Colour bleeding in highlights-tips for clean foils please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charl9313

Reaction score
sutton coldfield birmingham uk and luqa, malta
i feel so embarssed writing this!! :o just started in a new salon, doing both cutting and colouring, however im a lot stronger in colouring.

when doing a half head highlights on my first day, the other new girl said she'd help me and foil at the same time, i didnt feel comfortable but didnt say anything. this other new girl is a lot more experienced than me and has managed a salon before,

on the left side of the head (where i was working) there was a colour bleed at the roots, the foils werent back to back so it showed them up more, i was using bleach with 6%

my grip should have been tighter i think, but because this other girl was working at the other side i think that was more my problem,

i'd really appreciate everyones tips on this, normally colour is my strong point so i feel so embarssed, i really think this girl doesnt like me either and i know she was waiting for me to leave on saturday so she could tell my new boss and exeragate. im really anxious about going into work tomorrow and being in trouble. i briefly mentioned to my new boss there was a slight bleed and she said not to worry about it, but i dont think she saw it (it wasnt actully that bad, and you couldnt see it anyway when it was styled)

but im really worried about what this new girl said to my boss when i left, i could tell she was dying for me to leave so that she could bitch away, im really worried, so not only tips for bleed in highlights but also what to say tomorrow?? im sick with worry

Hi Ya
I am training and had a similar thing happen with a junior stylist, they offered to do the other half of the head (as i am a little slow). I declined saying that the foils may look uneven if we do separate sides! Nothing more was said... I was left to carry on... no trouble!

Explain to your boss (if anything is said) it was nice of the girl to help out (even if she is a bit of a b** :D) but it was difficult to get the tension you needed to get your usual perfect standard!

I am sure all will be OK...

When I had a bleeding issue my darling coworker taught me to fold a corner down, it really does keep them from slipping.

If I use bleach i don't fold the sides in fully, I just fold the top 2 corners in as the bleach expands and if folded on the side can't use that space so just goes up and causes bleading.
With the staff, i think the boss may be shocked that a "noob" is bitching about another "noob" soo early and dosent look good, take the above persons advice of the hun even tension and results caused by sharing a head but praise the girl for being kind enough for offering (your being kind but explaining why) which is better than oh she's just getting in my way. Xoxo

Hi :) one tip that I learnt when foiling is not to put the bleach onto the root at first.... Put it on further down the hair to get rid of the excess and then work your way up towards the root.
Hope this helps xxx

Hi :) one tip that I learnt when foiling is not to put the bleach onto the root at first.... Put it on further down the hair to get rid of the excess and then work your way up towards the root.
Hope this helps xxx

I second that! Id just fold it as normal though just not too tight, even less likely to slip if youve a wobbler headed client :p

And if any do slip use foil to wrap
Round not cotton wool as it looks more professional and u won't get clients asking why they've got loads of wool on there head! Xx

Latest posts

Back