tone? Toning is very basic, your college doesn't have you use one? I don't mean to sound harsh xx. That part is mind boggling.

She is a base 4/5.0, my salon is a very basic salon we live in the country and no one ever has toners that's why I'm not very knowledgeable.

If no one ever has a toner in your salon then how do they tackle warmth after lifting with bleach?

I would ask them in the salon to help you :) if they don't know how to do it then I think you should look for a new salon to work in that you can develop with x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back