Colour correction confusion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubyreasons

Reaction score
Hello all you genius people, please could I ask for some clarification. I am qualified but have not ventured into colour correction as I don't feel all that confident with colour and am happy to leave it to those with far more experience than I have. My mum has asked me to do a colour correction on her hair and I have spent the weekend poring over colour theory and researching and trying to decide on the correct process to follow and I am now doubting myself more than ever and feel too afraid to actually make a decision. Please could you look over the facts below and point me in the right direction.

My mum was always has natural base 6 with a rich warm undertone. She dyed her hair base 4 or 5 for many years but is now about 15% grey around the front and top. She detests having to do her roots every four weeks as the grey is a stark contrast with the dark hair. She now understands that to she has to accept that she will have to go lighter to reduce the contrast between her natural hair and the greys.

I convinced her to go to the salon and they stripped the colour back to a very orange/ginger. The stylist then put on a base 6 which put my mom straight back to what she was in the first place which was incredibly frustrating to my mother.
She went back a month later and asked them to add warmth and reds back in. They did foil bleach highlights which came out a dull khaki blonde colour and then applied another round of base 6 to the rest of the hair. Her hair is just an insipid dull brown with very blah highlights but it does have a bit of gold tone to it.

She wants to be a natural base 7/0 mixed with /37 tones and highlights at about 8/34.I have considered stripping the colour again and then starting over with a 7/0 + 7/37 half and half and foils on the T section using a complimentary warm shade (not sure which I should use). Whatever I do, I need to be able to retouch her roots monthly to disguise the greys and allow them to start blending in with her over all colour (ideally moving her to a lighter base over time). I don't want to start a process that will simply create another colour correction situation a few months down the line. My idea is to take it little steps at a time and lighten her base, get her used to the reds and golds without her feeling like she is going blonde. She does not like brunette /7 colours and wants a natural red/ strawberry tonal highlights on a warm base.

Am I on the right track, or is there an option that I am missing? Such as removing colour to only part of her hair using a highlighting cap and colour remover and then putting a lighter warm brunette red onto that so that the colour is gradually lightened? Sounds a bit dodgy and may cause problems further down the line?

Right now I would really appreciate some of your collective wisdom as my mom does not want to go back to a salon because as she says 'My hairdresser never listens to me or does what I ask. She does her own thing and I have to pay the price"...
Can you help guide me, please?

Attachments

• Photo on 28-10-2017 at 21.11.jpg
    Photo on 28-10-2017 at 21.11.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 82
Use a colour reducer and then apply a tint 2 levels lighter than target so anything around a level 8 to 9. The bleached sections will come out lighter than the rest so it will still look multi-tonal.

I wonder why her original hairdresser put a 6 on afterwards? Seems an odd choice.

What about applying a colour reducer and possibly lightening then foils of 8/34 and flood with 7/35 bit of base for the root. Or too warm ? Xx

Latest posts

Back