Colour advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ataylor0510

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm seeing a lady tomorrow who has been colouring her hair for years herself, she now wants to switch to lowlights and to maybe go back to her natural colour very gradually.
I've suggested doing lowlights with a similar colour she has on the ends and put the odd bleach foil in and then toning it with CT 8/81, what do you think?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415376763.778067.jpg

What colour is on the ends?
What has she been using?
A strand test would be best to do really and you can't really say what your going to tone it with until you have rinsed off after development.
What "low light" are you thinking of using. Remember tint doesn't lift tint!

The ends are about a 4 so thought I would use KP 4/0 with the odd bleach foil and then a toner as she would like the lighter ones to be similar to her natural colour (grey)

The only thing with switching from all over colour to foils is as the client is so dark and then so white naturally - it will still look really block colour-ish on the ends and then the roots may look like they have been missed out...

Is she 100% white all over? I'd maybe be thinking of trying to lighten the colour all over first

Yes she is. The problem is the ends are really dry and she doesn't want any more than the usual 1/2 inch trimmed so I wouldn't be happy doing a bleach bath.

I thought if I did 2 darks to 1 light it would break it up a bit and we wouldn't see the difference so much but now thinking about it I'm not so sure!

Sent from my SM-G900F SalonGeek mobile app

Can u not do the bleach foils and paint roots on around the foils? And then as she gets lighters with her foils then start going lighter with ur root colour until you can eventually get away with not painting on the root. Telll her it's going to be a long process that's not going to happen over night.

I also think aiming for base 8 with ur foils Hun is a bit sceptical. It's going to lift up very warm most likely so maybe aim for a 7? X

The thing is if she wants to eventually go natural is will HAVE to eventually grow out some sort of colour. You really aren't going to get white highlights in that base, and if you did she would look like a badger.

The thing is if she wants to eventually go natural is will HAVE to eventually grow out some sort of colour. You really aren't going to get white highlights in that base, and if you did she would look like a badger.

I can't bear that either, when people have stripes as highlights.

Thanks all for your helpful comments, it's confirmed what I thought, she's either going to look like a badger or she will need to grow the colour out gradually.
So should I try to strip some of the colour out with a bleach bath so I can get it 1 or 2 shades lighter and then foil it with bleach and maybe 6/73? Her hair isn't in the best condition so I don't want to leave the bleach bath on for too long either :o

Sent from my SM900F using SalonGeek mobile app

What has the client actually requested? An 8.81 is purple?? (I don't do wella) and a 6.73 is a brown/gold?? If she's wanting to end up grey (her natural colour) i think you need to rethink this from the beginning?

Unless you lift to a 10, 8/81 will not go grey.

I doubt that's going to a 10 :/

Sexy! Haha

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks all! I've scraped the grey hilights idea as too much colour build up and it will be an almost impossible task unless she has a magic wand!
I think I'll just do lowlights to match the colour she has on the ends and explain she needs to grow the colour out a bit if she wants the grey hilights x

Latest posts

Back